Season 22/23 Target League Position

nick76

The poll  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What league position should we be aiming for?

2. 2. What is the lowest acceptable position?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/22 at 23:00

21 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Newcastle have one of the worst squads in the league minus Bruno.  That was an absolutely freakish set of results they achieved in the second half of the season.  

The despotic regime bounce.

Stay up or Die approach has worked

On 26/05/2022 at 02:46, FLVillan said:

We really need Arsenal to get relegated so we can start a season in first.  And make certain that Aldershot and Accrington don't move up the divisions.... 

And AFC Bournemouth? And impose a ban on other clubs (like AFC Wimbledon) sticking AFC on the start of their name.

• Like 1

Hard for me to definitively say anything until window is over 

Slightly OT, I can see a pendulum swing of power resembling older days/seasons 

Us, Everton, West Ham, Newcastle battling it out for top 8.

I don't think Everton will be bad next season, and Newcastle sutuation speaks for itself.

If we sign Suarez, Bissouma, Bassey and even more, the owners will want European football next year. Massive e pressure on Gerrard and also CP and Lange.

66% believe 9-12 acceptable really surprising

We're out spending most teams in the league year on year. We already have a top 8 wage bill that will only get higher.

We dont get top 8 about half a dozen people should be losing their jobs.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

We're out spending most teams in the league year on year. We already have a top 8 wage bill that will only get higher.

Sure somebody has voted relegation as an acceptable position :D 

On 25/05/2022 at 22:48, AshVilla said:

Amazed so many think 9-12 is acceptable.

To be fair,  I think minimum acceptable is 10th... but that wasn't an option. 

Imagine a few others felt the same.

With who we've signed already, if we add Bissouma to that,  and another first team player anywhere else on the pitch,  I think top 8 is the minimum the board will be expecting. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MrBlack said:

To be fair,  I think minimum acceptable is 10th... but that wasn't an option. 

Yeah, the options I would have gone for would be more like -

6th or above

7-8th

9-10th

11-12th

13th or below

Anything from 6th or above would obviously be considered a success. Likewise 13th or below would be viewed as dismal. Therefore you can have a bit more nuance in the 7th-12th region.

12 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Do the other teams just disappear though? We've had a lot of catching up to do over the last few years. I definitely hope for top 8 but the only obvious teams for us to be competing with are Leicester and West Ham out of the top 8 this year, and they're teams that have been building well over a long period of time—time when we were in the Championship/fighing to stay up. We've had just two seasons of Premier League building.

Even suggesting we're spending more than anyone else year on year is a bit of a dubious statement. Season 1: when we were promoted, we had to buy a whole new team. Season 2: we added to a team that scraped through survival on goal difference and can't imagine we spent that much more than other teams anyway. Season 3: we lost an apparently '£100million player' and spent really badly and misbalanced the squad—we started last season with El Ghazi on the right wing and Ashley Young on the left wing. Last summer's transfer window/losing Grealish pretty much knocked the club back a year and cost Smith his job.

We want to progress and hopefully we will, but it's a bit more complicated than just saying we 'have a top 8 wage bill'.

I'd say 9th at the lowest though, and that would be disappointing. But the fact is the Premier League is a competitive league and there are a lot of good teams building wisely.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

Just looking at a the table, it's going to be about who we are competing with. SKy6 will probably claim 6 positions in top 6-7, I don't think we'll overtake any of these. ManU will not have a season like last, Chelsea with their new owner will probably invest, the others will probably be around the same level.

From all the teams we have between us and 7th, I think we can/should overtake Brighton, Palace and Brentford. Wolves, Leicester and West Ham are more established sides than us, they might drop off a bit, but we can't be sure before the end of the transfer window (eg: what if WHam lose Bowen or Rice, what if Leicester lose Thielemans). Newcastle will probably spend big. Everton will not have a season like what they just had, but I don't expect them too high either.

Top 10 should be the aim, anything higher would be a good season.

On 30/05/2022 at 21:51, rodders0223 said:

but then look at the head start everyone else had

and then where do you get 8th highest wage bill from? couple of places ive seen had us as 12th

its getting closer but we really have the 8th best squad in the league? id have us around 10th with then issues last season over form meaning where our squad is on paper was meaningless

either way top 8 is far from a given, we would need a year of everyone at it, not many injuries, good form, good reaction to the WC break, a couple more signings, the likes of west ham, wolves and leicester to decline slightly 

• Like 1

On 27/05/2022 at 16:15, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Hard for me to definitively say anything until window is over 

Slightly OT, I can see a pendulum swing of power resembling older days/seasons 

Us, Everton, West Ham, Newcastle battling it out for top 8.

I don't think Everton will be bad next season, and Newcastle sutuation speaks for itself.

Brighton, Wolves, and to a lesser extent Leceister have been overachieving last few years. Our budget 'should' get us top half- but you have to do it on the pitch over  38 games.

57 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

but then look at the head start everyone else had

and then where do you get 8th highest wage bill from? couple of places ive seen had us as 12th

its getting closer but we really have the 8th best squad in the league? id have us around 10th with then issues last season over form meaning where our squad is on paper was meaningless

either way top 8 is far from a given, we would need a year of everyone at it, not many injuries, good form, good reaction to the WC break, a couple more signings, the likes of west ham, wolves and leicester to decline slightly 

We need to really stop with this head start and catch up nonsense now. In terms of outgoings we are going for it big time.

• Like 1

Â