Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

I think we might try and sell him in the summer if we can get a decent price so that we don’t make a loss.

He’s 30 years old and whilst decent isn’t going to improve at his age.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

I think we might try and sell him in the summer of we can get a decent price.  He’s 30 years old and whilst decent isn’t going to improve at his age.

Actually 31 now.

He doesn't seem very intelligent. Prone to lapses of concentration regularly.  Also he isn't as strong as his physique suggests. If we have a decent offer for him over £20m I would think he's replaceable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beasley14 said:

Personally I'd have headed it back as the keeper could have retreated back into the box and dived on the ball.  Chelsea players probably would have stop chasing after the header.

He would have if Olsen hadn’t ran out. Made him change his mind and **** it up. Poor by Carlos but keeper didn’t help.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He would have if Olsen hadn’t ran out. Made him change his mind and **** it up. Poor by Carlos but keeper didn’t help.

Still think Olsen would have got back to pick it up! 

Imagine if he pulled that sh*t with Ron Saunders or Brian Clough as manager. 

They'd have decked him as soon as he entered the dressing room and deservedly so. 

Despite the reputation, even McGrath wasn't totally infallible.  Matt Le Tissier had him on toast more than once. But the dragbacks, flicks and party tricks only came out when he was in total control. 

This bloke doesn't seem to have game awareness or general cop on to execute that stuff at the right time. 

Get rid. 

• Like 1

Terrible isn't enough to describe that decision making. The attackers were just about to give up and were nowhere close to Carlos anyway. Horrid play from him.

That clearance was a howler, but I think we should remember that he’s generally played a decent part this season in a team that is going to finish 4th/5th.

This season was also his return from a pretty major injury, and our back 4 has changed a lot all season because of injuries etc.

I wouldn’t be too upset if he moved on this summer, but I also think if he stays then he’s a decent squad player and we might struggle to do better than him as a backup. 

Pau / Mings (assuming he comes back strong) / Konsa / Carlos and one more should be enough to cover to centreback places next season. Depending on the quality of the “one more”, Carlos may be 5th choice, and I think if he ends up being our 5th choice then we are in pretty good shape!

• Thanks 1

I think he's averaging about one good game in 24/25.

That's Charles N'Zogbia levels. 

You can carry a mercurial winger.  Can't really get away with that for a GK or centre half. 

Edited by HolteExile
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

That clearance was a howler, but I think we should remember that he’s generally played a decent part this season in a team that is going to finish 4th/5th.

This season was also his return from a pretty major injury, and our back 4 has changed a lot all season because of injuries etc.

I wouldn’t be too upset if he moved on this summer, but I also think if he stays then he’s a decent squad player and we might struggle to do better than him as a backup. 

Pau / Mings (assuming he comes back strong) / Konsa / Carlos and one more should be enough to cover to centreback places next season. Depending on the quality of the “one more”, Carlos may be 5th choice, and I think if he ends up being our 5th choice then we are in pretty good shape!

Feel like replying to most of the threads in this forum with words to this effect. Memories are very short on here sometimes.

He’s played enough games this season in a top 4 side that he must be doing something right.

I do agree with others that on the eye test it often looks like there’s limited brain power going into some of those decisions, and his physique often seems to have more cosmetic than practical value.

But Emery wouldn’t keep starting him if he was as bad as some on here are claiming. I think he’s pretty solid for a 3rd choice CB at this stage in our development.

The problem position is RB not CB.

2 hours ago, HolteExile said:

Imagine if he pulled that sh*t with Ron Saunders or Brian Clough as manager. 

They'd have decked him as soon as he entered the dressing room and deservedly so. 

Despite the reputation, even McGrath wasn't totally infallible.  Matt Le Tissier had him on toast more than once. But the dragbacks, flicks and party tricks only came out when he was in total control. 

This bloke doesn't seem to have game awareness or general cop on to execute that stuff at the right time. 

Get rid. 

2 hours ago, HolteExile said:

I think he's averaging about one good game in 24/25.

That's Charles N'Zogbia levels. 

You can carry a mercurial winger.  Can't really get away with that for a GK or centre half. 

Gone way too over the top here. One good game every 25? Nah, ridiculous exaggeration.

• Like 1

Could AC Milan afford his wages and a decent transfer fee? 

No idea how much money is in Italy now though you'd think they'd have most of it. 

On 28/04/2024 at 13:49, ender4 said:

I think we might try and sell him in the summer if we can get a decent price so that we don’t make a loss.

He’s 30 years old and whilst decent isn’t going to improve at his age.

Milan are supposedly interested, i'd include him in a swap deal for Tomori.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/ac-milan/transfer-talk/news/ac-milan-lining-up-move-for-aston-villa-man_542486.html

AC Milan have reportedly shortlisted an Aston Villa player as a potential defensive target for the summer transfer window.

All things considered, Milan have enjoyed a respectable 2023-24 campaign, notably sitting in second position in the Serie A standings.

However, while their performance in the league will again deliver Champions League football, sitting 19 points adrift of champions Inter Milan will reportedly have ramifications.

Last week, it was claimed that the Milan board are ready to part ways with long-serving head coach Stefano Pioli in a bid to close the gap to their neighbours.

As well as opting for a fresh approach from the dugout, the likelihood is that different options will be acquired for a number of positions in the squad.

https://football-italia.net/milan-start-negotiations-aston-villa/

Milan director Geoffrey Moncada has opened direct talks with Aston Villa defender Diego Carlos ahead of the summer transfer window.

The Rossoneri have struggled with cover in defence for large parts of this season, an issue that’ll again be present in their upcoming clash with Juventus. As such, a new centre back is one of many reinforcements set to arrive in the summer.

The Rossoneri appreciate the 31-year-old’s leadership skills, experience, strong aerial ability and strong man-marking. The Villans aren’t keen to give up the defender for cheap, having spent €31m to sign him from Sevilla back in July 2022.

On 28/04/2024 at 13:47, The Fun Factory said:

Seems to be either a beast or a carthorse. I can't work the guy out.

centaur.jpg

• Haha 2

Â