Harvey Barnes

Delphinho123

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Would that be the bottom half?

Seriously though I think Newcastle would take him as they don't have a huge squad, he's better than Anthony Gordon and Jacob Murphy for example, but after that who's taking him? Are any of the sky 6 taking him?

Like I said I don't see it, replacing Buendia and Bailey is the key to the summer for me and I want proper CL quality and he's not it, neither is maddison, neither of them are that level

We're also not in the position where he comes in as a £20m squad player either

I couldn't agree any more.  That second attacker role is absolutely critical and I think that Emery has alluded to it more than once - we will be doing everything in our power to get a massive player in to play that position (not physically massive before I get any comments about him needing to be 8 ft 6).  It will be the most important role in our team next season.  Getting that player right will be the thing that proves or disproves our ambitions for next season and beyond.

If Barnes is our major signing for that position then I would be massively disappointed and worried.  Maybe it could be the signing of the season but I'd be scratching my head about all the official, semi-official, unofficial comments that we're aiming to be really ambitious this summer.

On Sunday's showing, how much more can we expect from Barnes than JJ in the team? It seems to me that Ramsey is a seriously dynamic, athletic midfielder who seems to offer as much offensively as Barnes and maybe Barnes arrival might stifle his progress? I think I would prefer some one a little different, or significantly better unless the price is too good to turn down?

Despite some sniffiness on here I do think Barnes is a decent enough player and he could find a place in this squad, but I would be much more excited if Ferran Torres arrived to play on the LHS, however I think we are going to struggle with securing his level of talent.

• Like 1

He's there to offer competition. He's not going to be a definitive starter, but he certainly improves the squad. We have no right-footed left winger unless you include Philogene (who is unproven). Ramsey's done brilliantly but he is naturally a central player. Don't really see the issue. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

No more than £3m for me. We got Ginola for that and he was twice the player.

Sure he was 33 and this was 20 odd years ago but 20m for a "championship" player...scandalous.

Surely this is a wind up 🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AshVilla said:

30m for Barnes or 14m for Lee Kang-In.

I would take both. One for now one for the future. 

Issue being Leicester will not accept 30m for him.  They'll want more. I don't think he's worth more (and for me only just worth the 30m),  but he is to them. He's their ticket straight back to the prem.

35 minutes ago, thunderball said:

On Sunday's showing, how much more can we expect from Barnes than JJ in the team? It seems to me that Ramsey is a seriously dynamic, athletic midfielder who seems to offer as much offensively as Barnes and maybe Barnes arrival might stifle his progress? I think I would prefer some one a little different, or significantly better unless the price is too good to turn down?

Despite some sniffiness on here I do think Barnes is a decent enough player and he could find a place in this squad, but I would be much more excited if Ferran Torres arrived to play on the LHS, however I think we are going to struggle with securing his level of talent.

They're different types of player entirely though. But in any case, we can almost certainly expect more goals from Barnes, he's an excellent goal scorer. I'd be excited to see how much Emery could improve the other aspects of his game.

• Like 1

Lesster in financial peril, Barnes won't likely cost more than £30m. Truth be told even if they stayed up I thought the reported fees of £50m were fanciful.

I don't know if it's been coached out of him by Rodgers, but he doesn't seem to take players on as much anymore. I remember at West Brom he was skinning people left and right, and even his first half/full season back at Leicester. Now he's more of a goal machine. Not saying we can't use that, God knows how many times we could have used Bailey et al cutting inside and scoring, but I think JJ has that left side sewn up and offers more to the team than Barnes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

No more than £3m for me. We got Ginola for that and he was twice the player.

Sure he was 33 and this was 20 odd years ago but 20m for a "championship" player...scandalous.

You been on the Pop today chap.

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

If you look at the four teams who qualified for the Champions League, they all have 4 quality wingers.

Man City have Grealish, Foden, Mahrez, Bernardo Silva.

Arsenal have Saka, Martinelli, Trossard, Nelson

Man Utd have Rashford, Sancho, Antony, Garnacho

Newcastle have Almiron, Isak, Murphy, Willock

Every single one of these players is better than Bailey and Traore. So I really don't think it's a problem if we add quality, even if Ramsey is looking good at the moment. If we want to be pushing for top 4, we need a squad where you can bring on two wingers in the second half who will cause defences problems.

Whether that's Barnes or not, I don't mind (I rate him, but I'm now blown away by him) ... but I think we need to sign 2 or 3 wingers in this window. It will be a big priority for Emery IMO.

Really like Barnes, think he'd do well for us.  Don't care how much he'd cost because it's not my money.  Don't care if we don't sign him if Emery doesn't want him.  Don't care if he doesn't want to sign if the club wants him.  

• Like 2

He could be an Emery player, he has the tools. But you'd be bringing him in knowing you need to make him change his game and betting that he can do so successfully.

Regardless of that I think he makes us stronger as things stand right now - he's a solid goal scorer who is strong with decent pace and good foundational skills - I reckon putting him in the side you get more goals than you would with Bailey or Buendia. But I also reckon you could get better with a higher ceiling looking elsewhere, but with the accepted gamble that they take to the Premier League etc etc.

• Like 4

All for the price. Anything under 30m for a proven winger that can improve under Unai is a no brainer for a squad that has half of a winger (Bailey does well at home). 

56 minutes ago, macandally said:

I think too many are looking at Barnes as he is now rather than what he could be.

Who knew how good Ramsey, McGinn etc were with the right coaching? They got pelters on here week in week out.

If Unai wants him, it’s because the raw materials are there (for me pace and finishing) the rest can be coached 

Exactly, it's not at all clear what Emery's vision for a new signing will be. There's a very high chance they won't play the same role they've played in their career to date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

If you look at the four teams who qualified for the Champions League, they all have 4 quality wingers.

Man City have Grealish, Foden, Mahrez, Bernardo Silva.

Arsenal have Saka, Martinelli, Trossard, Nelson

Man Utd have Rashford, Sancho, Antony, Garnacho

Newcastle have Almiron, Isak, Murphy, Willock

Every single one of these players is better than Bailey and Traore. So I really don't think it's a problem if we add quality, even if Ramsey is looking good at the moment. If we want to be pushing for top 4, we need a squad where you can bring on two wingers in the second half who will cause defences problems.

Whether that's Barnes or not, I don't mind (I rate him, but I'm now blown away by him) ... but I think we need to sign 2 or 3 wingers in this window. It will be a big priority for Emery IMO.

I’m with you all the way, I’m just saying unless the deal is favourable perhaps we aspire for better given bang-for-buck, especially when the midfield is likely going to be anchored by Kamara & Luiz if a two, or Kamara/Luiz/Guendouzi (or Ugarte😉) if a three - those up top need to be very compelling?

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

Â