Season 22/23 Target League Position

nick76

The poll  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What league position should we be aiming for?

2. 2. What is the lowest acceptable position?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/22 at 23:00

Just now, foreveryoung said:

So if we don't get European football this 22/23 campaign, are we seeing it as a poor season. Even though we finished 14th this season, I doubt around 10th position will be seen as real progress.

It would be amazing to get European football, but don’t believe this season is resting on it. Top half and a good cup run would be satisfactory to most fans and the board

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

It would be amazing to get European football, but don’t believe this season is resting on it. Top half and a good cup run would be satisfactory to most fans and the board

I think alot also depends on how much more we spend in this window. If it's another 50+ mill, I think it'll be bordering as being expected.

16 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I think alot also depends on how much more we spend in this window. If it's another 50+ mill, I think it'll be bordering as being expected.

I still don’t think so… I’d say to really expect European football we need at least 3+ upgrades to our best 11. As well as an upgrade on our tactics too. 

the 3 that I’d improve on is 

striker 

number 8 

And a ball playing CB

to improve on what we got this season in those positions we are looking at another £150m.. what I’m not expecting we’d be doing 

2 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Upgrades on Watkins and Ings are needed next season to progress.

I think we can get more than 55 points with those two.

2 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

A proper number 8 with an engine is also required as im sure luiz will be sold

I think we can get more than 55 points with Luiz playing the majority of games. If he won't sign a contract, I would look to move him on, but ability not in doubt for me.

• Like 1

I think we need to at least be in the serious conversations for a European place. I.e. we might not get one but we were occupying them for parts of the season and just lost out at the end, or something like that. If we go all season without even troubling the top seven, then that will be very disappointing. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He should be getting 70 points !! 🤣🤣🤣 

Copa America winning goalkeeper, Europa League winning centre back, Champions League winning number 10, think the 4th most expensive player ever. 40 cap French full back and the hottest free agent in European football for a start

Damn why should we have expectations after this spend

Funnily enough the one person not to give Gerrard a free pass is Gerrard himself which makes his defenders look pretty bad

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He should be getting 70 points !! 🤣🤣🤣 

70 is a very big number but I’m curious what people think it should be. Smith got 55 with the likes of AEG and Trezeguet playing. He’s been ‘upgraded’ and we are adding players like Coutinho, Digne, Kamara etc - so you have to think they want something in the high 50s/low 60s - 55 won’t be good enough, surely? So what will?

60 points for example would have been 6th this year, 9th last year, 6th the year before, 7th the year before - maybe that’s the target.

Looking at this actually it’s staggering that Smith got 55 points with that squad - what an achievement and one that would have had us top 7-8 most seasons.

• Like 4

I reckon we will get between 60 and 70 points.

60 points as a minimum. If we get less than 55 then its a failure and Purslow should go. Our owners should employ someone who can get a manager who is worthy of our financial outlay.

If this doesn't happen then our owners are just cash rich fools. 

44 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Tottenham got 71,  Arsenal 69, Man U behind them with 58, and so on. Lol

All teams which have been pumping 10s - 100s of millions of pounds into their teams consistently for season on top of season.

However, now, because we have 4 - 5 top class players, we should be getting Champions League, or it's a failure. 🤦🏿🤔

Against teams which have " Champions League " starting 11s plus

I agree generally on this point with you but I struggle with the “Champions League” starting 11 part.  I look at Spurs starting 11 and I’m not convinced of that defence from Dier to Sanchez, now Sessegnon…along with Ben Davies and Doherty and others…it doesn’t scream CL XI to me at all.  Ahead of that on the pitch is excellent but I struggle with that defence aside from the likes of Lloris.  Romero could be genuine quality but has an error per game in him.

Back to Villa, I think our target should be 60 points and let’s see how we go!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree generally on this point with you but I struggle with the “Champions League” starting 11 part.  I look at Spurs starting 11 and I’m not convinced of that defence from Dier to Sanchez, now Sessegnon…along with Ben Davies and Doherty and others…it doesn’t scream CL XI to me at all.  Ahead of that on the pitch is excellent but I struggle with that defence aside from the likes of Lloris.  Romero could be genuine quality but has an error per game in him.

Back to Villa, I think our target should be 60 points and let’s see how we go!

Since we’ve all had a couple of days off for The Queen reaching 70 years on the throne, I reckon we should aim for 70 points. If we get there a national holiday should be called for. I’m sure the future King could be persuaded to use his influence. 

10 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

So if we don't get European football this 22/23 campaign, are we seeing it as a poor season. Even though we finished 14th this season, I doubt around 10th position will be seen as real progress.

8th or 9th would be decent in my book.

Still need two more signings to be serious about top 7 as just feels like a season where we'll miss too many chances if we just go with status quo.

We'll be better at the back but will just mean we'll draw more games, 5 more draws this season would've got us to 9th I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Tottenham got 71,  Arsenal 69, Man U behind them with 58, and so on. Lol

All teams which have been pumpings 10s - 100s of millions of pounds into their teams consistently for season on top of season.

However, now, because we have 4 - 5 top class players, we should be getting Champions League, or it's a failure. 🤦🏿🤔

Against teams which have " Champions League " starting 11s plus

Normally I'd agree, but I wouldn't say either Spurs or Arsenal have CL XI's. Spurs were carried by 2 world class players and Conte tbh. United getting 58 points is horrendous though.

Spurs and Arsenal also both only finished 6/7 points ahead of us the previous season and I imagine we've closed the gap in terms of squad strength significantly from there. 60 points is a good target I think. Should be in with a shout for top 6.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I know he's a bit persona non grata, but I haven't forgotten that Jack Grealish existed. 

Sure, I’m not saying he didn’t have some good players. But he also had some (relative to what Gerrard will have going forward) very bad ones. Anyway the point is about 55 points then vs a target now, not another Smith vs Gerrard borefest.

Edited by Adam2003

53 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

It’s quite a remarkable omission from his whole point actually. 

I was trying to focus on things going forward and answer the question of how many points we should get rather than focus on the fact we had a really great player in our squad two seasons ago. The point is the overall quality of the squad has improved dramatically and yet we are talking about how a good target (and one I personally would be happy with) is an additional two wins on that season. 

I know a lot of people need to have everything be a Gerrard vs Smith pissing contest for some reason but you don’t need to assume people are being somehow disingenuous eh. I think it is amazing Smith got 55 points with so many bad players; I will equally be really pleased for Gerrard to get 60+ with this significantly improved squad. I’m a Villa fan - I want all our managers to do well. Leave me out of the snide comments back and forth please!

• Like 1

Â