Relegation Battle - 22/23

Tayls

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Lose to Fulham which is highly likely and we are in some deep shit 

If we lose to Fulham and Brentford, we are in some serious trouble. The remaining fixtures after that for 2022, is matches we shouldn’t expect to get anything from. That would leave us with 9 points after 17 matches going into January. At that stage it is maybe even to late for a new manager.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Absolutely, sitting around twiddling thumbs while we are sinking

If this was Lerner would be uproar on here

Because we know the owners are good eggs. Thus, less uproar.

They're trusting their football men to do right thing.

We just really really need them to realise they've appointed a chancer.

50 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I have to disagree with this, the same frailties were there for all to see. I remember one game, Man United, I think, where we changed the gameplan at half time, came out fighting and played well...Then went back to the same shit the next game.

I remember quite a few conversations about people being "hysterical" about out poor pre season performances, and it'd all be ok in the competitive games.

We couldn't sack a manager for a shit preseason and one poor league game, but the writing was well and truly on the wall, most just didn't want to see it yet.

Yeah fair points but we were obtainibg results ans keeping clean sheets. So it was looking abit more promising on the defensive side with carlos in defence and kamara ( i think they played)

Last paragraph i agree with. If they were gonna sack him had to be end of season not pre season 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah fair points but we were obtainibg results ans keeping clean sheets. So it was looking abit more promising on the defensive side with carlos in defence and kamara ( i think they played)

Last paragraph i agree with. If they were gonna sack him had to be end of season not pre season 

We kept clean sheets vs Walsall, Leeds and Brisbane. Defence was a shambles vs Rennes and United

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

We’re in a relegation battle this season. Anyone who thinks we’re not is living with the fairies. Purslow and Gerrard have effed up this season. 

Nah, sack Gerrard, bring in Poch, give him £50M to spend in Jan, and i'm pretty certain he finishes around 8-10th.    

Even if we don't give him £50m, he'll probably have this exact same squad 10th.

• Like 3

We're only certain to be in a relegation battle if we stick with Gerrard, or replace him but with an equally bad or worse appointment.

Avoiding a relegation battle is very much in our own hands, if we make a change and appoint an half decent manager then it can easily be avoided, as we have a squad at least capable of finishing midtable, not saying our squad is amazing, but with the players we've got, even allowing for the current injuries, we shouldn't be anywhere near the bottom three.

If another team was in our situation, with our players and squad, I would be saying they probably won't be relegated come the end of the season because if they don't improve soon, they will change manager and then likely climb up the table.

Either we improve with Gerrard, or more likely he will get the sack before long and we will improve under a new manager.

• Like 2

You know what the real scary thing is? Just how many times I've seen us perform like we did against Chelsea. It was so, so Villa. Start like an express train, bombard the opposition's goal with corner after corner. Then, out of absolutely nowhere, inexplicably concede a goal. It was as Groundhog day as it gets.

It has to be a mentality issue because it's happened under other managers,  and that's not a defence of SG. He isn't getting a tune out of these players, sometimes you can hear the piano but you're still not hearing the music. 

It's going to be some struggle trying to instill some self- belief into that team. As soon as Mount scored that gift of a first goal you could see the confidence slowly drain from the team. A lot of us knew from there that it was game - over. 

It's almost like the fragility is acceptable, as if they would rather feel sorry for themselves. Where is the will to fight when backs are to the wall or the determination to not let mistakes become an excuse for self - destruction? 

Someone needs to find some inspiration from somewhere and quick. These players have to start wanting it more than the opposition. They can't keep crumbling when the going gets tough, that's not how it works. Let's see some responsibility. No more going out there with the game already lost in the head, show some resistance. Earn your spurs. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I have to disagree with this, the same frailties were there for all to see. I remember one game, Man United, I think, where we changed the gameplan at half time, came out fighting and played well...Then went back to the same shit the next game.

I remember quite a few conversations about people being "hysterical" about out poor pre season performances, and it'd all be ok in the competitive games.

We couldn't sack a manager for a shit preseason and one poor league game, but the writing was well and truly on the wall, most just didn't want to see it yet.

This all day. There were plenty of people who pointed out that the worrying trends from the previous season were still clearly evident. But then the likes of @TROclaimed it was an excellent pre season because we weren't beaten. 

That last paragraph is bang on.

