Season 22/23 Target League Position

nick76

The poll  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What league position should we be aiming for?

2. 2. What is the lowest acceptable position?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/22 at 23:00

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

We need to really stop with this head start and catch up nonsense now. In terms of outgoings we are going for it big time.

Yeah, it’s all about wages.  Annual wages paid is the biggest indicator of final league position.  We’ll probably be up to 10th in annual wages paid this season (12th last season) so I assume you’ll be happy if we over-achieve with 9th place?

On 27/05/2022 at 08:58, Farlz said:

I'd just like us to achieve 10th for the first time in over a decade before even contemplating the thought of pushing for Europe. 

You're hope for next season is..... 10th!?

Push for top 7 / Europe, like every season.

5 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

If we don't make Europe this season then we will start losing our world class players like Martinez and Coutinho. 

We can soften a no-Europe blow with a cup win. We have to view both cups as winnable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Based on the team today, 1 June...anything below 9th is a failure.

Still a couple of starting XI players light of saying that 9th is a failure.  IMO we need another midfielder so that we aren't 1 injury away from McGinn, Luiz and JJ being our best midfield.  And I personally think we need a striker who is better suited to ending up on the end of through balls from Emi2 and Couts.

However, I said at the end of the season that I thought we were 3 or ideally 4 players light and the first two signings look to be excellent.  So I am hoping that there is still positive news to come on the recruitment front, that we get a proper pre-season in this year, that we don't lose any of our key players to injury at the start of the season (or for chunks of it) and that we can get in some good early performances and build up some confidence / morale.  If so then I'll be a lot more confident about being equipped to finish 5 places higher than we did this season (especially as I think that we'll need more points to finish 9th next season than we would have this season).

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

As it stands having lost Beale I would be happy to survive.

We need to replace him in my view. Why does this always happen to Villa?!

Relegation fight without Beale/or a replacement. If Beale did all the speaking and training sessions and tactics, whos going to replace him?

12 hours ago, messi11 said:

Relegation fight without Beale/or a replacement. If Beale did all the speaking and training sessions and tactics, whos going to replace him?

Yes this could be a problem. We should stop hiring mute coaches. If the players could just learn Scouse we’ll be fine. They all managed to pick up cockney ok. 

• Like 1

Wolves supporting work colleague thinks they might struggle next season or at least slip a few places down the table. Says the players don’t seem to have confidence in Lage, and is not convinced the owners will invest (something to do with the Chinese govt). I think we can overtake them, Brentford, Brighton (who will lose Cucurella but probably have some equally talented replacement). I can see West Ham dropping off slightly, but they will finish above us again.Arsenal and United will still be there or thereabouts of the Europa league places. 

Heart wants to say European places, head says 9-11th. Cups are indeed the best bet for any joy. Even then, it’s hard to see anyone outside the top 4 winning them.

15 hours ago, messi11 said:

Update: We will stuggle without Beale. Anything above 14th is a decent season

We're spending 100m a season on incoming transfers. We have players coming in on 120k 150k . We can't replace a No.2?

Â