How high can we finish next season

Vive_La_Villa

As long as we do something in the 3 cups I'd take 7th again, just settle and establish ourselves

Focus on the league only and we should be higher

7th, a Wembley appearance obviously preferably with a win and a good run in europe would be an incredible season

• Like 1

It is very likely that ManC will win the league again.

Arsenal, ManU and Newcastle didn’t play in CL this season, I would expect at least one of them to struggle with the league form with the extra CL games.

That means there should be an opening or two for the contenders; us, Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham.

Liverpool are replacing their midfield this summer, for them it would depend how well they do in the transfer market.

Chelsea should improve under Pochettino, but they still have too many players and a clueless owner.

Tottenham needs to appoint a really good manager and keep Kane, if they fail on either of those, they end up somewhere in the middle of the table.

We need to strengthen our squad, at least in size to be able to handle additional games in Europe. This season we have lacked alternatives on the bench that could come in and change a game.

With the potential extra CL place next season, it would be 7 teams fighting for place 2-5. I believe that we will be up there fighting for one of those places, would be nice if we could get 2nd, but I would be happy with 5th.

• Like 4

don't care where we finish in the league as long as it's 17th and above...i just want to see us lift a trophy. if we don't do it under this manager we never will

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

As long as we do something in the 3 cups I'd take 7th again, just settle and establish ourselves

Focus on the league only and we should be higher

7th, a Wembley appearance obviously preferably with a win and a good run in europe would be an incredible season

That would be slightly annoying to me.  If we don’t win a cup in this hypothetical then I’d rather not a Wembley appearance, I’d rather 5th or 6th in the league (or 4th).  

Wembley experience is amazing but as good as the highs were winning the league cups, the absolute despair walking away from Wembley against Chelsea and Arsenal in the last two visits still haunts me now. I’d rather fore-sake that and get knocked a round or two beforehand and get a place higher in the league to get Europa or CL in this hypothetical.  Of course if it’s winning then sure.

I think for the growth of this club long term I’d happily get knocked out of the first round that we play in, in these three cups for a fourth place finish in the league.  Short term pain for one season but brings in that cash that can make us stronger and better prepared for future cup competition in later years.  Sad that football has come to that but it’s reality these days.  

Would love to win a cup again someday!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

It is very likely that ManC will win the league again.

Arsenal, ManU and Newcastle didn’t play in CL this season, I would expect at least one of them to struggle with the league form with the extra CL games.

That means there should be an opening or two for the contenders; us, Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham.

Liverpool are replacing their midfield this summer, for them it would depend how well they do in the transfer market.

Chelsea should improve under Pochettino, but they still have too many players and a clueless owner.

Tottenham needs to appoint a really good manager and keep Kane, if they fail on either of those, they end up somewhere in the middle of the table.

We need to strengthen our squad, at least in size to be able to handle additional games in Europe. This season we have lacked alternatives on the bench that could come in and change a game.

With the potential extra CL place next season, it would be 7 teams fighting for place 2-5. I believe that we will be up there fighting for one of those places, would be nice if we could get 2nd, but I would be happy with 5th.

So two teams who have often been in Europe and another who finished higher than us will see at least one of them struggle but Villa, who haven't been in Europe for over a decade, are going to be fine and finish not only as high as last season, but likely in a CL spot?!

• Like 4

I want to see who we bring in before making a prediction of where we will finish.

If we bring in the right players we can definitely compete for that 4th to 7th position.

Well we start level with everyone else, so anything can happen (including us winning the whole thing again, it's been too long!). I start each season with my negative hat on and target 38-40 points for survival, that achieved (the sooner, the better), I then set a top half target, before moving on to target a European place. This season, I would really love it if we did what Newcastle have done this, namely finish in the top 4. Other than that, I would be happy with continued progression, in the form of a top six finish or winning one of the three cups that we will be playing in (that's been too long too). So it's win the league! :D

image.jpeg.6d7326a9c7310027eea7e98e292c0ac1.jpeg

• Like 1

I think we could get close to to 70 points. So in the running for top 4 for a bit and be close. That's assuming we promote some youth and get more quality in the summer so we have enough bodies to handle the extra games and playing on a Thursday. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I want to see who we bring in before making a prediction of where we will finish.

If we bring in the right players we can definitely compete for that 4th to 7th position.

Agree

But would add other teams in to that too

We could spend £200m on some very good players that were all happy with (!) only to see Newcastle, Chelsea, utd etc spend more on better

Edit - its not impossible that we spend £120m on 3 very good players and Chelsea spend the same amount on one absolute world beater

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1