How high can we finish next season

Vive_La_Villa

2 hours ago, Hiney said:

I think there's going to be some very disappointed people next year. 

Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs will undoubtedly be better, and I feel Man Utd will continue to progress under Ten Haag.

We were punching above our weight last season and it would take something quite exceptional to be challenging for top 4 next season, never let alone the title like some are suggesting. 

Emery has done a great job but he's not a miracle worker! 

I'd snap your hand off for Europa league qualification and a couple of good cup runs. A bit of silverware in one of the cups and 6/7th would be a fantastic season. 

I beg to differ. :D

9 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

38-40 points by Christmas and see where that takes us

Wss talking to my Dad  about this, who was 80 yesterday (we got him a villa shirt with 80 on the back and his name which I not think he will ever take off)

He is third generation Villa as I am 4th and my lads are 5th so he has seen a bit

He is thinking top five and a cup. He likened the arrival of Unai Emery as the 2nd coming of Saunders 😄

Your Dad is not the only one. I see echoes of the late 70s Villa side about us too and we all know what happened next. Belated happy birthday wishes to your Dad, by the way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finishing 7th again would be a great achievement - ideally we'd "push on" to top 6, but I feel we're getting somewhat carried away with how strong this side is versus others.

• Like 2

I believe next season the top 5 get Champions League so if we finish 5th we will be playing elite European competition. I think if we finish where we did this season (7th) we'll get Europa but not sure. So between 5th and 7th would be very good, anywhere above 5th would be an amazing season.

I'd love a trophy but don't understand those happy to finish bottom half to get one. Next season and in the coming seasons we need to become consistent in the league and be looking to finish at least top 7 every season. That is how we build up our reputation again so we can compete for the best European players. 7th and a trophy would be a great season, 5th or above without a trophy would also be great. I'd probably prefer the latter if it meant Champions League, but we are long overdue a trophy too.

• Like 1

There are only four Champions League places and there are now seven teams (Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Newcastle, Chelsea, Spurs) that all feel that their rightful place is in the competition. Every year there will be at least a couple of the teams who feel like they are failing and start to panic when they find themselves coming adrift. Sackings and panic buys follow. So, yes, Chelsea and Spurs might improve next year but there will always be a couple of those teams having a 'bad' season.

Our aim is to make sure we slip in amongst those that group, which we can do with clever recruitment. It will be difficult, but not impossible.

Ultimately, qualifying for a European competition should be our aim every season. 

• Like 1

I would be happy with any improvement points-wise on last season’s tally in the league, and would love a cup run (or 3…). The main thing is to be making progress on this season, even if that progress is small.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

So two teams who have often been in Europe and another who finished higher than us will see at least one of them struggle but Villa, who haven't been in Europe for over a decade, are going to be fine and finish not only as high as last season, but likely in a CL spot?!

This season 3 out of 4 teams in CL was struggling. Not unthinkable that something similar will happen next season too. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Agree

But would add other teams in to that too

We could spend £200m on some very good players that were all happy with (!) only to see Newcastle, Chelsea, utd etc spend more on better

Edit - its not impossible that we spend £120m on 3 very good players and Chelsea spend the same amount on one absolute world beater

Maybe, but Newcastle have CL football and their manager has never coached at that level and believe Emery has his number.Spurs still don’t have a coach and no money, no guarantee Poch makes Chelsea a Top 4 team again. I believe we can compete against Manure and Chelsea, even Liverpool, it’s whether we can be consistent against them during the whole season.

These will be the challenges and why our recruitment is so important.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

So two teams who have often been in Europe and another who finished higher than us will see at least one of them struggle but Villa, who haven't been in Europe for over a decade, are going to be fine and finish not only as high as last season, but likely in a CL spot?!

The difference is we have a manager who has experience in juggling domestic and European football. That's a massive advantage to have.

I’d say 5th at a push. 
Newcastle will spend big this summer as in champs league. 
Liverpool on their day with a couple of midfield investments will be back up there. 
Utd will spend big to stay top 4, and of course City are already too good. 

Arsenal may drop a bit after failing this yr, so I’d say between us them and Chelsea if they get their act together under Poch will be competing for 5th

On a serious realistic note instead of league position I think we should aim for 20 wins. I believe that we’re capable of doing that. The only manager who has Emery’s number is Billion Dollar EnhancePeptides. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Maybe, but Newcastle have CL football and their manager has never coached at that level and believe Emery has his number.Spurs still don’t have a coach and no money, no guarantee Poch makes Chelsea a Top 4 team again. I believe we can compete against Manure and Chelsea, even Liverpool, it’s whether we can be consistent against them during the whole season.

These will be the challenges and why our recruitment is so important.

The crucial bit....our prospects of improvement lie heavily on that.

• Like 2

I think 7th. Will depend on recruitment and hopefully not many injuries. If Emi got a bad injury for example we would really notice the difference. I feel in some ways (barring that idiot Gerrard) next season will be more difficult than this.

I am going to be pedantic here. The thread should be ``How high could we finish'', in that every team in the PL can finish first.

Having got that off my chest, I am confident we will finish at least top 6.  We would probably have been top 6 this season if Emery had been with us since the start of the season, or even if we had had a couple more decent players.

Top 4 will be incredibly difficult, but with this manager, anything is possible.

``The times they are a-changing''.

• Like 3