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

You know what the real scary thing is? Just how many times I've seen us perform like we did against Chelsea. It was so, so Villa. Start like an express train, bombard the opposition's goal with corner after corner. Then, out of absolutely nowhere, inexplicably concede a goal. It was as Groundhog day as it gets.

It has to be a mentality issue because it's happened under other managers,  and that's not a defence of SG. He isn't getting a tune out of these players, sometimes you can hear the piano but you're still not hearing the music. 

It's going to be some struggle trying to instill some self- belief into that team. As soon as Mount scored that gift of a first goal you could see the confidence slowly drain from the team. A lot of us knew from there that it was game - over. 

It's almost like the fragility is acceptable, as if they would rather feel sorry for themselves. Where is the will to fight when backs are to the wall or the determination to not let mistakes become an excuse for self - destruction? 

Someone needs to find some inspiration from somewhere and quick. These players have to start wanting it more than the opposition. They can't keep crumbling when the going gets tough, that's not how it works. Let's see some responsibility. No more going out there with the game already lost in the head, show some resistance. Earn your spurs. 

If it was all games I’d agree, but only couple of big games were we do that? If it was only performances I’d be ok giving Gerrard more time, but its much worse. Transfer strategy, problems with players, not giving chances to youngsters, doing same mistake and more week in week out. 

5 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

If it was all games I’d agree, but only couple of big games were we do that? If it was only performances I’d be ok giving Gerrard more time, but its much worse. Transfer strategy, problems with players, not giving chances to youngsters, doing same mistake and more week in week out. 

This fragility was there long before Gerrard. Remember Leicester under Sherwood and Wolves under Smith. I wasn't making the post in defence of Gerrard, but the facts are, we have been weak and fragile as a team for far, far too long.

The culture at this club needs to be looked at deeply, because until it's changed, then regardless of who is the manager, these inherent problems will just keep on rearing their ugly heads.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ender4 said:

Nah, sack Gerrard, bring in Poch, give him £50M to spend in Jan, and i'm pretty certain he finishes around 8-10th.    

Even if we don't give him £50m, he'll probably have this exact same squad 10th.

£50 mil? That would get one player who'll improve us. Sadly we need to spend 3 times that, but bloody properly this time. 

On 17/10/2022 at 09:16, viivvaa66 said:

If we lose to Fulham and Brentford, we are in some serious trouble. The remaining fixtures after that for 2022, is matches we shouldn’t expect to get anything from. That would leave us with 9 points after 17 matches going into January. At that stage it is maybe even to late for a new manager.

We got points off Newcastle, Man. United and Brighton in at least one game last season so too early to write these off especially if we actually have someone new in.

2 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

£50 mil? That would get one player who'll improve us. Sadly we need to spend 3 times that, but bloody properly this time. 

Bruno Guimaraes cost Newcastle around that figure, he's vastly improved them in last 12 months so it can be done.

Despite the individual errors defensively we're not that bad and that's with key injuries, 13 goals conceded in 10 games isn't far off what the top teams have conceded so far (Man. City 10 in 10, infact the top 4 have all conceded 10 goals).

Upfront isn't great but think we'll have to wait until next summer to properly fix it so would rather the next manager gives Archer some starts.

Perhaps loaning in a wide player will also be possible.

I certainly think we'll be stuck in this position for most of the season if we just don't do anything as our play is very reflective of 16th best team. On how we've played so far we're very lucky not to be bottom 3 I think.

Things do change though. This time last year we were losing five in a row and then won four of the next six games and a similar run would get us comfortable top half. It needs to start sooner or later though.

19 hours ago, DCJonah said:

This all day. There were plenty of people who pointed out that the worrying trends from the previous season were still clearly evident. But then the likes of @TROclaimed it was an excellent pre season because we weren't beaten. 

That last paragraph is bang on.

I agree with you in as much as the pre season wasn't convincing football.....but 5 wins and a draw, is hard to sniff at.

Its been a long time, if I am being honest to see convincing football....and I don't think I will see it with this present squad, even if the manager goes......and I think he will.

On 17/10/2022 at 09:18, Davkaus said:

All correct.

The one that niggled me, back to last season was this weird thing of "people will laugh at us" if we were to sack Gerrard. They'll laugh if we go down as well. Really strange.

We’re lucky that the table is fairly tight, a lot of draws this season means the sides around us are all in touching distance. Really need to pull a win out of somewhere tomorrow; we’d go level with Fulham, who many consider to have started this season well. Lose and its all doom and gloom. Surprisingly we’re slight favourites with the bookies tomorrow.

• Like 2