Harvey Barnes

Delphinho123

3 minutes ago, GrumpyFox said:

Hello all, me again (I’ll try not to commit a major social faux pas this time).

So, Harvey Barnes….. firstly I’ll mention that I am a huge fan of his. Depending on which Leicester fans you speak to about Barnes you’ll get a couple of different takes on him, but you’ve got to consider his player profile before debating….

His key attributes are;

Pace, power, strong running, direct running and an eye for goal.

Barnes is your prime example of an inverted winger, his only position really is on the left, but he could play through the middle if needed I feel. Barnes in my opinion has been our best player this season, and that’s in a dreadful team. He is incredible at receiving the ball in stride and not having to alter his sprint speed, which makes him an absolute nightmare to defend against. He would often take the ball whilst running at full speed, knock it beyond the full back and get into a dangerous area, and because he runs at such pace you can’t touch him otherwise he hits the deck. 

He can go either on the outside or come inside, and he is a goal threat, as he has a great ability to open his body up (Henry like) and pass it into the back of the net. 

On his day, he can be unplayable. 

In terms of weaknesses don’t expect much in the air from him, and despite all of his attributes he needs a team that play with pace and momentum to consistently bring the best out of him. Due to Rodgers ball we saw it sporadically, and Barnes was reliant on his own explosive pace to get him up the pitch and into goal scoring areas because we were just far too slow and ponderous in possession,  and this did unfortunately diminish his performances with us. Defensively he will come back, however he usually hangs on the shoulder is the deepest player so if you win the ball back he can get going and drive you up the pitch. 

My only criticism of Barnes, is that occasionally he will drift inside and leave no option for the full back to pass into, despite there being a massive hole for him to exploit, but I think this is more down to the teams build up play being too slow, than it is Barnes not knowing what he is doing. 

So in short if you play with a high press, quick passing phases and like to utilise the counter, he will flourish. 

The only sticking point will be the price. It appears our club is run by idiots, so they’re likely to pretend we’re not in the championship and try and drive a hard bargain and not budge from £40m and try to push for more. 

It’s worth noting that Barnes has just found out he is a father so the chances are he will want to stay local, so if you are interested and move fairly quickly I can see a deal being struck, as we need to get business done quickly. 

He would be a real gem for you, he is still a bit unpolished but under a top class manager he will lift your team to another level. I generally hate my club at the moment apart from Vardy, Barnes and Albrighton….

Thanks for the overview, and helpful to get a fan's view (albeit with a positive bias).

We have switched to a slow build up under Emery, but it's with a view to drawing the opposition in and then launching a psuedo-counter attack after they've committed men forward trying to get the ball off us. In this context, I think he might still work in the way you've described. When we finally get the ball forward we do like to move it quickly.

I'm convinced Emery could make any player follow his instructions given what he's done with the players that Gerrard made look like relegation candidates. 

The big issue is that he is left sided... and we don't really play with a left winger. Maybe his coming in to the middle would align with our style of play, but as you've suggested he's not as effective when doing this.

He's a proper left winger and we simply don't play with one.  Although, it's entirely possible that is only because we don't actually have one,  so maybe Emery is looking to add it as an option.

For me, I don't think this link is legit and I'm definitely not sold on him at £40m.

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Thanks for the overview, and helpful to get a fan's view (albeit with a positive bias).

We have switched to a slow build up under Emery, but it's with a view to drawing the opposition in and then launching a psuedo-counter attack after they've committed men forward trying to get the ball off us. In this context, I think he might still work in the way you've described. When we finally get the ball forward we do like to move it quickly.

I'm convinced Emery could make any player follow his instructions given what he's done with the players that Gerrard made look like relegation candidates. 

The big issue is that he is left sided... and we don't really play with a left winger. Maybe his coming in to the middle would align with our style of play, but as you've suggested he's not as effective when doing this.

He's a proper left winger and we simply don't play with one.  Although, it's entirely possible that is only because we don't actually have one,  so maybe Emery is looking to add it as an option.

For me, I don't think this link is legit and I'm definitely not sold on him at £40m.

The left sided midfield role (where Ramsey has been playing) would suit a right footed player who cuts in.  And with Barnes having the pace and skill to drive forward it might suit him.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

The left sided midfield role (where Ramsey has been playing) would suit a right footed player who cuts in.  And with Barnes having the pace and skill to drive forward it might suit him.

Read the rest of what I said after the bit you bolded.

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

Ramsey is a better player than Barnes though, isn't he? He's also one of our own and already at the club... and 3 years younger.

They play in different positions. I don't get the hate. He's always looked pretty great to me. He'd be an option to play with Watkins I'd imagine.

• Like 2

@GrumpyFox thanks for taking the time to let us know your thoughts.

For me, it confirms that he's not really the right sort of player for us tbh and would be better suited to a team that plays to his strengths because we don't. Emery can work wonders but there's a lot for him to adapt to if he were to play for us. 

7 minutes ago, Rolta said:

They play in different positions. I don't get the hate. He's always looked pretty great to me. He'd be an option to play with Watkins I'd imagine.

I'd argue they really don't. Both play their best stuff almost exclusively off the left hand side?

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Well, not that different (lately), they both play attacking midfield or midfield left / centre... sort of.

The hate is completely childish and irrational. I hate his duck face, his shit chav hair and the fact he always scores against us. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GrumpyFox said:

Hello all, me again (I’ll try not to commit a major social faux pas this time).

So, Harvey Barnes….. firstly I’ll mention that I am a huge fan of his. Depending on which Leicester fans you speak to about Barnes you’ll get a couple of different takes on him, but you’ve got to consider his player profile before debating….

His key attributes are;

Pace, power, strong running, direct running and an eye for goal.

