Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

https://theathletic.com/news/aston-villa-diego-carlos-transfer/4hWLfTmlzy5q/

Aston Villa are exploring the possibility of signing Sevilla centre-back Diego Carlos in the summer transfer window, The Athletic has learned.

Villa manager Steven Gerrard is looking to strengthen his defensive options and Carlos is thought to be among those under consideration.

Expensive deal to complete. I assume Tarkowski is first choice as he wants his future sorted in next week or two before he goes on holiday. So if we fail to get him we look at other options. Diego Carlos is a fantastic player but will cost us £30m+ 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Expensive deal to complete. I assume Tarkowski is first choice as he wants his future sorted in next week or two before he goes on holiday. So if we fail to get him we look at other options. Diego Carlos is a fantastic player but will cost us £30m+ 

i'd argue the other way around? if we're serious about carlos maybe we've made an inquiry, fee is currently too large, so we're looking into JT in case carlos doesn't happen

newcastle have been heavily linked with DC - be interesting to see what happens when we go head to head with them for a transfer

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

i'd argue the other way around? if we're serious about carlos maybe we've made an inquiry, fee is currently too large, so we're looking into JT in case carlos doesn't happen

newcastle have been heavily linked with DC - be interesting to see what happens when we go head to head with them for a transfer

I can't see given how we operate in convincing players about the project we are saying to JT we might want you, just give us more time to decide. We act with conviction when we go after players. 

14 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Botman has a much higher ceiling at only 22. Ideally i'd take Carlos and Botman.

Botman is seen as a relatively traditional CB, big strong solid defender so maybe his type is not that different from Tarkowski.  Carlos would add something more IMO in terms of playing ability. I agree Carlos and Botman would be ideal but getting both may be unrealistic.

10 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

of course lol

Was going to say, he's largely regarded as an excellent player but makes quite a noticeable amount of big errors at the same time. Think certain fans' heads would explode if you partnered him with Mings.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Anybody know why he’s never had a cap for Brazil?

Just seen that, it is indeed strange if he's as good as they say.  Only ever been capped at the Olympics.

13 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Anybody know why he’s never had a cap for Brazil?

He is a bit of a liability though did wind up United fans so maybe held against hom

Brazil arent exactly blessed with a lot of centre backs at the peak. Still had two 37 year olds in recent squads

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Just seen that, it is indeed strange if he's as good as they say.  Only ever been capped at the Olympics.

I’ve never heard anyone say he is that good,  I think a few on here just want so sing him based on his cool name and price tag, without actually knowing much about the player,  Lucas Dinge was deemed to old at the grand age of 28 when we signed him, but Diego Carlos at 29 is great business apparently.  

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I’ve never heard anyone say he is that good,  I think a few on here just want so sing him based on his cool name and price tag, without actually knowing much about the player,  Lucas Dinge was deemed to old at the grand age of 28 when we signed him, but Diego Carlos at 29 is great business apparently.  

And Brad Friedel was deemed an acceptable age when he was pushing 40, but no one wants to sign my cousin Steve to play in midfield. Typical double standards.

Â