Season 22/23 Target League Position

nick76

The poll  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What league position should we be aiming for?

2. 2. What is the lowest acceptable position?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/22 at 23:00

Just now, paul514 said:

Yes, obviously.

Do you think everyone who finished above has a better squad?

Wolves, yes,

wet spam, yes

Vardy’s party, yes

brighton, on par, but more balanced, so yes

Newcastle, maybe, not sure. But I’m sure they are improving this summer

Palace, I hate to say it, but probably yes

Brentford, no, but having a worldie like Ericsson had made the difference. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Wolves, yes,

wet spam, yes

Vardy’s party, yes

Sorry I can't take you seriously after that reply  🙄

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Maybe our team isn't as good as we think 😬

Some what yes, but there’s not much in it with the team’s outside of the “big 6” teams

next season, almost anyone else could finish 7th or equally get relegated.

It’s that close with chasing pack, unfortunately we’re in that pack.

but we showing some serious intent and attracting some good players for it. Hopefully it helps us to break out of the chasing pack and join up with the “big 6”

I think there is a clear difference between talent and mentality.  Our current squad has plenty of talent and is comparable or better than any squad outside of the top six.  However, the mentality of our squad is weak. It’s not measurable in stats or visible performance.  But inconsistency is the hallmark of a talented squad with a substandard mentality. Gerrard knows this and has set about trying to fix it by bringing in players (and staff) who have played and won at the highest levels.  If he gets it right then there is no reason why we shouldn’t be pushing up the league next season. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Wolves, yes,

wet spam, yes

Vardy’s party, yes

Are you being serious 😂 oh you are.

West Ham and Leicester I'd agree with, everyone else on that list we have a better squad than and in most cases (other than Wolves) by far.

We underachieved by 4-5 places this season, just accept it. 

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Are you being serious 😂 oh you are.

West Ham and Leicester I'd agree with, everyone else on that list we have a better squad than and in most cases (other than Wolves) by far.

We underachieved by 4-5 places this season, just accept it. 

But they all finished above us and all but Brighton took points from us. 

I’m not saying they are light years ahead of us, just that they are… currently. A full league of games is a fair assessment to say these teams were better and we need to improve. not just players, but tactics, ideas and style too. 

but to be fair, all teams that finished 7th to 17th last season could finish anywhere from 7th to relegation next season. It’s a tight pack. A good signing there, a bad injury here, a new manager over there makes a big difference. 

but unfortunately for all these teams, it’s seems a massive stretch that any of them could permanently make the top 6 

Newcastle have one of the worst squads in the league minus Bruno.  That was an absolutely freakish set of results they achieved in the second half of the season.  

The despotic regime bounce.

Saying that the squad (8th most valuable in the league, probably higher after this window) just isn’t good enough is the perfect excuse.

It relieves players, manager, coaching staff and other staff from responsibility. The owners are left to suffer, wondering why they keep investing 2-3 times as much as comparable clubs each window without results.

29 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

But they all finished above us and all but Brighton took points from us. 

I’m not saying they are light years ahead of us, just that they are… currently. A full league of games is a fair assessment to say these teams were better and we need to improve. not just players, but tactics, ideas and style too. 

but to be fair, all teams that finished 7th to 17th last season could finish anywhere from 7th to relegation next season. It’s a tight pack. A good signing there, a bad injury here, a new manager over there makes a big difference. 

but unfortunately for all these teams, it’s seems a massive stretch that any of them could permanently make the top 6 

There's a reason Howe, Vieira and Frank were all nominated for Manager of the Year - it's because where they finished was far higher than what was expected by most pundits and with the players at their resources. 

So the bit about tactics, ideas and style is relevant - they all nailed theirs whereas we failed in ours for the most part because we finished 14th with a set of players that should have finished above those teams. 

I don't actually agree about any team outside top 6 could finish 7th to 20th - Arsenal for example I don't think are that great and I actually think we aren't too far off them quality wise, the fact they finished so many points ahead of us is scandalous. 

I think we should be in that set of teams just outside the top 6, where West Ham, Leicester and Wolves are. Brighton are exceptionally coached by a very good manager but we should certainly be on a par with them because I'm certainly not envious of the players they are putting out on the pitch compared to ours. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

There's a reason Howe, Vieira and Frank were all nominated for Manager of the Year - it's because where they finished was far higher than what was expected by most pundits and with the players at their resources. 

So the bit about tactics, ideas and style is relevant - they all nailed theirs whereas we failed in ours for the most part because we finished 14th with a set of players that should have finished above those teams. 

I don't actually agree about any team outside top 6 could finish 7th to 20th - Arsenal for example I don't think are that great and I actually think we aren't too far off them quality wise, the fact they finished so many points ahead of us is scandalous. 

I think we should be in that set of teams just outside the top 6, where West Ham, Leicester and Wolves are. Brighton are exceptionally coached by a very good manager but we should certainly be on a par with them because I'm certainly not envious of the players they are putting out on the pitch compared to ours. 

I agree with everything you’re saying. 

It still doesn’t mean we are currently better than the other squads that finished above us. that’s for next season to tell. 

lots of work needed, some players out, some players in, last seasons tactics scrapped and upgraded. A kick up some players arses and develop a real winning mentality. Maybe we can challenge Arsenal.

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Saying that the squad (8th most valuable in the league, probably higher after this window) just isn’t good enough is the perfect excuse.

It relieves players, manager, coaching staff and other staff from responsibility. The owners are left to suffer, wondering why they keep investing 2-3 times as much as comparable clubs each window without results.

What’s that based on?

4 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

It’s just Transfermarkt.

Thanks. So out of interest I had a look at the most valuable first 11 not including top 6 teams and we only had 2 players. Martinez and Digne. What you think of that? 

5 Leicester players, 1 West Ham, 1 Leeds 1 Palace and 1 Everton.

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Thanks. So out of interest I had a look at the most valuable first 11 not including top 6 teams and we only had 2 players. Martinez and Digne. What you think of that? 

5 Leicester players, 1 West Ham, 1 Leeds 1 Palace and 1 Everton.

Leicester have some valuable players! But we have one more than the others? Don’t know really.

One thing about valuations is they favour younger players. So if a club like Villa sign some highly rated 29-year-olds, their transfer value probably wouldn’t reflect their quality. Wage bills are more accurate to predict success I think.

Â