How high can we finish next season

Vive_La_Villa

The Emery table shows we can finish 2nd. Not likely though. We should keep qualifying for Europe. 1 or 2 cup runs and top 7th again if I am guessing before the tranfer carousel.

9 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

The Emery table shows we can finish 2nd. Not likely though. We should keep qualifying for Europe. 1 or 2 cup runs and top 7th again if I am guessing before the tranfer carousel.

The Emery table shows us finishing 5th if that was over a full season. 

Playing in Europe will also hurt us a little. 

Chelsea with Poch are going to be much stronger. 

Newcastle will be much stronger after this summer. 

On the other hand, Emery will also strengthen our team. 

Realistically 6th is probably a decent position, but there is a sliver of a chance for 4th if all the planets align.

• Like 1

I'd like to wait until a week before the season starts, so we can properly assess the players brought in and to have a look at what business other teams have done.  

I think it's likely that Citeh will continue to dominate - Utd seem to have gotten their act together a bit and will be in the top four, Arsenal are young and developing and depending on how they deal with having lost this title race will be up there again - if they struggle to deal with it, then I think it'll be two from Newcastle, Liverpool and Arsenal to finish off the top four.

That leaves us in a battle for 6th and 7th with Chelsea, Spurs, Brighton and any wild card who has a good year - Chelsea are the wild card, Brighton surely can't just keep pulling magicians out of their arse so hopefully after selling a couple they might drop back a bit, Spurs are on the downhill  - but much depends on how we (and Brighton) deal with European football.

I'm going to go with Chelsea throwing enough money at it to make 6th and us finishing 7th again. 

• Like 1

I think a lot will depend on our summer, the resurgence of Chelsea and Spurs, whether or not the Saudi club spend a fortune, whether Brighton can successfully hold players or reinvest. It’s all to play for between 2nd downward. Realistically given our competitive financial clout I think 6/7 would be realistic. Chelsea will throw gazillions at something like 5th, so will KSA, Arsenal will still be up there, Man Utd will grow under Ten Hag and Liverpool will bounce back. I have doubts about Spurs and Brighton though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

How Chelsea manage FFP could be key to  our next couple of seasons = their fire sale this summer might be extraordinary.

Plus, when does this investigation into Abu Dhabi FC’s financial liberty taking conclude? The authorities could get quite creative over ways to punish them (i.e. enforce player sales to rebalance the FFP overspend) without busting them down the leagues. That would level the playing field a little more.  

I think next season will be tougher than this one. Man City will likely walk it again. I see Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd and Newcastle all improving. Arsenal being decent again, especially if they can keep Saliba fit.

Even 6th would be a good achievement, and will depend on who we can sign this summer, and whether we keep all our current best players.

we will need to maintain consistency and take maximum points vs the sides we should be beating on paper. that means being mentally tough, protecting leads, responding after conceding, being disciplined. we will also need to take points from our direct rivals. it will be fascinating.

• Like 2

2nd.

Unless Man City get a points deduction they will walk the league again.

Other than that, we've seen Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, and Spurs have off seasons recently (Arguably as recently as the season just gone). Arsenal had their first good season in a long time. Newcastle are new to the top, and their team doesn't currently have the depth it needs to cope with CL.

They could all be on fire or could all have issues next season (just like we could).  As such, any of them could be beaten.

Obviously,  we start the season aiming for first, but the cheats have depths that will overcome anyone that threatens their perch so it's a pointless ask. 

I'll be happy if we finish top 6. Would take anywhere in the top 15 if we won a cup. 

3 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

On a serious realistic note instead of league position I think we should aim for 20 wins. I believe that we’re capable of doing that. The only manager who has Emery’s number is Billion Dollar EnhancePeptides. 

Sadly, Lopetegui has a good record against him too, so I expect Wolves will continue to frustrate us next season.

• Thanks 1

I think one way of looking at this is if you were offered 7th place right now, no guarantees on winning any of the cups, would you take it? 

While I would be happy with 7th, I fall more on the side of thinking that we could finish higher so I’d probably decline it and take the risk.

And I think Unai would decline it too.

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think one way of looking at this is if you were offered 7th place right now, no guarantees on winning any of the cups, would you take it? 

While I would be happy with 7th, I fall more on the side of thinking that we could finish higher so I’d probably decline it and take the risk.

And I think Unai would decline it too.

I wouldn’t take 7th now, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we finished 7th or lower next season.   

So I’d gamble for a chance at 5-6th with a higher chance of 7-8th.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

The Emery table shows us finishing 5th if that was over a full season. 

Playing in Europe will also hurt us a little. 

Chelsea with Poch are going to be much stronger. 

Newcastle will be much stronger after this summer. 

On the other hand, Emery will also strengthen our team. 

Realistically 6th is probably a decent position, but there is a sliver of a chance for 4th if all the planets align.

I agree, but they need to make up 17 points on us, so I think they will need to be very much stronger. Poch unlike UE isn't a miracle worker either. ;)

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Plus, when does this investigation into Abu Dhabi FC’s financial liberty taking conclude? The authorities could get quite creative over ways to punish them (i.e. enforce player sales to rebalance the FFP overspend) without busting them down the leagues. That would level the playing field a little more.  

I wouldn't hold your breath. These things seem to take years, rather than months and then there is the customary appeal. :rolleyes: