Gompedyret

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it was one of the various Sherlock Holmes things that said that if you rule out all of the possibilities that you can, what you're left with, no matter how unlikely it might seem will be the truth of the matter.

Therefore, having seen him a couple of times now, I can declare as fact that Rory Wilson lives half a second in the future.

He's not the finest technical footballer in the side, not the biggest, not the quickest - but he has movement and anticipation on a level that's almost a superpower. When everyone else is watching, Rory is moving, if it's an instinct it's extraordinary, if it's learned then it should be patented, it's amazing. I watched him in the second half at times, peeling off a defender for a ball that the midfielder hadn't thought of yet, closing down a keeper before the defender had realised there had been a shot, moving into spaces that weren't there until he arrived. Rory isn't the quickest over six yards, but he wins because he has a two yard head start - every single time - you don't know how he got it but he did.

Rory Wilson lives half a second in the future.

you don't have to be the quickest in body, if you have it in mind.

• Like 1

Watching the live stream his first goal looked like it could have been a fluke, but watching the highlights and they show a close up of the goal and looks like he meant it, as you see him look up to see where the keeper is and you can see that he intentionally chipped the ball with the outside of his right boot, wasn't a miss hit, and hitting the ball the way he did from the angle he was at there's nothing he could have been trying to do other than chipping the keeper with the outside of his right boot.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, useless said:

Watching the live stream his first goal looked like it could have been a fluke, but watching the highlights and they show a close up of the goal and looks like he meant it, as you see him look up to see where the keeper is and you can see that he intentionally chipped the ball with the outside of his right boot, wasn't a miss hit, and hitting the ball the way he did from the angle he was at there's nothing he could have been trying to do other than chipping the keeper with the outside of his right boot.

Yep, it was hard to tell for sure watching live, but the thing you don't see on the replay is the slice he's put on it with the outside of his foot - the ball has curled inside the post as well as being lofted over the keeper. His reaction was absolutely one of having meant it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Just watched the highlights. That first goal is a thing of beauty. This kid looks excellent. And only 16. Gonna be a good one.

And noted son of Stefan Moore playing? Can that be correct? Were the Moore brothers really that long ago?

Made his debut 20 years ago and is 39 now

• Like 1

Wilson looks like a real talent though, follows in when others shoot, gambles positionally, has that knack of having 2-3 yards in his mind so gets away without being lightning quick, a lot to like. Will be interesting to see how he progresses. 

4 minutes ago, burchy said:

Wilson looks like a real talent though, follows in when others shoot, gambles positionally, has that knack of having 2-3 yards in his mind so gets away without being lightning quick, a lot to like. Will be interesting to see how he progresses. 

Harry Kane-esque. Lets hope he becomes as good!

6 hours ago, Lupinthe5th said:

He's already played 2 times for the Scottish U21 side which is impressive for one at 16.
They have some good players coming through Scotland with Ben Doak at Liverpool and Simpson, Wilson and Kerr at Villa. 

That’s excellent news. Most good Villa teams in the past have had a good smattering of Scots. It must be the ghost of William McGregor still smiling down on us. 

• Like 1

On 09/12/2022 at 22:40, OutByEaster? said:

I think it was one of the various Sherlock Holmes things that said that if you rule out all of the possibilities that you can, what you're left with, no matter how unlikely it might seem will be the truth of the matter.

Therefore, having seen him a couple of times now, I can declare as fact that Rory Wilson lives half a second in the future.

He's not the finest technical footballer in the side, not the biggest, not the quickest - but he has movement and anticipation on a level that's almost a superpower. When everyone else is watching, Rory is moving, if it's an instinct it's extraordinary, if it's learned then it should be patented, it's amazing. I watched him in the second half at times, peeling off a defender for a ball that the midfielder hadn't thought of yet, closing down a keeper before the defender had realised there had been a shot, moving into spaces that weren't there until he arrived. Rory isn't the quickest over six yards, but he wins because he has a two yard head start - every single time - you don't know how he got it but he did.

If he is scoring 50 goals a season and he isnt particularly fast or particularly big then we have a massive talent on our hands.

Robbie Fowler regen will do for me . He had the knack from a young age without ever being quick or big. 

• Like 1

On 09/12/2022 at 22:40, OutByEaster? said:

He reminds me of James Collins.

Don't remember seeing Collins at all until he was 18 or 19. So Wilson must be ahead of him at the moment.

On 10/12/2022 at 00:21, TRO said:

you don't have to be the quickest in body, if you have it in mind.

Sid wasn't the quickest, but his ability to see a pass that no one else could was on another level. Same with Hoddle. Perfect examples of your comment. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MaVilla said:

it was good, but i would bet money that it was a cross.

doesnt matter tho, went in all the same.

I thought the same, but watching the highlights he seems to first look up into the box and then have a second look at the keeper before shooting.  I'm still not 100% convinced, but I think he saw no-one in the box and just went for a cheeky chip.

Â