Relegation Battle - 22/23

Tayls

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Based on league positions we've had the 3rd easiest schedule so far, which obviously hasn't translated into league position for us.  Looking at the other clubs, most sides with easier schedules are in the top half of the league so you could say they've made it count.  The exception is Leeds who, despite the 6th easiest schedule find themselves 12th. Not good, but not as bad as us.

On the flip side of that, Fulham who've had the 2nd toughest schedule so far (only Palace have had tougher) find themselves 8th in the league.

So yeah, when the schedule does turn we'll need to find some steel or we're in even more trouble than we're already in.

I do think we'll have enough, but the fact the ambition has fallen so low as to be even having this conversation tells us all we need to know.

Sadly enough, "pragmatic" football might be enough to duke it out against Forest, Wolves, Bournemouth, Southampton etc.

The problem when I think of that list is that I can't think of too many more teams we're currently playing better than those 4. Frank has finally learned some lessons about defending at Everton. Palace have had a horribly tough fixture list to start but I think they'll turn it around. I'm sure Moyes will drag West Ham to midtable.

Even of the 4 (Forest, Wolves, Bournemouth, Soton) - only Forest we'd probably be decent favorites on. My worry is that we'll be 17th/18th by the WC and they still won't pull the trigger on sacking Gerrard. Then you've got this fixture list after the break - Liverpool, Spurs, Wolves, Leeds, Soton. They'll probably give him some rope since the last 3 are basically 6 pointers but if we don't get results there?

Then it's Leciester, City, Arsenal, Everton, Palace, West Ham. I don't know if we'll have enough to escape after that.

One dynamic that will affect the season is that we don't really have any long uninterrupted runs of very hard games (ie runs of like 4-6 games against top 7/8 teams). That might help, as it might mean we can continue to pick up points at a steady but slow rate throughout the season. Or it might hurt, because it might give Purslow a reason to keep giving Gerrard 'one more chance'. But it will be a factor. 

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

One dynamic that will affect the season is that we don't really have any long uninterrupted runs of very hard games (ie runs of like 4-6 games against top 7/8 teams). That might help, as it might mean we can continue to pick up points at a steady but slow rate throughout the season. Or it might hurt, because it might give Purslow a reason to keep giving Gerrard 'one more chance'. But it will be a factor. 

At the moment.

Until the calendar gets **** up.

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Bournemouth arent rolling over as people expected this summer

Maybe our board should do what they did a few weeks back with Parker

But it wasn’t Parker’s coaching fault, it was the players fault or does that only work for Gerrard’s coaching? 😂

• Like 1

On 04/10/2022 at 15:23, BOF said:

Based on league positions we've had the 3rd easiest schedule so far, which obviously hasn't translated into league position for us.  Looking at the other clubs, most sides with easier schedules are in the top half of the league so you could say they've made it count.  The exception is Leeds who, despite the 6th easiest schedule find themselves 12th. Not good, but not as bad as us.

On the flip side of that, Fulham who've had the 2nd toughest schedule so far (only Palace have had tougher) find themselves 8th in the league.

So yeah, when the schedule does turn we'll need to find some steel or we're in even more trouble than we're already in.

I do think we'll have enough, but the fact the ambition has fallen so low as to be even having this conversation tells us all we need to know.

9b220eb1c91d43225188809186afd89d.png

Sure i agree, I think most of us feel this way too - but is it really enough ? Reported £6mill a year in salary plus a huge wedge on an over inflated coaching staff and between them they can’t get a tune out of quite a talented bunch of players. Added to this he lets one of our three most talented players go out on loan.

I really don’t think he has the foggiest idea of what to do - however I agree in that there are three sides worse than us and on this basis I feel we’ll be safe 

On 09/10/2022 at 06:22, smg said:

Win tomorrow and 1 point off 7th but not good enough for some if it happens.

Not good enough for me.Look at who we have already played and then look at who we have still to play and we are in trouble.With Forest bottom of the table and with their woeful record so far,anything less that a 0-3 win to us is failure IMHO.

On 09/10/2022 at 01:22, smg said:

Win tomorrow and 1 point off 7th but not good enough for some if it happens.

Hopefully we won, but our performances are dire, our manager is trying what we all know will not work. It’s not only about results or league position. 
Give me 7th at the end of the season with dire performances and I’ll be happy but it doesn’t work that way.

Scored 7 goals, 9 points for 9 games, a pretty easy run of fixtures. If Gerrard stays we are down. Needs to go tomorrow, the longer he stays the harder the job for the next guy gets!