Season 22/23 Target League Position

nick76

The poll  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What league position should we be aiming for?

2. 2. What is the lowest acceptable position?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/22 at 23:00

15 hours ago, ender4 said:

But even with our current squad, being more settled, a proper pre-season, a settled manager, I’d expect us to be much better in the new season and being 9-10th.  All we had to do this season was beat Watford twice to be 10th.

All we needed to be 10th today would be to beat them once. Beat them twice and we’d be 8th. (Which supports your point).

I said target 5-8 and acceptable 9-12 in the poll - not totally accurate as I’d be happy-ish with 9th and see 12th as a bit disappointing, but top half has to be the basic target with Europe the ambition.

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i did vote and we obviously should be aiming for top half as a minimum

but i really want a cup run. i want to go back to wembley. it's been too long and actually a very realistic route for a team like us to get into europe

I want a cup run too but it’s only been two seasons since we were at Wembley in a cup final to be fair - most teams have waited a lot longer!

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'll have an excuse straight away - other teams in the league will also be splashing big money 

Expected performance based on spending when only looking at villas spending is dodgy ground imo 

Let's see what West ham, wolves, Leicester and obviously Newcastle do this summer too

And all of those clubs will view their season as a failure if they aren't top half and pushing for the European places - we should too

• Like 3

Season-long push for top 6, like every season. If West Ham can go from relegation worried also-rans to top 6 chasers from one season to the next why can't we (That's not a question, hence no question mark).

• Like 1

Top half at a minimum, or else Gerrard goes I think.

I'd like us to play with consistency and a clear identity, and like most people I think a push for Europe is totally feasible - if we don't quite make it that's fine but we should be in the picture, and we should be able to sustain at least one cup run too.

I think we've got to be going for top 6 but 8th place will be good progress for us. Hammers can finish top 6 today with a win and if man united lose and they are 11 points ahead of us.

this season we weren't able to get many draws, we mainly had wins or losses. a few draws in there could give you an extra 5-6 points, convert some of the "easy on paper" losses/draws into wins (watford, brentford, leeds) and we aren't that far off.

I think with a bit more composure in games and having a bit more of a killer instinct would see us much higher up the table tbh.

Edited by Villatillidie95

2 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I want a cup run too but it’s only been two seasons since we were at Wembley in a cup final to be fair - most teams have waited a lot longer!

yep...too long! i miss our annual trips there 😂

35 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Only four weeks until fixtures for next seasons games come out

Guranteed we get a newly promted side away or chelsea away 1st game

It’s got Liverpool or City away written all over it to destroy all summer optimism in an afternoon hasn’t it. 

52 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Only four weeks until fixtures for next seasons games come out

Guranteed we get a newly promted side away or chelsea away 1st game

If we’re lucky Chelsea could be in turmoil. I’d prefer to begin with a couple of difficult games, imo it’s worse to start the season with a series of must-wins.

It has to be top eight or higher.

A solid pre-season, players in early to acclimatise will help as too would not losing our best player.

If the fixtures are kind to us early on I think we could have a good season.

Slip-ups against newly promoted teams should be avoided, and hopefully a few scalps along the way would be good too!

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

If we’re lucky Chelsea could be in turmoil. I’d prefer to begin with a couple of difficult games, imo it’s worse to start the season with a series of must-wins.

Id be happy with chelsea away 1st game or city away. Get these out the way early

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If we had a striker who could finish, I think we would have been top 8 this season.

True. 

If we hadn't suffered 2x 3-2 collapses we'd have been 9th!

Fine margins. 

Â