Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

21 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Feel like replying to most of the threads in this forum with words to this effect. Memories are very short on here sometimes.

He’s played enough games this season in a top 4 side that he must be doing something right.

I do agree with others that on the eye test it often looks like there’s limited brain power going into some of those decisions, and his physique often seems to have more cosmetic than practical value.

But Emery wouldn’t keep starting him if he was as bad as some on here are claiming. I think he’s pretty solid for a 3rd choice CB at this stage in our development.

The problem position is RB not CB.

Get to the ground early, with your boots......you might get a game yourself.

I don't think he is at the level, for where we are going.....football IQ is suspect.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, TRO said:

Get to the ground early, with your boots......you might get a game yourself.

I don't think he is at the level, for where we are going.....football IQ is suspect.

Yes but against Man City at home and Arsenal twice he has been magnificent.  Definitely wouldn't sign Lenglet on a permanent deal but I believe Carlos can perform against the top sides

Problem is he plays great then gets dropped and that can't do much for his confidence. 

• Like 1

I know you're not going to like this @TRO but for me it's about wages again 😅. He's pretty much fine as a backup CB, but for the money he's supposedly on, I think we need to offload him in the summer and replace him with someone on a more reasonable, sustainable wage. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I know you're not going to like this @TRO but for me it's about wages again 😅. He's pretty much fine as a backup CB, but for the money he's supposedly on, I think we need to offload him in the summer and replace him with someone on a more reasonable, sustainable wage. 

If we signed someone on half his wage we'd still be paying out the same amount of money.

Diego Carlos must be on 100k a week, nobody is paying him anything about half that.

I think we probably just keep him around and wait for his deal to expire.

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

If we signed someone on half his wage we'd still be paying out the same amount of money.

Diego Carlos must be on 100k a week, nobody is paying him anything about half that.

I think we probably just keep him around and wait for his deal to expire.

Eh?

57 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Eh?

We will be paying the new guy 50k or whatever and we will be paying Diego 50k not to play for us.

I know things are great and all that thanks to Emery but our wage structure is ****.

7 hours ago, lexicon said:

why wasn't I going to like it ?.....I respect folks opinions.

I just don't want to busy myself, with other folks wages.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

We will be paying the new guy 50k or whatever and we will be paying Diego 50k not to play for us.

I know things are great and all that thanks to Emery but our wage structure is ****.

In this hypothetical scenario perhaps, but it's far from nailed on to be the case. 

28 minutes ago, TRO said:

why wasn't I going to like it ?.....I respect folks opinions.

I just don't want to busy myself, with other folks wages.

You just asked and answered your own question there 😅

• Haha 1

I think come next year he's going to be quite solidly 4th choice behind Pau, konsa and mings 

Id like us to pick up a say 19 year old developmental player (assuming kerr, swinkels and feeney won't happen) but shopping to replace a 4th choice CB is a waste of time and money 

• Like 1

Calum Chambers is an example of someone on lower wages. This isn't the answer. 

If we want to improve or maybe even sustain our position. We will need better players than we currently have. We won't get that by paying less than Carlos earns. 

Arsenal have Gabriel and Saliba, that's still not enough to win the league. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Arsenal have Gabriel and Saliba, that's still not enough to win the league. 

People were too busy laughing their tits off and screaming bottlers to look at what actually happened to arsenal last season, lack of depth killed them, especially at CB, even this year with timber effectively doing what mings has done we've got more depth in defence than they have 

Carlos is fine for the role that he will have next year

There's some sort of weird myth around the CL kicking out the idea that we need some sort of £50m+ International player as back up if we're going to cope vs Sparta Prague 

• Like 1

If Carlos wasn't 4th choice this season we'd have absolutely crumbled. Same goes for Lenglet being 5th choice. Our fantastic depth has led us to not being severely hampered by what was otherwise a very lengthy injury list. You don't ever want to be in a scenario where Chambers (or someone similar, not singling him out) is starting half a dozen games in a row or more, just to save a hypothetical 50k a year on wages. I'm sure the difference between finishing 4th and 8th more than makes up for the difference.

• Like 2

In fairness to Diego, he's had a couple of exceptional performances as well as some mares.

Players who aren't getting consistent football will blow hot and cold.

• Like 4

Carlos has been very good squad player and done well when needed. Especially as it's his first season in the PL and he was overcoming a season long injury. 

Personally I think our best lineup is to use Pau in LB and play with Mings and Konsa in CB and have an attacking RB. However that doesn't work too well with Bailey in RM so prob one for when he's an impact sub.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In fairness to Diego, he's had a couple of exceptional performances as well as some mares.

Players who aren't getting consistent football will blow hot and cold.

Villa players called Carlos will blow hot and cold. Remember Carlos Sanchez & Carles Gil(close enough)?! They were the same.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

People were too busy laughing their tits off and screaming bottlers to look at what actually happened to arsenal last season, lack of depth killed them, especially at CB, even this year with timber effectively doing what mings has done we've got more depth in defence than they have 

Carlos is fine for the role that he will have next year

There's some sort of weird myth around the CL kicking out the idea that we need some sort of £50m+ International player as back up if we're going to cope vs Sparta Prague 

Our squad has saved us this year, people shouldn't try and dismantle it. 

Carlos cost us 30m and big wages, you are taking a loss if you sell him and likely paying wages. 

Prefer he stays and we strengthen. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, lexicon said:

You just asked and answered your own question there 😅

No I didn't.

I have my opinion, but respect yours.😄

12 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Villa players called Carlos will blow hot and cold. Remember Carlos Sanchez & Carles Gil(close enough)?! They were the same.

Carlos Cueller used to the drop the odd bollock as well.

1 hour ago, villanmac said:

Carlos Cueller used to the drop the odd bollock as well.

They should all have goofy teeth and curly hair too 😂

Â