Relegation Battle - 22/23

Tayls

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I don't see it TBH. We're crap but we're treading water - a new man at the helm will see us pick up and off to mid table we go. Huge 2021 vibes.

One difference is Purslow has gone from looking for a reason to get rid of the last manager to looking for everyone reason imaginable to keep this one. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

One difference is Purslow has gone from looking for a reason to get rid of the last manager to looking for everyone reason imaginable to keep this one. 

True true. Hopefully NSWE pull the plug for him.

It's all my fault. I took a bit o a break after our fist season in the Championship and just followed from afar, not watching the games until this season. Well, we all know how that went. It's not Gerrard, it's on me. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Hard to have confidence if you don't believe in something.

The players obviously don't believe in the coaching and manager.

Change those 2 things and you have a different team.

I agree why our owners can't see it and Purslow the man who hired him.

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

People said the same before Smith got the boot. Maybe it's on the players more than people acknowledge. 

No doubt about it they aren't performing with the quality we have , but we look lost system wise game plan tactics everything we're not even doing the basics. I still maintain the ramblings and issues preseason has caused problems in the dressing room when will owners acknowledge it is the question because our manager is playing to save himself and no one is bigger then the club.

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

People said the same before Smith got the boot. Maybe it's on the players more than people acknowledge. 

While they take some blame they are clearly not being coached effectively. Gerrard has as good as come out and said that they don't coach them to attack they merely wait for someone to supply inspiration. These players are well capable of one touch pass and move but have to stop and look up each and every time they get the ball because they have no idea what any other players will be doing. A well drilled attacking team will know that when Player A gets the ball in a certain are Player B will be making run into a different part of the pitch, the ball can be moved quickly and a defence can be split. None of that happens because the players are not being coached to do it. It is exactly the same as a Steve Bruce side and Gerrard is of the same standard of management as Bruce.

Just realised this is the relegation thread, I'll move the conversation else where.

Edited by picicata
Wrong thread

Bottom 14 teams can all take points off each other this season as Doesn't seem a Norwich or Sheffield United sinking early on plus a Sky 6 team in Liverpool are struggling

I wonder will this make relegation points higher than normal this season

• Like 1

7 hours ago, calcifer said:

We are one of them, the football we play is diabolical, fully expect us to be in the mix this season. Stick with Gerrard and we are down. He couldn't manage a P up in a brewery! 

That's why I said...if we're in the relegation battle at New Year's, no way they stick with SG. That's the latest they sack him if this continues (which it will).

The longer we keep him the harder it will be to get a half descent manager - Poch is not coming here for a relegation Battle. More chance of Bruce coming back......

This is an excellent point. The only way we get Poch is (1) we pay him lots of money, and (2) we put him in a position to succeed, which means that he sees potential in the current side, and we promise him money for more players. He knows that the season is lost if we're 18th in December, and he also knows it will be harder to bring in the players he wants.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Bottom 14 teams can all take points off each other this season as Doesn't seem a Norwich or Sheffield United sinking early on plus a Sky 6 team in Liverpool are struggling

I wonder will this make relegation points higher than normal this season

I think that it is likely to be higher, although I do think Forest may do a Norwich/Sheffield United this season. I can also see Fulham, Brentford, Bournemouth and Southampton fighting it out to stay out of the remaining two relegation places. We average a point a game so far and I suspect that 38 points will see any club safe. That is 31 points from our last 31 games. As Ron Saunders once said, "Do you want to bet against us?". If so, we're 6/1 @ Coral and they consider eight other teams are more likely to go down than we are. I for one, think they are on the money and I won't be taking that 6/1! ;)

I hope all the people who said we were going to get relegated this time last year before Gerrard came in are keeping the same energy. 

We had more points (10) at this stage last season than this with the following fixtures:

Watford (A)

Newcastle (H)

Brentford (H)

Chelsea (A)

Everton (H)

Manchester United (A) (We had 10 points by this point already, with some great performances against Chelsea, Everton and United. Things were looking rosy at this point)

Tottenham (A)

Wolves (H)

Arsenal (A)

---------------------------

Compare that to:

---------------------------

Bournemouth (A)

Everton (H)

Palace (A)

West Ham (H)

Arsenal (A)

Man City (H)

Southampton (H)

Leeds (A)

Nottingham Forest (A)

We blew a very kind start. West Ham and Everton are not the same forces they once were. Forest and Bournemouth are among the worst promoted teams I've seen recently and we only got 1 point out of those 2 games.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Going to be plenty of home six pointers if we don't improve....from Jan 1st we will be playing all of Wolves, Bournemouth, Fulham, Leicester, Leeds, Forest at home.

Only positive is we've beaten Everton and Southampton at VP so that's the only thing this squad under this manager is capable of and Southampton win was more down to how terrible they were.

We'll be o.k...just.

Bigger debate surely is fourth season back up, 100s of millions invested and it's come to this and the owners are getting this terrible terrible manager endless games. Not good enough.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Gerrard has 44 points from his 36 league games, just enough to avoid relegation.  By comparison Smith had 40 points from his previous 36 games.

And Smith got sacked ?! why is Gerrard still here ?

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Going to be plenty of home six pointers if we don't improve....from Jan 1st we will be playing all of Wolves, Bournemouth, Fulham, Leicester, Leeds, Forest at home.

Only positive is we've beaten Everton and Southampton at VP so that's the only thing this squad under this manager is capable of and Southampton win was more down to how terrible they were.

We'll be o.k...just.

Bigger debate surely is fourth season back up, 100s of millions invested and it's come to this and the owners are getting this terrible terrible manager endless games. Not good enough.

Best part of £400 million spent and Ashley Young is needing to get the equaliser for a point at Forest.

I would hope it is of certainty is Steve will get the sack gets less than 3 points in the next run of 3 (Chelsea, Fulham, Brentford).

The math is going to continue to work against us and will require an enormous new manager bounce if Steve is kept on through January.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJBOB said:

I would hope it is of certainty is Steve will get the sack gets less than 3 points in the next run of 3 (Chelsea, Fulham, Brentford).

The math is going to continue to work against us and will require an enormous new manager bounce if Steve is kept on through January.

Well Chelsea will almost certainly be a loss. If it is, the Gerrard will have 18 points in his last 21 games, which is a PPG of 0.85 or just under 33 points over a season. 

18 hours ago, duke313 said:

Gerrard has 44 points from his 36 league games, just enough to avoid relegation.  By comparison Smith had 40 points from his previous 36 games.

So we can all agree then smith deserved the sack gerrards done no better so he should be sacked also.

It wasnt a mistake sacking smith it was just a mistake who we replaced him with.

• Like 2