Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

The miss was bad, but it wasn't the worst you'll ever see. He got mixed up on which foot to use. What makes it so bad was that he practically pushed Ollie out of the way to claim the goal. Fine, if you're going to do that, you need to at least know which foot you're going to score with.

Which was pretty much what Ollie yelled at him straight after. 

5 hours ago, andyjsg said:

Man of the match in some of our best performances in quarter of a century no less

Hopefully that means someone will stump up and pay us for him.

Unai’s mantra is consistency. Carlos just isn’t consistent at all. Credit to him for the Arsenal game in particular, but he is so erratic. Lots of his passes forward are over hit, he either gets too close and fouls an opponent or is 1 second too slow to follow an attacker’s movement. He gets turned very easily and for a big guy doesn’t always use his strength as well as he could do. I really hope we upgrade him for a younger and cheaper alternative. 

I must admit I actually LOVE Diego Carlos Santos Silva.

Yes he has some dodgy moments but don't all defenders at times? More often than not he's immense, quick decisive, strong on the ball and his passing is excellent; third highest of any Villa player.

I hope he stays next season, we will need him.

Flying into the 6 yard box, shoving Watkins out the way. I'm not sure what he was thinking doing that, but it definitely wasn't thinking like a striker.

Ollie knew where he needed to be to be able to get a shot off if its pulled back or slide it in if it was drilled across. Carlos not being a striker let the blood rush to his head and ran forward with no thought as to how he'd handle the ball if it was fizzed in. 

I'm sure he'll feel pretty bad about preventing Watkins' 20th goal, but hopefully he can make up for it against Palace.

On the list of players to sell, I'd have him towards the bottom, but definitely on it. I think we should cash in as he seems injury prone and won't be getting any better between now and retirement.

7 hours ago, useless said:

The miss was bad but nowhere near as bad as some are making out, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the Ronny Rosenthal miss for example as was suggested, ball came across him at speed and he missed open goal, that kind of miss is actually quite common which is why it will be forgotten about unlike Rosenthal miss which had the ball under his control, all the time, and an open net to shoot into but still missed.

Also Watkins probably should have scored it after Carlos missed it

You can’t blame Ollie, Diego pushed him out of position and his failed touch took the ball away from him. It’s all on Diego. 

I didn't blame anyone, I just said Watkins should have scored, also the idea that Carlos pushed him out of the way is an exaggeration, makes it sound a lot worse than it actually was, I don't think Carlos even realized it was Watkins or even a Villa player, he didn't actually look, I think he was just trying to get to the ball ahead of what he presumed was a Liverpool defender

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, useless said:

I didn't blame anyone, I just said Watkins should have scored, also the idea that Carlos pushed him out of the way is an exaggeration, makes it sound a lot worse than it actually was, I don't think Carlos even realized it was Watkins or even a Villa player, he didn't actually look, I think he was just trying to get to the ball ahead of what he presumed was a Liverpool defender

100% - he only had eyes for the ball and was doing all he could to score. He **** up, sure, but so did Salah with an easy chance - it can happen. 

I haven’t seen the first half nor his chance, but he’s a defender after all and can’t be judged at goal scored.

I think if he had started in home leg semi final we wouldn’t have lost. He’s the only player that have the strength of Mings, so he have an attribute which we need at certain games. 
He isn’t bad at building play, but he’s prone to some silly mistakes which he can stop to make by a bit of more focus.

I’d be happy to have him here next season, as Konsa is our only right footed CB, but if he’s going for good money then I’m ok with it as he’s old and on big wages. But we’d have to get someone in that case. 

In terms of transfer fee plus wages (30m plus 100k+) he must be up there for one of our worst value signing in recent times? 

at least Crespo was shite and cheap 

Posted (edited)

West Ham might be interested to replace Zouma.

Lopetegui wanted him at Wolves.

Get it done Monchi.

Edited by AshVilla

How we ever spent £30m on this guy I have no idea, thanks Gerrard. He seemed to do well at Sevilla, but whenever he has played for us we have shipped goal after goal after goal. We need to move him on this summer, he's 31 so isn't going to suddenly come good for us.

Emery bought Saliba in 2019 for a similar price to what we paid for Carlos, he needs to find someone similar for us because we literally have no one who can defend other than a player coming back from long term injury.

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

In terms of transfer fee plus wages (30m plus 100k+) he must be up there for one of our worst value signing in recent times? 

at least Crespo was shite and cheap 

Well a horror injury at the very start wasn't ideal for him so he has done well to recover. If we somehow could get a fee for him I'd be happy enough to see him go but if not then he should only be a bench/ league cup player next season.

• Like 1

He's OK for backup if he's got Emi in goal or is alongside Pau but with Olsen and Lenglet, there's nobody to marshall the defence. Was always going to be a shitshow today. If we can get a decent price for him, I'd sell. 

• Like 1

If we got anywhere near what we paid for him, I’d shift him on, as pau, konsa and Mings will be ahead of him next season I’d imagine 

Â