Relegation Battle - 22/23

Tayls

1 minute ago, ozvilla28 said:

Confidence is shot we look mentally fragile.

Hard to have confidence if you don't believe in something.

The players obviously don't believe in the coaching and manager.

Change those 2 things and you have a different team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

I think we are in major danger of going down. We have had a pretty generous run of games and can’t beat one point per game. 

Away form is going to be a massive issue now. In 10 days time we'd have played all three promoted teams away and I can't see us beating Fulham in this state. Leeds was also a very winnable away game in the circumstances.

Last season we won 7 away games, not going to get close to that with what we're going to be playing in second half of the season.

Hopefully we'll scrap out enough wins at VP to keep above bottom 3 but it's not going to be a comfortable ride at all, don't think we even make 45 points given we're just slumming along a point a game and it's been a pretty kind start to the season with who we've played.

• Like 1

We aren't going down. We have the players to stay up. If we're in the relegation zone when the World Cup starts, or at New Year's, they will finally sack SG. We have the players to stay up. Whoever the new manager is will right the ship at least enough to keep us up.

Furthermore, while we have no attack right now, the defense has tightened up. We're at -4 goal difference. Soton, Wolves, Forest, and Leicester are all -9 or worse. Yes, ours will get worse over the next 8 matches, but despite all the talk of parity, there are some really bad teams at the bottom.

I'm not worried...yet.

The additional problem of Gerrard is that while we have good players, do we have the right composition of players now that he’s shipped out all of our wingers?

A lot will then depend on Bailey and/or Buendia/Coutinho to maintain their width when a new manager comes in but that is not Buendia/Coutinho’s natural instinct as they both like to drift inside. 

Additionally, without Kamara, we will be again lightweight in the DM department. Maybe Dendocker or bringing Nakamba back will work but we have the same questionable midfield combinations. 

I think some combination can be had but the decision must not left be too late. The squad itself is not versatile enough to dogfight their way out of relegation should it be February/March and we’re still on bottom. Not enough pace to be a counter attacking team and not enough nous to be a controlling, possession team. 

I don’t think it has anything to do with confidence.

They all all very good players and not getting the right clear messages from the manager and are playing confused, as they don’t know their roles.

A good manager makes his messages simple so the players understand what is required, it’s obviously not occurring. 

He needs to go, so the season can be saved.

I thought there was no way possible, but this thread is real.

By the time these owners, who are clearly hoodwinked by Purslow, act I fear it will be too late.

Unless something changes soon, we may as well jump in time machine and go back 7 years ....

The stats are damning, we are possibly the worst team in the league right now. At least Forrest have a good manager!

6 hours ago, TomC said:

We aren't going down. We have the players to stay up. If we're in the relegation zone when the World Cup starts, or at New Year's, they will finally sack SG. We have the players to stay up. Whoever the new manager is will right the ship at least enough to keep us up.

Furthermore, while we have no attack right now, the defense has tightened up. We're at -4 goal difference. Soton, Wolves, Forest, and Leicester are all -9 or worse. Yes, ours will get worse over the next 8 matches, but despite all the talk of parity, there are some really bad teams at the bottom.

I'm not worried...yet.

We are one of them, the football we play is diabolical, fully expect us to be in the mix this season. Stick with Gerrard and we are down. He couldn't manage a P up in a brewery!  The longer we keep him the harder it will be to get a half descent manager - Poch is not coming here for a relegation Battle. More chance of Bruce coming back......