How high can we finish next season

Vive_La_Villa

25 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

Sadly, Lopetegui has a good record against him too, so I expect Wolves will continue to frustrate us next season.

He might not be there though. 

I don't understand accepting a bottom half finish if we win a cup. Yes, it'd be a back door into Europe, but it'd be a disturbing failure to build on our momentum in the league.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

2nd.

Unless Man City get a points deduction they will walk the league again.

Other than that, we've seen Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, and Spurs have off seasons recently (Arguably as recently as the season just gone). Arsenal had their first good season in a long time. Newcastle are new to the top, and their team doesn't currently have the depth it needs to cope with CL.

They could all be on fire or could all have issues next season (just like we could).  As such, any of them could be beaten.

Obviously,  we start the season aiming for first, but the cheats have depths that will overcome anyone that threatens their perch so it's a pointless ask. 

I'll be happy if we finish top 6. Would take anywhere in the top 15 if we won a cup. 

Arsenal finished 2nd this season on 84 points.

I fail to see how 80 + points is anything like realistic for us. Even the miracle season Leicester won the title with 79 points.

Basically means we need 15 home wins as a minimum and 10 on the road plus a fair few draws.

Much more realistic is getting to 60 points again and seeing how many games are left at that point as you're going to be in the mix for top 6 with that haul.

10 hours ago, Hiney said:

Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs will undoubtedly be better, and I feel Man Utd will continue to progress under Ten Haag.

How so? I have big doubts about each of those teams progressing.

I could see Spur and possibly Chelsea regressing. Both clubs seem to have a dysfunctional culture

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I could see Spur and possibly Chelsea regressing. Both clubs seem to have a dysfunctional culture

Yep, and Liverpool have to rebuild the midfield and will have a high player turnover that could go wrong/not immediatly work.

• Like 2

If we can go quite far into the European conference, then I believe it will have a significant and detrimental effect on our league form as we've seen many times before, for example West Ham this year. We will need both quality and quantity this summer in order to trouble the Sky six and to still be in Europe come March. Here's hoping though.

If Chelsea and Spurs are stronger then that means they’ll be taking points off the teams above us as well as us. We can’t all beat each other.

We are more than capable of beating everyone in the league at least once except maybe man cheaty. 

Very early to predict, but summer in’s and out’s will be so important. European games could influence our final position greatly as well, travelling and playing Thursday/Sunday. The further we progress, then utilising the whole squad will be key.

This maybe a little negative but I would have several points targets by certain dates (ie 40 points by early January, 50 points by mid February and possibly 60 points by end of March etc). Anything over 60 points going into the final run in of games is a bonus and makes it really interesting.

7th or 8th for me. 

51 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Arsenal finished 2nd this season on 84 points.

I fail to see how 80 + points is anything like realistic for us. Even the miracle season Leicester won the title with 79 points.

Basically means we need 15 home wins as a minimum and 10 on the road plus a fair few draws.

Much more realistic is getting to 60 points again and seeing how many games are left at that point as you're going to be in the mix for top 6 with that haul.

I agree. Realistically.

But it is possible that we get 80 points, hence we could possibly finish 2nd... no matter how unlikely. It's not possible that we beat Man Cheaty.

43 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I think Man City, Arsenal and Saudicastle are best positioned at the present time to jockey for tops spots. Man Utd are erratic and they still haven't shaken their post-Ferguson malaise. Liverpool are being defunded from previous levels and Klopp looks out of ideas at times. Chelsea and Spurs like you say have serious self-inflicted wounds. Brighton may struggle with key players leaving. west ham could be a wild card if they get a better manager. i think we get in the ring and throw punches in pursuit of 4th place. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

This side simply dosen't score enough goals to get 70 or above points imo.

Newcastle had joint best defence in the league but they also scored 3 or more goals in 11 prem games last season.

Look at their range of scorers aswell. Almiron hit 11 although most of those were before World cup. Calum Wilson scored 18 prem goals in the end which really surprised me as he's always getting dismissed on this forum and Isak had his injury issues but still hit 10 in 22 prem games.

It kind of puts into perspective Buendia and Bailey not even getting to 10 goals combined despite starting about 60 games between them last season.

Hopefully Ollie can get in the 15-20 goal range again but we badly need another attacker who can hit double figures comfortably if we're serious about breaking top 6 let alone finishing higher.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Awol said:

Plus, when does this investigation into Abu Dhabi FC’s financial liberty taking conclude? The authorities could get quite creative over ways to punish them (i.e. enforce player sales to rebalance the FFP overspend) without busting them down the leagues. That would level the playing field a little more.  

Conclude? 

It's not even properly started. 

It will never conclude - the army of lawyers working for that oil soaked scum ridden filth of an ownership will bury them in legal paperwork and loopholes until they can play the elapsed time card and City can spuriously claim they are innocent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

I don't understand accepting a bottom half finish if we win a cup. Yes, it'd be a back door into Europe, but it'd be a disturbing failure to build on our momentum in the league.

It’s not just a “back door”, it’s that the point of competitive football is to win trophies and we haven’t won a real one for 27 years. I’d much rather that any 25 year old today, who has never seen either, got to see Villa win a trophy than see us finish 5th.

25 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Conclude? 

It's not even properly started. 

It will never conclude - the army of lawyers working for that oil soaked scum ridden filth of an ownership will bury them in legal paperwork and loopholes until they can play the elapsed time card and City can spuriously claim they are innocent.

That's what they were saying here in Italy about Juventus.  In the end a deal was struck. 

However, docking Man City 10 points next season is unlikely to achieve anything concrete and Man City would probably accept the penalty in order to prevent further delays / investigations.  The chances of a penalty being imposed that actually fits the crime and serves as a deterrent to other "nation backed clubs" is miniscule.  Indeed miniscule is far too "big" a word - the chances are much smaller than miniscule.

Unai's PPG is 1.96 (after 25 games)

Over 38 games that comes to 74.48 - so 74 points over a season. (which would have seen us 4th this year.)

If it drops to 1.75 PPG (fatigue due to European games, drop in form, whatever reason) that's 66.5 or 67 points over the season. (This year would have seen us joint 5th with Plop.)

Since 2001 theres been only 3 times that you needed more that 74 points to qualify for CL.

During that time there are 3 seasons when 67 points would have secured 4th place and CL football.

I think it would need a huge drop in Unai's standards for us to even drop to 1.75 PPG let alone below that. He will be looking to improve upon that figure and so will NSWE.

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 3