How high can we finish next season

Vive_La_Villa

Top six would be fantastic, it’s continuous league progression. We all want cup runs too so it will be a challenge, but part of me just wonders whether we can continue our form from last season. I don’t think the wider observers think we’ll be as good, but If we can then we could be looking at a CL spot. 

I genuinely think that second is achievable. City will probably finish top again, unless something unforeseen happens. After that, the gaps between the squads starts to get much closer. Fortune and injuries will play a big part in where those teams finish but the other key factor is the quality of the coaching team. Ours is the second best in my view, behind City. That could be the difference that gets us higher than anyone expects. In Unai we trust.

• Like 1

Returning to 1995-96 again we had a slim chance of the treble as late as about March.

Won the league cup and were in the semi final of the FA Cup. Finished 4th despite our league form really faltering towards the end.

What I'm trying to say is a cup run does not necessarily mean the league gets sacrificed, especially when you have a proper squad.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Have they even seen our squad! It’s better than Newcastle!

The gambling companies will have looked at last season's league position and then popped Chelsea and Spurs back to their 'rightful' positions - pushing us down from 7th to 9th. I doubt there's been much movement yet from actual money bet to change those odds, but in any case there's hardly any swell of opinion, outside of our fan base, that thinks we're about to bust into the top 4 or 5.

On the upside, I think the longer we remain under the radar, the better.

Sshhh people are starting to notice. I preferred being under the radar 😂 I agree with what he says, except for the moment Grealish scored against West Ham being the turning point. The turning point and build for this has been in motion since the day NSWE walked through the door. We couldn’t do what we’re doing this summer without the building blocks beforehand. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

5th place will get CL this coming season? Or is that from the season after?

Apparently 5th gets it this season.

Can't prove that though, just what I have read.

So possibly up to 8th for European places this season then?, 7th is guaranteed?

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

We won't know this until towards the end of the season. It will be based on how well the English sides do this year rather than last season unfortunately. 

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Wiki - Association team allocation

Association team allocation

• Associations 1–5 each have four teams.
  • The two associations who obtain the most coefficient points in the 2023-24 season will each have one extra spot into the group stage.

So there's the possibility of 5, definitely. But not guaranteed.

• Thanks 1