How high can we finish next season

Vive_La_Villa

A tad early for this isn't it? :lol:

Top half and another attempt at qualifying for Europe would be good. More games next season (as long as we get through our playoff game) and I just think there will be a small drop off from us in general. I fully expect Spurs and Chelsea will be in the mix next season again as well, which is why I was so desperate we took advantage of it this time. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Might be wrong, but it’s really coming across like some people are answering how high can Villa finish and others are answering how high Villa will finish.

Can: 3rd

Will: 5-6th

37 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

It’s not just a “back door”, it’s that the point of competitive football is to win trophies and we haven’t won a real one for 27 years. I’d much rather that any 25 year old today, who has never seen either, got to see Villa win a trophy than see us finish 5th.

I guess... I mean, I've been a Villa fan since 1994. It's been mostly barren. I tell you what, I'm definitely sure I wouldn't trade finishing bottom half for a League Cup trophy. But when you think about it, how would you feel a year from now this past week, having watched Villa complete a deeply disappointing campaign of regression in Emery's first full season, and hoping that an FA Cup win would more than make up for it. And how would you feel about our final bottom half league position if we lost the FA Cup final?

3 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

It’s not just a “back door”, it’s that the point of competitive football is to win trophies and we haven’t won a real one for 27 years. I’d much rather that any 25 year old today, who has never seen either, got to see Villa win a trophy than see us finish 5th.

The League is the real measurement of the quality of the club. A lucky cup win together with a terrible run in the league means we are closer to relegation than a CL place. That will impact earnings, the ability to attract good players and keep existing players/manager. 

A trophy is nice, but the league is way more important. If we get to a stage where we regularly compete for top 4, we would have enough quality to be able to win a cup at some stage.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

A trophy is nice, but the league is way more important. If we get to a stage where we regularly compete for top 4, we would have enough quality to be able to win a cup at some stage.

Tell that to Spurs...

19 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Unai's PPG is 1.96 (after 25 games)

I think it would need a huge drop in Unai's standards for us to even drop to 1.75 PPG let alone below that. He will be looking to improve upon that figure and so will NSWE.

Good post, but I think you’re underestimating how much variance there is over the course of a season.

We had a remarkable, belter of a season with Don Unai. But teams will start to figure us out, starting on Day 1.

We were lucky enough with injuries. How many points did Ollie win us in that purple patch? How many wins would have been draws had he been a bit off the pace or, worse, injured?

And then we’ll have the Thursday games. That will cost us 5 points anyway.

All in all, I’d be very happy if we had some decent cup runs and a 1.75 PPG in the league. I think talk of coming 5th etc is very premature.

Our potential depends a lot on what some of the sky 6 and top 10 end up doing. 

e.g.

Will Chelsea be back to their best because of Pochettino, or a complete basket case again because of Boehly and a huge unmanageable squad of overpriced under performers? 

Will Spurs get in a top manager and challenge again, or will they sell Kane and end up struggling without him?

Will Liverpool be able to rebuild their midfield sufficiently to have a more consistent season?

Will Arsenal suffer a hangover from missing out on winning the league?

Outside of the sky 6 will the likes of Brighton, Brentford and Fulham be able to retain their best players, or adequately replace them?

A lot of variables but if we recruit well I see top 6 as a legitimate and achievable target. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Might be wrong, but it’s really coming across like some people are answering how high can Villa finish and others are answering how high Villa will finish.

Indeed. The topic clearly says can. 

Mathematically, it's first.

Taking the certainties into consideration, I'd say its second (Man City will certainly dominate with the squad they have).

Anything beyond that depends on the course of the season and what other teams do over the summer. So I stand by my previous statement of 2nd.

But I'm not going to be upset if we don't finish in the top 4.

• Like 1

If we get to the knockout stages in Europe then I think 8/7 is quite good.

Man City, Arsenal and United are too far ahead of us.

Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool will be better.

Newcastle might struggle with the CL so we could leapfrog them.

West Ham are not a bad team, with some really good players and look at where they finished after playing thurs / sun

Edited by pas5898

We had top 4 form when Uni took over, can we finish top 4? 

As other posters have said it depends on the likes of the teams that were around us, will Brighton continue to pick up gems? Chelsea are just throwing money like its going out of fashion, they have a good manager but can he gel that team? Same goes for Spurzz, there are a lot of ego's, Kane will probably leave and i think that will be them out the top 6 race, if he can be convinced to stay and the can keep the Ego's happy then who knows? i expect Liverpool to have a better season.

Personally top 4 is out of our grasp (for now), we need quality but we are going to be in competition with teams that can offer more wages, champions league football etc, "it's only the conference league" to quote one of our own, so cant see someone turn down Champions league or Europa if they are in the mix with us for the same player.

So yeah, its going to be a frustrating summer. I would be happy with 6th next season.

On 04/06/2023 at 16:56, Lomaski said:

If we can go quite far into the European conference, then I believe it will have a significant and detrimental effect on our league form as we've seen many times before, for example West Ham this year. We will need both quality and quantity this summer in order to trouble the Sky six and to still be in Europe come March. Here's hoping though.

People keep citing West Ham as an example. 

If they lose the final just watch them being just as shit next season when they're not in Europe. 

• Like 1

On 05/06/2023 at 13:59, El Segundo said:

Outside of the sky 6 will the likes of Brighton, Brentford and Fulham be able to retain their best players, or adequately replace them?

I was just thinking earlier today how refreshing it is that our players aren't constantly being linked with moves away. 

In any other season before now our form and 7th place finish would have big clubs being linked with all our players. 

Even. Martinez isn't really being touted by anyone serious. 

I've seen links for new Spurs and Man Ure keepers but none mentioning Martinez. 

As such I feel we will be one of those teams who are at very least as good as last year and almost certainly stronger unless all our recruits are failures. 

43 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Would that not be unrealistic. I think realistic would be 5th to 10th.

Our squad is at similar levels to Newcastle and Leicester this season. If they can finish in top 4 and 18th, so can we.

Our expected position is probably around 8th, but if we have very good or very bad season, it can swing massively, up or down respectively. I said 2nd to 20th as I don't think anyone can touch city 😊

Edited by Czarnikjak