Pre match thread

mottaloo

15 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Nakamba Luiz and JJ midfield for me 

Suppose something different would be Nakamba and Luiz in a double pivot, McGinn as number 10 and then Ramsey in one of the AM positions with Coutinho off the main CF.

No idea if it would come close to working but just feels play our usual style and we'll be soundly beaten as they'll find all sorts of space between the lines with the form Kane is in.

• Like 1

On 06/04/2022 at 13:38, PussEKatt said:

We need to use the wingers that we bought (for a not inconsiderable amount of $$$ ) and change the formation to accomodate them and Ings and Watkins.

The thing is that Bailey has hardly been fit and I don't think Gerrard is a fan of Traore. I would give Chambers a start in midfield and drop either Ramsey who looks tired, or McGinn who has been out of form.

• Like 1

On 06/04/2022 at 11:40, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'll watch it but not looking forward to this at all...

Players are pretty average for me and hence where we are.

4-1 Spuds (3-0 half-time).

I'll be looking through my fingers.

Feel the same way about this upcoming fixture as I did the same fixture under McLeish those years back when we played 6 defenders. Ironically, the same people I watched that game with at the pub want me to go and watch this modern humiliation on Saturday. How things change!

Have a feeling we won't lose this, not sure why maybe it's the law of averages.

Lost faith with this season tbh, sooner it's over its the better for me , every game is becoming a chore. Hopefully next season we can improve and give us fans something to get excited about, at the moment it's all pretty shit. 

• Like 1

They have a better manager, a better defence, a better midfield, better forwards, a system thats clicked, their players know their roles and are playing with freedom and a smile on their face.

We are still trying to make our system work but it looks more disjointed every passing week, a manager who is saying the players dont believe in it and will replace those who cant play it. The difference in morale between the 2 sides must be night and day. They’ve won the last 3, we’ve lost the last 3. No league home win since 2007/08 against Spurs. Football is strange but there’s no way we win this. We weren’t far off them this time last season, look miles apart now which is a shame.

We do have a better goalkeeper though 🙃

• Like 4

Absolutely dreading this one now and been thinking of several line ups but each time thinking we’re still weak in the middle.  If Nakamba can play an hour, I would put him in but if he’s only fit for the bench, then I would consider Chambers as a DCM for this one.

Spurs are strong in the midfield and when Kane drops deep, it will expose our usual back four if someone follows him and because of this, I’ve going with three central defenders. Chambers can then follow/man mark Kane, without exposing us too much to runners.

Martinez 

Konsa    Chambers    Mings

Cash                                            Digne

Nakamba

Luiz                    McGinn

Coutinho

Watkins

Subs:  Olsen, Hause, Young, Sanson, Ramsey, Buendia, Bailey, Traore, Ings

I honestly think whatever we do, they’ll pick us off and can only see a defeat I’m afraid.  

• Like 3

Referee: Graham Scott.
Assistants: Harry Lennard, Mark Scholes.
Fourth official: Craig Pawson.
VAR: Jarred Gillett.
Assistant VAR: Lee Betts.

This will be Graham Scott's first Villa game this season. He only presided over 1 of our games last season and we won! The gameweek 2 home victory over Sheffield United with Konsa netting the winner.  He also reffed our 3-0 thumping at the hands of Man City the previous season. It would seem he's limited to 1 Villa game per season.

On 02/04/2022 at 20:37, VillaChris said:

0-3 if Spurs get an early goal.

Think their 3-5-2 will cause us endless problems and Kane is in best spell of the season. And Son usually scores v us. And we should'v signed Bentancur etc.

Lucas Moura will have his usual great game

On 06/04/2022 at 21:31, turvontour said:

I think a lot of the atmosphere of away ends is alcohol driven owing to the set up of an away day for most fans. I.e travelling for hours on trains and coaches to pubs before games. Home fans arent doing that. 

Right so what we need to do is offer everyone who buys a ticket a ride on the number 11 (is there still a number 11?) with free beer for a few hours before the game.

Sorted!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 7392craig said:

I wish the games that we all see as a loss could be turned into draws. Seems whenever we’re expected to lose we have an even worse performance than usual.

And whenever we expect to win, we um, lose.