Season 22/23 Target League Position

nick76

The poll  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What league position should we be aiming for?

2. 2. What is the lowest acceptable position?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/22 at 23:00

8 hours ago, Xela said:

True. 

If we hadn't suffered 2x 3-2 collapses we'd have been 9th!

Fine margins. 

All true but I think if we look over the whole season I’m not sure we deserve a top 10 finish.  Based on how we have performed then 12th-15th is probably what we have deserved so while incredibly disappointing, 14th doesn’t surprise me.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, nick76 said:

All true but I think if we look over the whole season I’m not sure we deserve a top 10 finish.  Based on how we have performed then 12th-15th is probably what we have deserved so while incredibly disappointing, 14th doesn’t surprise me.

There are a lot of teams very similar in terms of standard in the league. If we can improve 10%-15% then i'm sure top 8 or 9 is within reach. 

42 minutes ago, Xela said:

There are a lot of teams very similar in terms of standard in the league. If we can improve 10%-15% then i'm sure top 8 or 9 is within reach. 

That’s also what those other teams will be saying though.  

We have one advantage over them aside from Newcastle that we have budget to buy better players.  

The question then is Gerrard the right manager to get that 10-15% out of the players, the jury is very much on the fence on that.  Next season he has to show he is because he hasn’t really shown it yet.

I think that we are far nearer to being much better than we are to being any worse. It feels like we lose out on so many points by the odd goal. 

I know it's easy to say in retrospect but it should have been so simple for us to have about 10 more points. More so for me than any other season. 

Therefore I think that if we do get it right, around 7th is a realistic aim.

10th absolute minimum for me. I’m as ‘on board’ and ‘behind the manager’ as anyone, but with the level of investment and the players at our disposal (especially assuming the quality we will bring in to add to the squad this summer) then top half has to be the minimum requirement surely?

5 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

10th absolute minimum for me. I’m as ‘on board’ and ‘behind the manager’ as anyone, but with the level of investment and the players at our disposal (especially assuming the quality we will bring in to add to the squad this summer) then top half has to be the minimum requirement surely?

I would say 10th is minimum, yes. Realistically, and barring an absolutely mind-blowing summer, we should be in the group that contains Leicester, West Ham, probably Newcastle and maybe Brighton depending on who they hold onto. Making the assumption that United won't be as bad as they were this season.

I don't expect Wolves or Brentford to maintain their current levels (with Neves all but gone and Eriksen probably going), and I guess Crystal Palace are a wildcard depending on their own summer but they may lose Gallagher too.

• Like 1

We need to channel our inner Ron Saunders and start building towards sustained title challenges. I expect a cup this season. Preferably the FA Cup. 

Also we have to have a minimum of 3 wins against the top 6. 

55 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

We need to channel our inner Ron Saunders and start building towards sustained title challenges. I expect a cup this season. Preferably the FA Cup. 

Also we have to have a minimum of 3 wins against the top 6. 

I’m not so fussed about about the cups, too much heartbreak from the Arsenal and Chelsea finals this century has killed my enjoyment of the cups!  

Yes I’d love to win one again but I’ll only enjoy a cup run post any win of one of them, which is unlikely these days.

We should aim for top 4 but realistical target should be top 8. 

Areas that need improvement.

Win when we go in front.

Don't ship more than a goal every  25 minutes.

Keep our composure when we go behind.

Learn to slow the game down when we are losing our composure, keeper staying down and making more fuss when we are fouled, surrounding the ref and getting the physio on, the dark arts.

We need a captain who is a winner and driven to succeed and doesn't panic when we are under to cosh. Ming's doesn't fit that bill, especially the panicking bit .

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m not so fussed about about the cups, too much heartbreak from the Arsenal and Chelsea finals this century has killed my enjoyment of the cups!  

Yes I’d love to win one again but I’ll only enjoy a cup run post any win of one of them, which is unlikely these days.

I think winning the FA Cup will bring a lot of belief to the club and make us stronger.

9 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think winning the FA Cup will bring a lot of belief to the club and make us stronger.

Don’t disagree, I think it’s so incredibly hard to do these days and we have no luck in the cups and generally ut in the third round.  

I think we can get close to that belief by getting back into Europe.  It’s sad that’s the case but getting back into Europe, gets exposure and pride.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Winning an FA Cup game would be a start, we havent won a game in the tournament since 2016

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Don’t disagree, I think it’s so incredibly hard to do these days and we have no luck.  I think we can get close to that belief by getting back into Europe.  It’s sad that’s the case but getting back into Europe, gets exposure and pride.

Listening to the commentary team choking on their words when they say “For the Eighth time Aston Villa win the FA Cup”. 1957 it’s too long to go without that trophy. Here’s hoping we get Mansfield town, Kidderminster, Swindon, Tranmere on the run to the semi’s lol.

• Like 1

Â