Relegation Battle - 22/23

Tayls

https://twitter.com/AVFCSta

If I recall correctly, it was Brian Little that had that start. We struggled for the majority of the season but then landed the one and only John Gregory.

We then went on a run that saw us gain Europe in that season and then top the table by Christmas the next year.

Hoping history repeats.

Edited by ozvillafan
formatting failure
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

How Rodgers is making that squad perform so badly I do not understand. 

They're lacking so much confidence. Worked the ball o.k at times but all fell apart in final third with poor decision making and rash shots.

We just went there after a run of defeats last season and scrapped out a boring 0-0 so probably same again if Gerrard survives long enough.

16 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

https://twitter.com/AVFCSta

If I recall correctly, it was Brian Little that had that start. We struggled for the majority of the season but then landed the one and only John Gregory.

We then went on a run that saw us gain Europe in that season and then top the table by Christmas the next year.

Hoping history repeats.

IIRC Little clung on until February by which time we were teetering above the relegation zone. 

Yet Gregory got us into a European place by the end of the season! Remarkable stuff, crazy season.

I wonder if Brian Little is still advising the club? If so, wonder what he is saying given his own very similar experience?

• Like 1

On 31/08/2022 at 19:34, Xela said:

Being a mid table team was boring anyway. 

That was the feeling I got on here. So much dissatisfaction with Smith’s midtable ceiling and the owners not pushing us on fast enough. As always in football, careful what we wish for! We’ve used the pretence of a relegation battle last season to make a change that has thrown us into one this season. The change was theoretically fine but it wasn’t the right man - now this time they have much less margin of error in who they go after.

On 31/08/2022 at 19:42, danceoftheshamen said:

We have now seen all but one of our wide players sold off which really limits what a new manager can do with this team

Nah, I agree somewhat because I wouldn’t have sold Traore but in a 4-2-3-1 if a manager can’t make up the wide players from Bailey, Buendia, Coutinho, Watkins for at least a couple of months then there’s no excuse. The issue we have is not the quality of players.

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

I had Everton down as relegation certainties but with Gueye, Onana and a striker in the door I think they’ll have enough to stay up. Really need a change asap or we are in big trouble.

Plus strengthening the CB with Coady and Tarkowski. Their spine is looking pretty solid now. You can't imagine they will be as bad as they have been for too much longer. I don't think Leicester and wolves will be this bad all season either. Forest have strengthened aswell. 

Unless we get a competent manager in soon we could be cut adrift in the relegation zone. That's why it's important not to take any risks with the next manager, otherwise it will be a repeat of the '15/16 season again. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

Very worried watching Everton just now.

Rode their luck a bit but they fought for every ball today and team responded and pretty good 0-0 against superior team. Dogs of war at Goodison worked for them from March last season and they've gone into that mode very early this season so I think they'll be beating a few mid table teams at home before too long.

Will we see any of that in three hours time, what do you think?

Edited by VillaChris

21 minutes ago, Rich_H said:

Everton looking really decent there, Liverpool not at their best but Everton gave them a game and seemed to be quite dangerous on the break, moving the ball quickly.

They've been doing that all season, against us they got into dangerous areas but constantly wasted the final ball until last 10 minutes when they started getting shots on target.

They gambled Calvert Lewin would get fit. If he ever plays again he's shown he can get finishing touch to some of their moves.

I find them much more interesting to watch as there's at least some identity to them with their games being pretty frantic and end to end and you never know what Pickford is going to do next.

We're just a very boring rudderless ship currently and it's just not nice to watch.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would rather Bournemouth get cut adrift so then there's only two relegation spots in play then.

They haven't scored for four and a half games now so suggests they will.

How bad was that opening day result. Losing by 2 there in the same way we lost to relegated Watford the year before. Just inexcusable as a club to let that happen twice.