Pre match thread

mottaloo

12 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I think when he’s back from injury and fit Marv walks straight back into the 6. We looked a lot better before his injury imo and he was very important for us. Douglas isn’t playing 15-20 yard passes constantly for us or anything, I think Marv showed he’s capable of winning the ball and passing it out wide or through the middle more than capably when Gerrard came in.

Nakamba has played around 70 games for us and we’ve lost quite a few of them. He was good those four games before the injury, but why was that?

Some like the Birmingham Mail claim he was ”transformed” by Gerrard. How? Magical powers? I saw a Nakamba in great physical shape, playing the same way he always does: patrolling an area outside the box and making tackles.

It worked well because Villa in those games were set up to primarily defend. We played some difficult sides and more or less handed over possession (low 30s), defending in a tight and narrow block while the opposition passed the ball around us, sideways and out on the flanks.

Do we want to go back to playing like that? Against difficult teams we probably should and Nakamba has traditionally done well against the best teams where Villa spend much of games under attack. But do we want to hand over possession and spend most of the game defending in a tight block against teams like Watford, Burnley or even Southampton?

Gerrard says he wants us to become a more possession oriented side. We haven’t seen much of that yet. With Nakamba such a change could be even more difficult, even though he’s a great ball winner, since he’s not very comfortable is possession and definitely not when pressed (few of our players are actually).

I also look forward to Nakamba returning  but feel some have unrealistic expectations based on those four games. He will likely be the same Nakamba with strengths and weaknesses, not a player forever transformed after a few training sessions with Gerrard in November.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Nakamba has played around 70 games for us and we’ve lost quite a few of them. He was good those four games before the injury, but why was that?

Some like the Birmingham Mail claim he was ”transformed” by Gerrard. How? Magical powers? I saw a Nakamba in great physical shape, playing the same way he always does: patrolling an area outside the box and making tackles.

It worked well because Villa in those games were set up to primarily defend. We played some difficult sides and more or less handed over possession (low 30s), defending in a tight and narrow block while the opposition passed the ball around us, sideways and out on the flanks.

Do we want to go back to playing like that? Against difficult teams we probably should and Nakamba has traditionally done well against the best teams where Villa spend much of games under attack. But do we want to hand over possession and spend most of the game defending in a tight block against teams like Watford, Burnley or even Southampton?

Gerrard says he wants us to become a more possession oriented side. We haven’t seen much of that yet. With Nakamba such a change could be even more difficult, even though he’s a great ball winner, since he’s not very comfortable is possession and definitely not when pressed (few of our players are actually).

I also look forward to Nakamba returning  but feel some have unrealistic expectations based on those four games. He will likely be the same Nakamba with strengths and weaknesses, not a player forever transformed after a few training sessions with Gerrard in November.

Nakamba is not the man to take us into the top 8. We will spend big in the summer on that man.

• Like 1

Be interesting to see what changes are made today. I'm thinking deffo Ings for Watkins but i'll be surprised if there is not at least one change to midfield. Sure after last week Watford will fancy they can get something from this game but I do expect to see a reaction. 2-0 win here.

I’ve been so despondent about football after that Newcastle disgrace that I forgot we were even playing today!

I might not even watch it. It’ll be the first match I’ve missed in years. 

I hope we win, and I’ll enjoy watching it back if we do, but I’m reluctant to waste a Saturday afternoon being pissed off and frustrated. 

2-0 Villa, if we can’t beat these then what’s the point. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

To be fair he was in and out of the side under Smith . He did have some really good performances. I think Gerrard liked him and was keen to play him . Your point about his ability when on the ball and being pressed are correct. 

8 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’ve been so despondent about football after that Newcastle disgrace that I forgot we were even playing today!

I hope we win, and I’ll enjoy watching it back if we do, but I’m reluctant to waste a Saturday afternoon being pissed off and frustrated. 

Get yourself on Big Jet TV and watch back yesterday's landings.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Have missed only 2 games since we got relegated. Think I might sit this one out as it was totally depressing last week. Can’t believe it really, despite all the spending and all the personnel changes this current side has no spirit or sense of ambition and drive, you just sense they are not really that bothered apart from one or two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I thought his passing improve dramatically during that 4 game spell, What are the reasons are for that I have no idea

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Nakamba is not the man to take us into the top 8. We will spend big in the summer on that man.

I think we might spend big twice in the midfield.  Even with replacing Nakamba, I am still not convinced that Luiz / McGinn are good enough for a new midfield with that signing and JJ.  I think we need to upgrade them both.  That would also take a lot of pressure off our defenders because hopefully when we are not in the ascendancy we can actually get our foot on the ball and change the tempo / flow of the game rather than just hoofing the ball back to the opposition because we don't know what else to do with it.

11 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Have missed only 2 games since we got relegated. Think I might sit this one out as it was totally depressing last week. Can’t believe it really, despite all the spending and all the personnel changes this current side has no spirit or sense of ambition and drive, you just sense they are not really that bothered apart from one or two.

It’s weird isn’t it? 

I keep thinking I should be dead excited to watch us play now, we’ve got Coutinho, Ramsey, Buendia, Bailey etc… great attacking talent. But I’m struggling to find the connection and the cause, they don’t seem that motivated to me. And I’ve seen enough terrible Villa football over the years to last me a lifetime. I’m sure we will turn it around, there’s plenty to be positive about at the club now. I’m just not feeling it in the same way. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Watford haven't score from outside the box all season, I'm now searching their squad to see who has never scored, or not scored for years to lump some £ on a nice guaranteed double, free money basically. Might try and sell the car before lunchtime and go big on it.

Does Tom Cleverley play for them still? He’d be a good bet to score the winner in the 94th.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Watford haven't score from outside the box all season, I'm now searching their squad to see who has never scored, or not scored for years to lump some £ on a nice guaranteed double, free money basically. Might try and sell the car before lunchtime and go big on it.

Craig Cathcart 30 yard drive incoming