Gompedyret

1 minute ago, useless said:

Has scored five goals in his first two games of the season

Awesome, was looking forward to hearing more about him this season as he had arrived with big expectations after hearing so many good things about him before he signed

• 1 month later...

Two first half goals today against West Brom U18's - we're 3-1 up against 10 men at the break and he's showing just how lethal he is.

In terms of why he's still with the U18's - I means there's the obvious about his age - and I don't mean that flippantly, he's not Wayne Rooney, he's a seventeen year old in a seventeen year old's body - he's played a couple of games for the U21's and I think we'll see him play more, but he's fine at the moment where he is and developing well.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

4 shots 4 goals yesterday.  Could have had 5 but Jimoh took the 2nd penalty for some reason. 

Probably only practiced 1 penalty before the game.

Edit: I'm serious. Lots of strikers practice only one penalty for a week before the game. He might not have practiced a 2nd so someone else took. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Haha 1

On 23/09/2023 at 13:52, OutByEaster? said:

Two first half goals today against West Brom U18's - we're 3-1 up against 10 men at the break and he's showing just how lethal he is.

In terms of why he's still with the U18's - I means there's the obvious about his age - and I don't mean that flippantly, he's not Wayne Rooney, he's a seventeen year old in a seventeen year old's body - he's played a couple of games for the U21's and I think we'll see him play more, but he's fine at the moment where he is and developing well.

Thanks - I've not really seen him play yet. The reason I asked was that there was a big statement about players of that sort of age playing for the U21s and he arrived to us with a lot of hype behind him, plus he seems to have been scoring for fun lately.

9 hours ago, lexicon said:

Thanks - I've not really seen him play yet. The reason I asked was that there was a big statement about players of that sort of age playing for the U21s and he arrived to us with a lot of hype behind him, plus he seems to have been scoring for fun lately.

I think that was Purslow speaking in general about playing up age groups. He is a 17 year old Alan Shearer without the strength yet Thats what he is . Not particularly skillful . Not that quick. But always in the right place at the right time. Scary how good he reads the play so he is in position to score. Thats why he  scores lots of doubles and hatricks. Its not him with an immense piece of skill to beat the opposition. Its him just being in the right position. Which he can do time and time again to get his goals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/09/2023 at 20:15, MWARLEY2 said:

I think that was Purslow speaking in general about playing up age groups. He is a 17 year old Alan Shearer without the strength yet Thats what he is . Not particularly skillful . Not that quick. But always in the right place at the right time. Scary how good he reads the play so he is in position to score. Thats why he  scores lots of doubles and hatricks. Its not him with an immense piece of skill to beat the opposition. Its him just being in the right position. Which he can do time and time again to get his goals.

The list is endless of goalscorers who weren't necessarily skilful. Lineker and Clive Allen are two that stand out for me.

• Like 1

All academy players this season with a few exceptions, Triston Rowe, Broggio, Omari Kellyman and Fortes, have been playing within their age group, even the ones that were playing an group or two up last season, so it's not just Wilson, I think it's just a policy to start the season that way and as we go on and get closer to Christmas we will probably start seeing the likes of Wilson, Lynch, Jimoh, and so on move up to the 21s, and likes of Haywood, Lynskey and Burgess and other U16s go back up to the 18s, as season goes on will probably even see some U15s playing for the U18s as some of them already have been doing in behind closed door games, I think playing players an age up if good enough is still very much a policy.

Worth remembering that Wilson has actually played quite a bit of U21 football for his age and has done well too, four goals and an assist in seven appearances last season when he was still only seventeen and a first year scholar, so it's not as if he hasn't been given a chance at that level or that he hasn't done well at that level, the club knows he's capable, and most of our better players are with the 18s at the moment, so it's not as if he's playing in a poor team.

On his playing style, he's not going to dribble the ball past a load of players but he's technically very good, more than just a goal poacher, scores all types of goals and is dangerous anywhere in and around the penalty box, he's also pretty good at holding the ball up as well, rarely loses it despite him being quite frail, him being relatively frail might be another reason why we're managing his game time between the 18s and 21s.

• Like 2

On 28/09/2023 at 00:29, useless said:

All academy players this season with a few exceptions, Triston Rowe, Broggio, Omari Kellyman and Fortes, have been playing within their age group, even the ones that were playing an group or two up last season, so it's not just Wilson, I think it's just a policy to start the season that way and as we go on and get closer to Christmas we will probably start seeing the likes of Wilson, Lynch, Jimoh, and so on move up to the 21s, and likes of Haywood, Lynskey and Burgess and other U16s go back up to the 18s, as season goes on will probably even see some U15s playing for the U18s as some of them already have been doing in behind closed door games, I think playing players an age up if good enough is still very much a policy.

Worth remembering that Wilson has actually played quite a bit of U21 football for his age and has done well too, four goals and an assist in seven appearances last season when he was still only seventeen and a first year scholar, so it's not as if he hasn't been given a chance at that level or that he hasn't done well at that level, the club knows he's capable, and most of our better players are with the 18s at the moment, so it's not as if he's playing in a poor team.

On his playing style, he's not going to dribble the ball past a load of players but he's technically very good, more than just a goal poacher, scores all types of goals and is dangerous anywhere in and around the penalty box, he's also pretty good at holding the ball up as well, rarely loses it despite him being quite frail, him being relatively frail might be another reason why we're managing his game time between the 18s and 21s.

frail?

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Realistically, how far off is he from getting a first team chance? 2 years? 3?

i guess he really needs to step up to the u21s and do well, then prob needs a good loan and to do well there also.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/10/2023 at 17:23, MaVilla said:

i guess he really needs to step up to the u21s and do well, then prob needs a good loan and to do well there also.

And then he will be sold off with a buyback clause 😝

Â