Relegation Battle - 22/23

Tayls

I really do fear for us. It's a strong Prem this season with 2 of the promoted sides looking like they'll stay up and the other we lost to.

I am extremely concerned about the state of the squad too. We keep being told how good it is & yet for me it is really fragmented. We have now seen all but one of our wide players sold off which really limits what a new manager can do with this team. It is a very one dimensional squad now in my view and with the owners dragging their heels on firing the worst manager in the clubs history (regards wins), we will now lose the transer window for a new manager too!

The players are simply not performing, yet if they are playing decently it seems there reward is that they are being dropped for players who repeatedly under-perform!

If we now sell Luiz too I don't see us recovering from this absolute mess. 

Then of course if Gerrard is sacked what'll happen with his mate Coutinho? He is playing very oddly below par as it is! Will he get even worse? 

From last season we have lost: Elghazi, Traore, Chuk, Trez & Hause, then of course our main new signing Carlos, through injury. All of these were regular contributors last season & under DS. We have also effectively seen off Sanson, Nakamba & also upset Mings & likely Luiz & Chambers who seem to play really well when called upon but then get dropped! This can surely only be described as gross mismanagement! Then we have destroyed the captaincy with Gerrard saying "we lacked leadership" under his new captain!! 

And we wonder why the team is in a mess?!

I really fear for us a I cannot see another team in quite such a state as ours, not even close actually!

I can only hope (although doubt) that we'll see one or two fresh faces in later today to boost morale and the owners react in time to the urgent need to stop this and do whatever they can to get a top manager in who can sort this mess out!

Edited by danceoftheshamen

3 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I really do fear for us. It's a strong Prem this season with 2 of the promoted sides looking like they'll stay up and the other we lost to.

I am extremely concerned about the state of the squad too. We keep being told how good it is & yet for me it is really fragmented. We have now seen all but one of our wide player sold off which really limits what a new manager can do with this team. It is a very one dimensional squad now in my view and with the owners dragging their heels on firing the worst manager in the clubs history regards wins the transfer window will be closed too until Jan. 

Players are simply not performing, yet if they are playing decent they are being dropped for players who repeatedly under-perform!

If we now sell Luiz too I don't see us recovering from this absolute mess. 

Then of course if Gerrard is sacked what'll happen with his mate Coutinho? He is playing very oddly below par as it is! Will he get even worse? 

We have lost

Elghazi, Traore, Trez, Hause, Carlos through injury & Chuk... all regular contributors under DS, and also have effectively seen off Sanson, Nakamba & also upset Mings & likely Luiz & Chambers through what can only be described as gross mismanagement! Then we have destroyed the captaincy with Gerrard saying we lacked leadership under his new captain!! 

And we wonder why the team is in a mess?!

I really fear for us a I cannot see another team in quite such a state as ours, not even close actually!

I can only hope (although doubt) that we'll see one or two fresh faces in later today to boost morale and the owners react in time to the urgent need to stop this and do whatever they can to get a top manager in who can sort this mess out!

It's a long season tbf and many teams who have looked awful for longer than we have have ended up staying up relatively comfortably.

Obviously if we keep hold of Gerrard then yeah we're in deep trouble but if we act quickly our chances are decent.

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It's a long season tbf and many teams who have looked awful for longer than we have have ended up staying up relatively comfortably.

Obviously if we keep hold of Gerrard then yeah we're in deep trouble but if we act quickly our chances are decent.

I hope so Mantis but for me the squad is weaker than last season by some margin. We have lost Hause from defence and of course Carlos is out now so defensively we are actually weaker. Iv'e not been overly impressed with Digne either in all honesty and he is for me weaker defensively than Targett. With Mings also alienated and Chambers being oddly dropped even though playing really well, is it any surprise we are conceding so many?! 

1 minute ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I hope so Mantis but for me the squad is weaker than last season by some margin. We have lost Hause from defence and of course Carlos is out now so defensively we are actually weaker. Iv'e not been overly impressed with Digne either in all honesty and he is for me weaker defensively than Targett. With Mings also alienated and Chambers being oddly dropped even though playing really well, is it any surprise we are conceding so many?! 

I agree on Chambers but I don't think loaning out Hause makes us "weaker by some margin". A lot of the problems stem from the management.

1 minute ago, danceoftheshamen said:

What about Digne? Do you think he's better than Targett?

Overall yes. It's not as if Targett was flying high for us last season either.

In any case, I certainly don't think loaning out Hause, swapping Targett for Digne and adding Kamara is much weaker than last season.

Just now, Mantis said:

Overall yes. It's not as if Targett was flying high for us last season either.

In any case, I certainly don't think loaning out Hause, swapping Targett for Digne and adding Kamara is much weaker than last season.

Ok, for me Targett was better defensively but worse going forward. Hause was only back up of course but losing Carlos too for me makes us weaker as we are two down in defence including our apparent "crown jewel". Add into that Digne's defensive weaknesses compared to Targett and it becomes obvious why we are conceding so many.

I like Kamara of course but Luiz did a decent job there too last season and he has now effectively been dropped (And looks like he may be sold today) plus we have effectively trashed Nakamba who was the main backup and played quite a bit last season. 

I agree the mis-management is a huge issue of course but for me a new manager will have some big issues to solve.

Just now, danceoftheshamen said:

Ok, for me Targett was better defensively but worse going forward. Hause was only back up of course but losing Carlos too for me makes us weaker as we are two down in defence including our apparent "crown jewel". Add into that Digne's defensive weaknesses compared to Targett and it becomes obvious why we are conceding so many.

I like Kamara of course but Luiz did a decent job there too last season and he has now effectively been dropped (And looks like he may be sold today) plus we have effectively trashed Nakamba who was the main backup and played quite a bit last season. 

I agree the mis-management is a huge issue of course but for me a new manager will have some big issues to solve.

Ok but Luiz being dropped and Nakamba being bombed out are managerial issues which can easily be reversed.

At the end of the day I'm just not seeing this "weaker than last season by some stretch" stuff. If anything the squad is slightly stronger.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

We win more in the championship anyway who needs the premier league.

I always convince myself of that too Sulberto but of course it would be so much better to finally win regularly in the prem. Beginning to give up hope i'll ever see that again though!

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Ok but Luiz being dropped and Nakamba being bombed out are managerial issues which can easily be reversed.

At the end of the day I'm just not seeing this "weaker than last season by some stretch" stuff. If anything the squad is slightly stronger.

Well if Luiz gets sold today that's obviously not reversible and if we sign nobody to replace him then we'll have to hope Nakamba is quite forgiving lol! All if's & buts of course. 

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It's of course possible that our squad has marginally improved in absolute terms while becoming much worse in relative terms if all our rivals have strengthened by a lot more than us.