Harvey Barnes

Delphinho123

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think he's a very good player but we don't need a right footed left winger. We need a left footed right winger/forward

So it's more he's not the position we need to recruit.

Barnes also lacks the tactical and technical discipline Unai wants in a winger. He just isn’t what we need. It’s not about goals or assists. 

Barnes is a good player and would fit in here, but we only have paper links on all this transfer speculation. I am sure Barnes is on our long list as well as 3 oro four other PL teams, but I also think we have other targets ahead of him due to his PL English Tax premium and Emery casting his net into Spain which he and his team know well.

45 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Am I the only one feeling underwhelmed in the prospect of singning Barnes?

He just doesn't do it for me whenever I watch him play.

No, I'm the same because his style doesn't suit the way we play our overall game. It's also why I don't think we'll be after him - his skillset is just counter attacking football, as the Leicester fan who came on here detailed. We need a player who can do more than just that. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Barnes is a good player and would fit in here, but we only have paper links on all this transfer speculation. I am sure Barnes is on our long list as well as 3 oro four other PL teams, but I also think we have other targets ahead of him due to his PL English Tax premium and Emery casting his net into Spain which he and his team know well.

I feel the same but I think 1. That tax is partially justified as they are proven in the PL and it is different: and 2. That tax is always partly reduced by a relegation.

• Like 1

Its been said correctly that we can't be competing with likes of Madrid, City, PSG for players but if we are truthfully looking to be bold this year and going for it we need to be muscling out the likes of West Ham for primary targets. Whether Barnes is one who knows. 

I can see he'd be a literal perfect fit for them, Bowen on one wing and Barnes on the other running in behind fits their system ideally. Difficult to see how he fits our system at all but he's a player I like and would give us different options. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

West ham are in the europa league. I'm not convinced we can easily beat them for players. 

I hope we didn't want Barnes and its not that we've lost out to West Ham.

I'd be surprised if we were interested, not the right type of player for us. He'll suit West Ham or Everton better with how he plays

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I think he's a very good player but we don't need a right footed left winger. We need a left footed right winger/forward

So it's more he's not the position we need to recruit.

We don't have a single right footed left winger, and have two left footed right wingers?

Am I missing something? And no Buendia and Ramsey are not right footed left wingers.

13 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

We don't have a single right footed left winger, and have two left footed right wingers?

Am I missing something? And no Buendia and Ramsey are not right footed left wingers.

Ramsey seems to do alright out there?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

But we don't play with anyone in the position of a right footed left winger. Emery's model has the left winger less attacking than the right winger, and the left back providing the width and crossing. No point getting a player in for a position we don't use. 

Unless he wants the option to switch it up very fundamentally, it makes no sense to sign him. 

16 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

But we don't play with anyone in the position of a right footed left winger. Emery's model has the left winger less attacking than the right winger, and the left back providing the width and crossing. No point getting a player in for a position we don't use. 

Unless he wants the option to switch it up very fundamentally, it makes no sense to sign him. 

But could not playing with a left winger simply be down to the fact we don’t have any? 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

But could not playing with a left winger simply be down to the fact we don’t have any? 

Could be... although what he's doing here aligns with what he's done previously with the left wing so my guess is not. 

If he was looking for an option to be able to change that shape... i'd hope it was some one better (or at least better value) than Barnes. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

West ham are in the europa league. I'm not convinced we can easily beat them for players. 

I hope we didn't want Barnes and its not that we've lost out to West Ham.

I don’t think player coming will decide which team to go because one of the teams are in Europa and the other is in Conference. Could be different with the CL but again money is the main factor then comes the potential, project and management. Being in Europe makes our profile better, shown a step that we’re in the right direction and our project isn’t just talks. But again it won’t be a sole thing to make players decide coming to us rather than Spurs or whoever. A lot of thing to consider.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

exactly.

Emery plays with our LM as more of an inside midfielder when we go forward, and the left back acts like the winger.

On the right side, that RM acts like a winger, or inside right forward.

Just now, MaVilla said:

exactly.

Emery plays with our LM as more of an inside midfielder when we go forward, and the left back acts like the winger.

On the right side, that RM acts like a winger, or inside right forward.

We’ll need to add a second strategy/formation for next year though. Otherwise teams will catch on and we will be too predictable.

1 minute ago, Enda said:

We’ll need to add a second strategy/formation for next year though. Otherwise teams will catch on and we will be too predictable.

Yep, need options for alternative formations and strategies.  If Emery had joined the club and we had nothing but wingers, we'd be playing a totally different way.  He makes use of what we have, rather than trying to fit players to systems they are not suited too. I'm sure i've read from him that he want's players that offer something he doesn't already have, I think he was referring to a striker, but no reason why it wouldn't apply to other roles.

3 hours ago, wishywashy said:

He'll do great there.

I don't take it from that, this is a done deal just yet. We've led the race for players in the past and didn't get them. Drivers have started a race in pole position and lost. This looks like Matt Law putting 2 + 2 together and hoping to get 4. I don't see that they've made a bid, had one accepted or had talks, perhaps he's testing the water for them, before they slap in a bid (after they sell Rice). I accept that they have European football and so do we, they have the pull of being in London, but the player might just prefer to stay in the Midlands. They will have money when they sell, but we have money now. If we do want him, I think that we would have a decent chance of making this happen, after all we have UE and they have Gollum. ;)

52 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Could be... although what he's doing here aligns with what he's done previously with the left wing so my guess is not. 

If he was looking for an option to be able to change that shape... i'd hope it was some one better (or at least better value) than Barnes. 

Fair point, I don’t watch enough European football to know exactly what’s he’s done at other clubs so if if this is a common set up then I’d agree Barnes doesn’t make sense. 

But I seem to remember reading a post on here (can’t remember where, it might have been the tactics thread) where he said (or someone else commented) that his favourite formations where 4-3-3 and 4-2-2-2, so I presumed (maybe wrongly) that what he was doing here was simply a result of what he had. 

Â