Jan Bednarek

Delphinho123

4 hours ago, WooJung said:

If Hause does well I'm the championship he might gain value and we might sell him for a half decent price. Bednarek covers for that short term, might be a better player (haven't seen enough to tell), and come the summer we will be able to assess how he fits in and how Diego Carlo is doing fitness wise.

I can see the logic. Hopefully it also works out.

The price gain will be eaten up because we probably paying both these players salaries for the season near enough.

Watford aren't paying Hause 30k - 40k a week.

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Because they bought a better player for 10m

The argument for me is if we should have bought caleta car instead and what that would mean for our squad, I think we should have done personally 

Maybe the club wanted a short term player that could hit the ground running when called upon. 

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Maybe the club wanted a short term player that could hit the ground running when called upon. 

probably

but i think next summer we will be buying another CB to replace konsa, CC this summer would have given us the cover this year and mean we can sell konsa next summer without much fuss, what we've done instead means we have more work to do

i still also think chambers has done enough to deserve to start and bednarek should be 3rd choice

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

probably

but i think next summer we will be buying another CB to replace konsa, CC this summer would have given us the cover this year and mean we can sell konsa next summer without much fuss, what we've done instead means we have more work to do

i still also think chambers has done enough to deserve to start and bednarek should be 3rd choice

I agree with you on both. I think they wanted some height and experience for the short term. 

We are spending to replace Konsa for sure - I think they want the management situation resolved first though. 

• Like 1

Interesting article in the athletic by their Southampton writer. 

Doesn't paint a pretty picture. A highly rated young defender on a downward spiral. 

Couple of things stood out:

"In Bednarek’s final 12 appearances, the team shipped 30 goals and kept a single clean sheet. It was obvious something had to give."

"Rumblings of discontent concerning his form and flatlining development had grown audible and for all his admirable qualities and attitude, Bednarek was no longer Hasenhuttl’s most trusted defensive option. The firefighter became brittle in a high backline, unable to cut out glaring individual errors and increasingly exposed in one-v-one situations. In truth, Bednarek’s initial strengths disintegrated into weaknesses."

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

This just screams "long term injury to a key player" 

I think European teams have better back-ups. We could have done with another elite CB anyway.

Anyway pointless arguing. We’ve had a couple of seasons now to push on and get quality and we have completely failed. 

I don’t remember watching him (I surely did but didn’t know him by then), but I think it’s a shrewd business. A loan, in an area where we need more players. 
we didn’t buy an average CB which we’ll stuck with, we still have Carlos who will hopefully get back stronger. We could wait until next summer to get the right player. 

For me now we have a good squad, a bit short in terms of wingers but in general we can build on this squad. We just need to get the managerial appointment right this time.

38 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

What we could do, and I know it’s a bit of a change, but we could actually try giving support to someone who hasn’t kicked a ball for us yet perhaps?

in-there-out.gif

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Interesting article in the athletic by their Southampton writer. 

Doesn't paint a pretty picture. A highly rated young defender on a downward spiral. 

Couple of things stood out:

"In Bednarek’s final 12 appearances, the team shipped 30 goals and kept a single clean sheet. It was obvious something had to give."

"Rumblings of discontent concerning his form and flatlining development had grown audible and for all his admirable qualities and attitude, Bednarek was no longer Hasenhuttl’s most trusted defensive option. The firefighter became brittle in a high backline, unable to cut out glaring individual errors and increasingly exposed in one-v-one situations. In truth, Bednarek’s initial strengths disintegrated into weaknesses."

Doesn't look great.  Could be he's on a permanent down, could be he needs a new challenge and will come good, though  Man City wouldn't  be the game to start rebuilding confidence

Â