Pre match thread

mottaloo

Everyone blaming the players and not Gerrard need only look at what Conte has done at Spurs. Players like Davies, Doherty, Sessegnon and Dier who the fans wanted sold before Conte arrived because they weren't contributing anything are now playing well and regulars in the team because Conte is an actual coach and can make average players greater than what they are. 

Of course if we lose again (which would be 4 straight defeats in a row and the sort of form that sort Smith sacked) people will once again say the players aren't good enough and Gerrard's hands are tied. 

It's a difficult game regardless but I just want to see some kind of plan executed to try to win the game. Sit deep and counter quickly and be ruthless with our finishing is the only way I can see us winning but Gerrard will most likely try to play football again with really slow buildup play and the same narrow formation which will be our downfall. We definitely can't allow them to press and counter because they are masters at it and we really don't want Son or Kane running into space in the final third. It will certainly help if our players don't gift Tottenham any cheap goals like they tend to do most weeks to most teams in this league.

The Wolves performance and result worried me and another defeat here will be even more painful. Just don't look forward to any games these days.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Need to take some inspiration from this lot..

we played some great football under BFR, Daley's goal is outstanding and RIP big Cyrille so good to see him score again.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Everyone blaming the players and not Gerrard need only look at what Conte has done at Spurs. Players like Davies, Doherty, Sessegnon and Dier who the fans wanted sold before Conte arrived because they weren't contributing anything are now playing well and regulars in the team because Conte is an actual coach and can make average players greater than what they are. 

Of course if we lose again (which would be 4 straight defeats in a row and the sort of form that sort Smith sacked) people will once again say the players aren't good enough and Gerrard's hands are tied. 

It's a difficult game regardless but I just want to see some kind of plan executed to try to win the game. Sit deep and counter quickly and be ruthless with our finishing is the only way I can see us winning but Gerrard will most likely try to play football again with really slow buildup play and the same narrow formation which will be our downfall. We definitely can't allow them to press and counter because they are masters at it and we really don't want Son or Kane running into space in the final third. It will certainly help if our players don't gift Tottenham any cheap goals like they tend to do most weeks to most teams in this league.

The Wolves performance and result worried me and another defeat here will be even more painful. Just don't look forward to any games these days.

The Spurs squad is no comparison to ours, in terms of balance......maybe Crystal Palace is the one to make that claim, they were brilliant tonight, doing all the things we don't.

If we don't knock Spurs out of their stride, Like we didn't against Wolves and Arsenal.....we are toast.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The Spurs squad is no comparison to ours, in terms of balance......maybe Crystal Palace is the one to make that claim, they were brilliant tonight, doing all the things we don't.

If we don't knock them out of their stride, Like we didn't against Wolves and Arsenal.....we are toast.

I am very impressed with Palace this season, Patrick Vieira has them playing some very nice football. I like that they don't show any respect to the big teams & just absolutely go for it.

We are diabolical for large parts of games currently and occasionally have a good 20 mins. That is not enough to avoid a comfortable defeat against Spurs i fear.

The scary thing is they are strongest where we are weakest although you would hope 3 defeats in a row (again) will fire us up on Saturday..... even then i can only see a defeat in this one.

Oh well it's an evening out i suppose.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

We are diabolical for large parts of games currently and occasionally have a good 20 mins. That is not enough to avoid a comfortable defeat against Spurs i fear.

The scary thing is they are strongest where we are weakest although you would hope 3 defeats in a row (again) will fire us up on Saturday..... even then i can only see a defeat in this one.

Oh well it's an evening out i suppose.

I thought SG could fire us up, but he clearly can't.....I think the defensive issues have gone unchecked for so long, its in the DNA now.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I am very impressed with Palace this season, Patrick Vieira has them playing some very nice football. I like that they don't show any respect to the big teams & just absolutely go for it.

They are playing good football.....but they win the battle first, something we fail to do, or even try to do.

The have spunk and grit in their players, and are game to compete....look at the boy mateta up front, compared to our passive Ollie or Danny.

as they say "work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard".....there's no getting away from it.....Palace showed exactly that last night.

Viera was a top player too.....shows top ex players, can do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

It’s sold out according to the Official VillaTwitter

hopefully we can cheer them into a performance worthy of the paying masses. 

Tickets been on general sale for over a week, I'm actually going (only second time after Brentford in August after Burnley got postponed mid season) and picked up a "cheap" 29 quid ticket at back of the Holte.

Can understand people losing interest in the season now, actually wonder if Burnley and Palace if that goes midweek will actually sell out.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Tickets been on general sale for over a week, I'm actually going (only second time after Brentford in August after Burnley got postponed mid season) and picked up a "cheap" 29 quid ticket at back of the Holte.

Can understand people losing interest in the season now, actually wonder if Burnley and Palace if that goes midweek will actually sell out.

Fortunately i have managed to borrow two season tickets for this one. First time in ages and looking forward to it

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

It’s sold out according to the Official VillaTwitter

hopefully we can cheer them into a performance worthy of the paying masses. 

Our away support is consistently amazing. I've said it before but the club should do something to get them all sat together in the holte, would transform the atmosphere at VP.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, romavillan said:

Yep he's supposed to be a bit of a bastard but he's a great coach and tactician. Wasn't a bad player either, he does seem to have a shortish shelf life wherever he goes, always a two/three year project max.

The way he has them playing we're going to have to find another gear or two to get anything out of this game. Hopefully we can avoid a mauling.

Yes, he doesn't seem to stay anywhere very long & I don't expect him to put up with Levy for very long either. He tends to take his toys & go home when things don't go his way.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Hate to say it, but I can see them rampaging right through us.

Yeah, I can see it being a bad one. But, then again, expected bad ones often turn out to be very different. Hopefully they think they've won before they take to the pitch and we get a couple of early goals, then manage to take the pressure. Only way I can see us getting anything out of it.

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Hate to say it, but I can see them rampaging right through us.

Divine intervention will save the day.

JC likes the name.

7 hours ago, TRO said:

I think the defensive issues have gone unchecked for so long, its in the DNA now.

We were 7th in goals conceded last season. I don't necessarily think our problems are defensive.

It's our overall balance that's not quite there, as I know you've pointed out yourself on many occasions!.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, romavillan said:

Our away support is consistently amazing. I've said it before but the club should do something to get them all sat together in the holte, would transform the atmosphere at VP.

You could transform the atmosphere at Villa Park much more effectively by getting them all sat together in the Ellis or the Trinity - the key to improving the atmosphere at Villa Park isn't in making the Holte better, the Holte is already the source of most of the noise, it's about making the whole ground better.

• Like 2