How high can we finish next season

Vive_La_Villa

17 hours ago, sidcow said:

People keep citing West Ham as an example. 

If they lose the final just watch them being just as shit next season when they're not in Europe. 

Didn't West Ham finish 7th when they got the semi-finals of the Europa league aswell?

I agree with this, I think there's more to it as to why West Ham have had a poor season. Poor recruitment (spent how much last summer?) and I just think teams have worked out how to play against them. If it wasn't for Rice being sold for good money I would have thought they wouldn't exactly be blessed with loads of money to spend this summer and think they struggle next season (if Moyes stays). 

Europe of course adds more games and requires Emery to have to rotate his players more often but if Villa go from 7th - 15th next season for example it won't be because of Europe. 

• Like 2

With:

• The 6th richest owners in the league. 
  • The work we're putting in to increase our revenue, most notably the expansion of Villa Park. 
  • The developments we've made to our youth setup.

And

• The best manager in the league

We've surely got to be expecting top 6 football for the foreseeable future. 

If we keep on this track, and stick behind Emery through every eventuality, we're odds on to break the top 6 cartel. Arguably, it's already happened, but I see us being in a position to punch above our (still significantly) weight with Emery, and a top 4 finish is there to be had. 

7 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

Our squad is at similar levels to Newcastle and Leicester this season. If they can finish in top 4 and 18th, so can we.

Our expected position is probably around 8th, but if we have very good or very bad season, it can swing massively, up or down respectively. I said 2nd to 20th as I don't think anyone can touch city 😊

How could our squad be a similar level to 4th and 18th placed teams? The gulf between those two teams is massive.

We are also very unlikely to finish top 4 and just as unlikely to finish bottom half unless we have a disastrously different season to the season just ended.

That's why 2nd to 20th is unrealistic whereas 5th to 10th, as I suggested, is realistic.

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

How could our squad be a similar level to 4th and 18th placed teams? The gulf between those two teams is massive.

We are also very unlikely to finish top 4 and just as unlikely to finish bottom half unless we have a disastrously different season to the season just ended.

That's why 2nd to 20th is unrealistic whereas 5th to 10th, as I suggested, is realistic.

The competitiveness of most  teams in Premier League has increased massively due to the influx of money. Even lesser clubs can now afford to sign very good players from any other European league. As Leicester showed You can have one bad season and get relegated. Look at us under Gerrard as well , the same squad as under Emery and we struggled as hell.

By any objective metric (wages and squad cost) Leicester had comparative squad to Newcastle this season. They just massively underperformed  while Newcastle over performed. The same can happen to us next season.

Obviously us finishing 8th is much more likely than 18th, but both outcomes are still realistic possibilities.

• Like 1

We can finish first. Like every other team. Closer to it than this year is the aim. Staying ahead Chelsea and Spurs should be the aim. Good chance that gets you into top five this time around. 

With improvements and Unai's touch, sky is the limit. 

44 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

The competitiveness of most  teams in Premier League has increased massively due to the influx of money. Even lesser clubs can now afford to sign very good players from any other European league. As Leicester showed You can have one bad season and get relegated. Look at us under Gerrard as well , the same squad as under Emery and we struggled as hell.

By any objective metric (wages and squad cost) Leicester had comparative squad to Newcastle this season. They just massively underperformed  while Newcastle over performed. The same can happen to us next season.

Obviously us finishing 8th is much more likely than 18th, but both outcomes are still realistic possibilities.

I can agree with this.

Leicester(18th) came to Villa Park and made us look very ordinary.

Newcastle(4th) came to Villa Park and we made them look very ordinary.

The premier league is a very competitive difficult competition.Long gone are the days when the bottom three were there because they were crap!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

That’s his point - not much difference between those squads in terms of quality, but a really good season vs a really bad season can see a team challenging for CL or getting relegated. 

Given the statement made on behalf of the two owners, I think we will be targeting the top 4 this coming season and I don't think that is an unrealistic target either.

We mean business and we have the perfect manager to deliver the owners ambitions.

16 hours ago, MrBlack said:

With:

• The work we're putting in to increase our revenue, most notably the expansion of Villa Park. 

And

If we keep on this track, and stick behind Emery through every eventuality, we're odds on to break the top 6 cartel. Arguably, it's already happened, but I see us being in a position to punch above our (still significantly) weight with Emery, and a top 4 finish is there to be had. 

