Harvey Barnes

Delphinho123

34 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Thanks but I don't read too much into statistics (yes Wes Edens, Lange & co won't like me)

Stats aside this from Foxestalk on The players I dislike thread: 

Barnes is number 1 for me

i just can’t take to players who don’t fully commit and maximise their potential

he disappears for the majority of most games and his lack of commitment  when pressing is ridiculous 

I know he is far from our biggest issue but he really pees me off 

Also ambles about like he’s cantona at times 

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Stats aside this from Foxestalk on The players I dislike thread: 

Barnes is number 1 for me

i just can’t take to players who don’t fully commit and maximise their potential

he disappears for the majority of most games and his lack of commitment  when pressing is ridiculous 

I know he is far from our biggest issue but he really pees me off 

Also ambles about like he’s cantona at times 

Are you really using that as evidence?

I could cut and paste over a hundred of similar comments of Luiz, McGinn, Mings etc from this site, doesn’t make them true.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts @GrumpyFox! Must say I have a soft spot for Leicester, it's a nice club and followed them a bit as your former player Pontus Kåmark is from my home town.

Regarding Harvey Barnes I posted on here some moths ago that he was one of the players I wanted us to sign this summer, if possible. However, playing the devils advocate there are some things that has made me hesitate a bit lately. First of all, would you say that he is a topp class passer suited to a possession based playing style? Under Emery we play with lots of possessions that requires players who are really good and careful passers. We already have one direct runner in Bailey, he is supposed to be a winger, but as he is quite much heads down and makes his own runs where he loses the ball more than 50% of the time, he is often played in a more advanced position in the front two. I'm a bit worried that Barnes is the same type of player that doesn't contribute to the possession as much, but rather lurks around the full back and, plays a one-two and runs at goal (and does that really well). So what would you say, can he adapt to a possession style of play? Didn't Rodgers play with much possession as well?

The second thing is that I don't know how much effort he puts in defensively. In Moreno we have a very much forward going full back, so he will need to track back and cover for him at times. Will he do that? And lastly, how is his character? Is he a nice person, good team mate?

Thanks!

In short defensive effort would equal to, he is on the pitch….. he will try, but he has largely been lucky because he’s had the likes of Fuchs, Justin, Chilwell or Thomas (who is shit but somehow has a good relationship with Barnes) playing behind him.

Also, when N’didi remembered what a football was, he would usually cover that side of the field so it lifted the pressure off Barnes to have to defend. 

Having read a few comments on here, it’s 50/50 as to whether Barnes would work. I do think he is awesome, but that’s being a Leicester fan. It’s a case of striking the right balance with him, or could he actually add a different dimension to your game? You have Bailey, but I do think Barnes is still different though the pair have a similar player profile. 

For the money we will want, my gut feeling is you would probably find a cheaper alternative overseas with a more all round game. £40+m is a lot of money to spend on a player that might not actually improve you? 

13 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Are you really using that as evidence?

I could cut and paste over a hundred of similar comments of Luiz, McGinn, Mings etc from this site, doesn’t make them true.

I've seen more than just that comment on various platforms and it backs up the stats which some people don't believe in. All points to the opposite kind of player that can play to Emery's key area of improvement when asked at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

I've seen more than just that comment on various platforms and it backs up the stats which some people don't believe in. All points to the opposite kind of player that can play to Emery's key area of improvement when asked at the end of the season.

I just don’t think fans see what coaches do when it comes to playing style and ability. Stats only reflect the outcome, they don’t take into account other important factors that affect performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I just don’t think fans see what coaches do when it comes to playing style and ability. Stats only reflect the outcome, they don’t take into account other important factors that affect performance.

We know Emery is a voracious video watcher of games and players and his staff will undoubtedly weigh stats heavily so it won't be ignored if Barnes is bad off the ball regardless of lazy predictable transfer links 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

Bingo.

Barnes’ defensive statistics could easily be explained by managerial instruction.

I believe Watkins did something similar this season, easing up a bit on chasing every ball to conserve energy for when it counts. It worked out well for him.

Barnes would track back more if Don Unai told him to. The Lucas Critique, innit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

We know Emery is a voracious video watcher of games and players and his staff will undoubtedly weigh stats heavily so it won't be ignored if Barnes is bad off the ball regardless of lazy predictable transfer links 

Your right, im not a fan of him myself, just not going to use comments of Leicester supporters who are still crying over the spilt milk of relegation.

3 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

He'll do great there.

Agree. He's definitely a good fit for them compared with us. I definitely wouldn't be upset if they spend the 30-40m that it will take to get him instead of us. 

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

Am I the only one feeling underwhelmed in the prospect of singning Barnes?

He just doesn't do it for me whenever I watch him play.

I believe he’s a good option for a club aiming to be consistently mid table. But, he’s an expensive option. I’m absolutely positive there are players across the continent that can do what he does for half the price and on half the money.

Regardless, we’re aiming to break the top 6 consistently and we’ve got Ramsey who plays in a similar position and is better. 

Im of the opinion we’ll need better than Harvey Barnes to finish in the top 6 next season. 

Absolutely fine about ‘missing out’ here. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

No, He's bang average. If he was a really good player he wouldn't still be playing for a championship team.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I believe he’s a good option for a club aiming to be consistently mid table. But, he’s an expensive option. I’m absolutely positive there are players across the continent that can do what he does for half the price and on half the money.

Regardless, we’re aiming to break the top 6 consistently and we’ve got Ramsey who plays in a similar position and is better. 

Im of the opinion we’ll need better than Harvey Barnes to finish in the top 6 next season. 

Absolutely fine about ‘missing out’ here. 

I imagine he was on the considered list had we been stuck in 11th. After that wasn’t a consideration. The link was purely speculation to begin with. 

He has 45 goals from 187 appearances. That’s 1-in-4 consistently over five or six seasons. On top of his assists.

He’s an excellent footballer, not a bang average one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Enda said:

He has 45 goals from 187 appearances. That’s 1-in-4 consistently over five or six seasons. On top of his assists.

He’s an excellent footballer, not a bang average one.

If he was an excellent footballer he’d be going somewhere better than West Ham. Declan Rice is an excellent footballer. That’s why he’s leaving West Ham.

32 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I think he's a very good player but we don't need a right footed left winger. We need a left footed right winger/forward

So it's more he's not the position we need to recruit.

Â