Brisbane Roar vs Villa - Wed 20th July 10.45am

ender4

Not sure this can be seen as much more than a fitness exercise to be honest. 

I got a friend who lives in Brisbane, but she lived up near Townsville for a few years. When I told her Villa were up there she replied 'good luck playing footy in that humidity, even on a cool day it is stifling' 

But a win is a win and 3 games without a goal conceded is decent. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Is it not the kitmans job to prepare the boots for the players

Of course it’s not that was a joke, but someone in the coaching staff should be noting that we’ve been slipping a lot and take a closer look at stud choice

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I agree with pretty much everything but Bailey still looks poor and totally out of his element and Luiz and Mcginn aren't that bad. How do they get bagged but Bailey will be useful?

Bailey has had two reasonable outings (no one was glorious today), but he looks hungry and wanting to make up for last seasons false start. His outing vs Leeds I thought was very bright and he was unfortunate not to score.

McGinn looks like a one speed one trick pony at present, he charges around hunkered over, elbows and arse out, he doesnt seems to be able to demonstrate an intelligent footballing brain which he clearly possesses as he has international success and results. I dont know what’s gone wrong. I saw one decent attempted threaded through ball into the box but other than that he just doesnt seem to be stepping up to a more commanding foil to Kamara that I thought he would.

Luiz has been with us 3 seasons, admittedly played out of position. He is neat and tidy, for me possibly offer slightly more than McGinn technically but not convinced he is of the standard that we need and aspire to given we want to compete at the very top end of the table.

I am not saying sell them, I just think we improve by upgrading that CM role.

• Like 1

The pitch was shocking and no surprises our players were slipping over and misplacing passes throughout the match.

Another good run out against a team determined to not let us score by defending very deeply but we still created chances.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ender4 said:

or play both and drop one of Ings or Watkins?

Agree Buendia & Coutinho can play together. You can even play one of Emi or Phil them a little deeper if needed. They are both just amazing creative players.

If the pair of them cant unlock a low block defense then we need to coach better. Both of those players are amazing creators most Premier league teams would love to have.

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Studs 

The pitch side guy said at one point it pissed it down there yesterday but the pitch is really hard, as a result the top surface is churning up

Its definitley a weird occurance for us though, we keep getting it wrong 

I can confirm after consulting Graeme Souness that it was the wrong type of grass.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, jim said:

Good to see some are wetting the bed over a friendly.

It wouldn't be VillaTalk otherwise.

• Like 2

I thought Archer took his goal well. He has that natural goal scoring ability, and, lbh, that's something Watkins doesn't possess. What Archer doesn't have, that Watkins does, is that all round awareness, which was very evident when he should have laid the simple ball back to Watkins instead of trying to do too much and thinking more for himself rather than the team, but he looks like a lad  who wants to learn and whose very confident in his own ability and I really hope he gets the chance to impress with us when the season starts.

I just have a feeling he could become something really special. I mean,, that goal he scored against Chelsea in the League cup last season, Gray and Withe must have really enjoyed watching that one.

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Just saw the highlights. Why on earth are we playing pre season games on absolute shit heap pitches.

Rugby country. Pitch in Perth should be much better.

Â