Pre match thread

mottaloo

The number six in our system is primarily a passing position. They also need to be able to defend the space, but the number one role is to take the ball off the back four and get it up the field into the feet of Coutinho and Buendia or at least retain it, I think Nakamba is a terrible choice for that. He's good at the secondary requirement which is defensive, but for me the passing is the more important part - if the person we put in there isn't good at looking after the ball and moving it on, we're down to relying on Mings knocking long balls into the corners for the fullbacks to chase.

The best we have in the squad for it is Luiz. Iroegbanum would be interesting, McGinn I'd be unsure of, Sanson might be worth a try, but for me Nakamba is a last resort.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TRO said:

So the coach is to blame for the players losing the ball at an alarming rate against the mighty Newcastle?

Is it the coaches fault for us being bullied and out run against a Leeds team 3-1 down?..who just raid our box and score agricultural goals.

I don't think so.

That doesn't mean everything is rosey in the coaches garden.....but you only have watch the game to know the players are at fault.

2 managers, with 2 different coaching methods are having the same problems......" We are too easy to play against".....and all the formations, both have chosen, have not fixed the problem with any consistency.

It is the players.....whether that means they are not putting it in or we have too few defenders in the team...is up for debate.....but for me, its the blend of players, is not right.

Whether that has affected their game, its anyones guess....but its down to them.

We keep signing players, who have little effect on the aforementioned tag.

But it can't be all of the players.

And last week Digne, Countinho, Chambers (Gerrard's boys) weren't any better than the other 8.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The number six in our system is primarily a passing position. They also need to be able to defend the space, but the number one role is to take the ball off the back four and get it up the field into the feet of Coutinho and Buendia or at least retain it, I think Nakamba is a terrible choice for that. He's good at the secondary requirement which is defensive, but for me the passing is the more important part - if the person we put in there isn't good at looking after the ball and moving it on, we're down to relying on Mings knocking long balls into the corners for the fullbacks to chase.

The best we have in the squad for it is Luiz. Iroegbanum would be interesting, McGinn I'd be unsure of, Sanson might be worth a try, but for me Nakamba is a last resort.

I think when he’s back from injury and fit Marv walks straight back into the 6. We looked a lot better before his injury imo and he was very important for us. Douglas isn’t playing 15-20 yard passes constantly for us or anything, I think Marv showed he’s capable of winning the ball and passing it out wide or through the middle more than capably when Gerrard came in.

• Like 2

Young at RB feels a bizarre pick unless Cash is injured. Been frustrating last few weeks how much of the ball he's wasted in final third but he's actually been decent defensively lately, Saint Maximn barely did anything last week bar a shot in second half.

Anyone know if Kesler can be recalled or is that fixed until end of season as rather he got some starts if Cash is going to be out for a few weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Young at RB feels a bizarre pick unless Cash is injured. Been frustrating last few weeks how much of the ball he's wasted in final third but he's actually been decent defensively lately, Saint Maximn barely did anything last week bar a shot in second half.

Anyone know if Kesler can be recalled or is that fixed until end of season as rather he got some starts if Cash is going to be out for a few weeks.

And that was with the referee basically forbidding any of our players from tackling him as well.

Edited by Mantis

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I thought Saint-maximin terrorised us and was one of the reasons we were ending up all over the place. 

No need to drop Cash though. Saint-Maximin terrorises everyone., he’s class.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought Saint-maximin terrorised us and was one of the reasons we were ending up all over the place. 

I thought we dealt with st maximin quite well, probably the only thing we did well mind you.

That game was lost in the midfield for me.

Be odd if cash was dropped for that performance alone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he is massively overrated. Incredibly selfish. Yes, flashes of brilliance, but overrated. 

Optimism I have previously had for watching ‘the new Villa’ has reverted to type now we have the ‘same old Villa’. Anything less than a win would be unacceptable today. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Yes, we should be winning this. I'm not sure we need big changes from Newcastle, just a better game from everyone. Ings and Watkins both up top?

I think Ollie needs to come out of the team for a bit. I would keep our normal formation but with Ings in for Ollie. Maybe freshen up the midfield too.

1 hour ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Hoping our set pieces are better today.  In the last game they really let us down and we wasted quite a few opportunites to get crosses in or even threaten the goal.

Fingers crossed today we see a reaction from the players because it really is needed. UTV!

Who takes them if doug doesnt play. Got to be phil or Digne