Top 6 minimum, with hopefully a cup or two and the odd foray into top 4.

• Like 1

On 04/06/2023 at 16:07, maqroll said:

I don't understand accepting a bottom half finish if we win a cup. Yes, it'd be a back door into Europe, but it'd be a disturbing failure to build on our momentum in the league.

I've never understood the love for winning a cup, the FA Cup and League Cup are meaningless to me. It's a good day out but it doesn't represent much, I want consistency and progress and that comes from league performance/placement. Most clubs now don't even put out full strength teams until the later rounds.

Chelsea will come back stronger next season with Poch in charge and I expect they finish above us. Newcastle should drop off a bit with the additional fixtures but so might us and Brighton, recruitment is key. We are somewhat fortunate in that we can play a lot of our reserves/youth in the Conference League and get away with it. Newcastle won't have that luxury in the Champions League.

City, Arsenal, Utd, Pool, Chelsea are likely to finish above us. Newcastle, Brighton could be close. I think 5th next season will get CL football as well, two extra places are awarded for the top 2 league in Europe due to the changes made to the competition for the 24/25 season.

18 hours ago, MrBlack said:

With:

And

This not what other football fans think is going to happen.

I’ve just struck a bet with a lad at work the Emery will not be sacked next year!

He thinks he will because Villa can’t possibly give Emery the backing to reach 7th again….and even if they do every one knows that Emery is shit in his second season!

• Shocked 1

25 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

I've never understood the love for winning a cup, the FA Cup and League Cup are meaningless to me. It's a good day out but it doesn't represent much, I want consistency and progress and that comes from league performance/placement. Most clubs now don't even put out full strength teams until the later rounds.

Chelsea will come back stronger next season with Poch in charge and I expect they finish above us. Newcastle should drop off a bit with the additional fixtures but so might us and Brighton, recruitment is key. We are somewhat fortunate in that we can play a lot of our reserves/youth in the Conference League and get away with it. Newcastle won't have that luxury in the Champions League.

City, Arsenal, Utd, Pool, Chelsea are likely to finish above us. Newcastle, Brighton could be close. I think 5th next season will get CL football as well, two extra places are awarded for the top 2 league in Europe due to the changes made to the competition for the 24/25 season.

For a lot of us the FA Cup completes the set and we can die happy 

27 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

This not what other football fans think is going to happen.

I’ve just struck a bet with a lad at work the Emery will not be sacked next year!

He thinks he will because Villa can’t possibly give Emery the backing to reach 7th again….and even if they do every one knows that Emery is shit in his second season!

We are ignored by the media largely, so the average fan probably won't know how loaded and well run we are. I didn't know Wolves were owned by the 7th richest owner, for example, until I dug into it. 

But yes, it does make for an exciting time to make money off your ignorant friends :). Or at least get a return that you could use to lay the alternative with a real bookie and be quids in anyway.

Edited by MrBlack

43 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

We are ignored by the media largely, so the average fan probably won't know how loaded and well run we are. I didn't know Wolves were owned by the 7th richest owner, for example, until I dug into it. 

But yes, it does make for an exciting time to make money off your ignorant friends :). Or at least get a return that you could use to lay the alternative with a real bookie and be quids in anyway.

The wealth of the owners is almost meaningless. It's the willingness of the owners to invest that wealth that matters. As you pointed out, Wolves have loaded owners, yet they closed the taps.

Additionally, with FFP around, you also need the willingness and ability to circumvent the rules and inject your club with funds to push you to the next level (aka PSG, City and now Newcastle). Political clout of state owned clubs is perfect for this. Our owners don't want to or can't do it, thus we play by the rules putting as at a disadvantage against those clubs.

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Any odds on Emery getting sacked would guarrantee me a profite here .......... you are right!

2 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

Spurs have been consistently finishing in the top 6/top 4 for over a decade, but it means **** all as they've nothing to show for it.  Trophies will be remembered in 100 years; nobody is going to remember finishing in the top 4 a few times.

24 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Any odds on Emery getting sacked would guarrantee me a profite here .......... you are right!

I would add, I don't do this and don't do cash bets with mates anyway... but if its a work acquaintance so eager to shoot villa down I might take up that option... if it weren't so blatantly obvious that they'll be wrong anyway

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

We NEED to win the FA Cup. It’s been too long. Yes finishing as high up in the league is important but our club needs trophies. Top 8 and a cup double (FA Cup and Conference League) will be fantastic. 

• Like 1