Barnes is your prime example of an inverted winger, his only position really is on the left, but he could play through the middle if needed I feel. Barnes in my opinion has been our best player this season, and that’s in a dreadful team. He is incredible at receiving the ball in stride and not having to alter his sprint speed, which makes him an absolute nightmare to defend against. He would often take the ball whilst running at full speed, knock it beyond the full back and get into a dangerous area, and because he runs at such pace you can’t touch him otherwise he hits the deck. 

He can go either on the outside or come inside, and he is a goal threat, as he has a great ability to open his body up (Henry like) and pass it into the back of the net. 

On his day, he can be unplayable. 

In terms of weaknesses don’t expect much in the air from him, and despite all of his attributes he needs a team that play with pace and momentum to consistently bring the best out of him. Due to Rodgers ball we saw it sporadically, and Barnes was reliant on his own explosive pace to get him up the pitch and into goal scoring areas because we were just far too slow and ponderous in possession,  and this did unfortunately diminish his performances with us. Defensively he will come back, however he usually hangs on the shoulder is the deepest player so if you win the ball back he can get going and drive you up the pitch. 

My only criticism of Barnes, is that occasionally he will drift inside and leave no option for the full back to pass into, despite there being a massive hole for him to exploit, but I think this is more down to the teams build up play being too slow, than it is Barnes not knowing what he is doing. 

So in short if you play with a high press, quick passing phases and like to utilise the counter, he will flourish. 

The only sticking point will be the price. It appears our club is run by idiots, so they’re likely to pretend we’re not in the championship and try and drive a hard bargain and not budge from £40m and try to push for more. 

It’s worth noting that Barnes has just found out he is a father so the chances are he will want to stay local, so if you are interested and move fairly quickly I can see a deal being struck, as we need to get business done quickly. 

He would be a real gem for you, he is still a bit unpolished but under a top class manager he will lift your team to another level. I generally hate my club at the moment apart from Vardy, Barnes and Albrighton….

Cheers Leicester fan

30 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Well, not that different (lately), they both play attacking midfield or midfield left / centre... sort of.

The hate is completely childish and irrational. I hate his duck face, his shit chav hair and the fact he always scores against us. 

Fair enough!

As for the positions, Emery obviously has a bit of a different system to most people that involves a Buendia/Bailey/McGinn/Ramsey playing with Watkins. Barnes would surely be put there—and it's the most obvious position that we could do with improving. We could do with more than one if we were really serious.

37 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Fair enough!

As for the positions, Emery obviously has a bit of a different system to most people that involves a Buendia/Bailey/McGinn/Ramsey playing with Watkins. Barnes would surely be put there—and it's the most obvious position that we could do with improving. We could do with more than one if we were really serious.

Eh, look, if Don Unai wants him I'm down like a clown, Charlie Brown.

43 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Fair enough!

Not sure he has the footballing intelligence to play the role next to Watkins

10 minutes ago, picicata said:

Not sure he has the footballing intelligence to play the role next to Watkins

What makes you say that though? He seems pretty on it every time I see him play.

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

What makes you say that though? He seems pretty on it every time I see him play.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's actually a pretty dangerous player when playing off the left in a counter attacking team but I'm not sure we're that team anymore. He would've been excellent in Smith's team

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts @GrumpyFox! Must say I have a soft spot for Leicester, it's a nice club and followed them a bit as your former player Pontus Kåmark is from my home town.

Regarding Harvey Barnes I posted on here some moths ago that he was one of the players I wanted us to sign this summer, if possible. However, playing the devils advocate there are some things that has made me hesitate a bit lately. First of all, would you say that he is a topp class passer suited to a possession based playing style? Under Emery we play with lots of possessions that requires players who are really good and careful passers. We already have one direct runner in Bailey, he is supposed to be a winger, but as he is quite much heads down and makes his own runs where he loses the ball more than 50% of the time, he is often played in a more advanced position in the front two. I'm a bit worried that Barnes is the same type of player that doesn't contribute to the possession as much, but rather lurks around the full back and, plays a one-two and runs at goal (and does that really well). So what would you say, can he adapt to a possession style of play? Didn't Rodgers play with much possession as well?

The second thing is that I don't know how much effort he puts in defensively. In Moreno we have a very much forward going full back, so he will need to track back and cover for him at times. Will he do that? And lastly, how is his character? Is he a nice person, good team mate?

Thanks!

Just now, Keener window-cleaner said:

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts @GrumpyFox! Must say I have a soft spot for Leicester, it's a nice club and followed them a bit as your former player Pontus Kåmark is from my home town.

Regarding Harvey Barnes I posted on here some moths ago that he was one of the players I wanted us to sign this summer, if possible. However, playing the devils advocate there are some things that has made me hesitate a bit lately. First of all, would you say that he is a topp class passer suited to a possession based playing style? Under Emery we play with lots of possessions that requires players who are really good and careful passers. We already have one direct runner in Bailey, he is supposed to be a winger, but as he is quite much heads down and makes his own runs where he loses the ball more than 50% of the time, he is often played in a more advanced position in the front two. I'm a bit worried that Barnes is the same type of player that doesn't contribute to the possession as much, but rather lurks around the full back and, plays a one-two and runs at goal (and does that really well). So what would you say, can he adapt to a possession style of play? Didn't Rodgers play with much possession as well?

The second thing is that I don't know how much effort he puts in defensively. In Moreno we have a very much forward going full back, so he will need to track back and cover for him at times. Will he do that? And lastly, how is his character? Is he a nice person, good team mate?

Thanks!

Bugger all off the ballScreenshot_20230529_231702_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a63e24661669ab1e9efc8096ee794f2a.jpg

Â