Relegation Battle - 22/23

Tayls

Apparently if you get 8 points from your first 5 games you have a 96% chance of staying up. 

So if we’re currently at threat of relegation then you could argue that is the case for teams up to 11. 

I prefer to wait until 10 games or so before really worrying.  Last season we looked in a scrap after 14 games but then after a few wins we looked like chasing Europe. 

19 hours ago, calcifer said:

Could we get relegated? With the players we have you would have to be a pretty crap manager to do that.......

We won’t get relegated regardless of who is in charge. That I’m certain of. But as mentioned in other threads a relegation battle is not good enough for this squad.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We won’t get relegated regardless of who is in charge. That I’m certain of. But as mentioned in other threads a relegation battle is not good enough for this squad.

I'm of the same mind. This team should be too good to go down regardless of who is in charge.

On 04/09/2022 at 18:29, Marka Ragnos said:

My City buzz has almost worn off.

Our paltry 4 points again look like crumbs left on the breakfast table.

We need to start winning some games soon before we’re screwed. 

Two wins from the next two and we're looking pretty rosy again though. 

And the post two week break run of games is Leeds, Forest, Chelsea (not exactly great atm), Fulham, Brentford. 

Optimistic, I know, but not impossible to pick up decent points from that lot if we suddenly found form. 

The Leicester game is monumentally important to continue moment off the back of the City game. Lose, and squad morale is back to gutter-tier. 

• Like 1

On 04/09/2022 at 18:29, Marka Ragnos said:

My City buzz has almost worn off.

Our paltry 4 points again look like crumbs left on the breakfast table.

We need to start winning some games soon before we’re screwed. 

It was nice to get a point from one. We haven't drawn many the last few seasons.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Other than Bournemouh (who still beat us lol), I struggle to think of a team that play worse football than us. We are absolutely at risk of being relegated. 

Bournemouth have a game plan at least. Look if you want to play Pulis/Allardyce dire football at least tell us at moment we have no clue what style we want

6 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Gerrard won't take us down...

Beat Forest and we'll be top ten.

9 games is basically a quarter of the season, so the maths is not too hard:

-if we lose and we're on 8, that would put us on target for 33 or so (allowing for 9 not being exactly 25% of 38) - 33 is relegation form. 

-if we draw and we're on 9, that would put us on target for 37 or so and that would probably be enough for 16th or 17th.

-if we win and we're on 11, that would put us on target for 45 or so and that would be towards the top of the bottom half of the table

Of course these figures are false - Leicester aren't going to finish the season with 4 points or whatever - but they do give a rough guide. Forest is also one of the easier fixtures this season, though we are away of course, but we could do with not losing. 

The big picture is that with 2 draws already, 10 or 11 wins will be enough to stay up. The question is whether Gerrard can get us to that target. 

• Like 2

Looking at the table, I think we could definitely get dragged into a relegation battle. A lot of the teams below us, Leicester, West ham, Palace even Wolves, have some decent players and are out of form, but could easily drive up the table. Wolves changed manager, West ham and leciester just won, Palace have been a bit unlucky I'd argue. Forest are woeful and Bournemouth will probs fall down, but the way we're playing, I think we could be in contention for that third spot. Not that we should be mind.

• Like 1

On 02/10/2022 at 20:55, HanoiVillan said:

9 games is basically a quarter of the season, so the maths is not too hard:

-if we lose and we're on 8, that would put us on target for 33 or so (allowing for 9 not being exactly 25% of 38) - 33 is relegation form. 

-if we draw and we're on 9, that would put us on target for 37 or so and that would probably be enough for 16th or 17th.

-if we win and we're on 11, that would put us on target for 45 or so and that would be towards the top of the bottom half of the table

Of course these figures are false - Leicester aren't going to finish the season with 4 points or whatever - but they do give a rough guide. Forest is also one of the easier fixtures this season, though we are away of course, but we could do with not losing. 

The big picture is that with 2 draws already, 10 or 11 wins will be enough to stay up. The question is whether Gerrard can get us to that target. 

Also we have had quite an easy run compared to other teams around us, we still have to play 4 of the big 6 before the half way point.

• Like 1