Pre match thread

mottaloo

45 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I don't think it is all the player's fault. I think Beale has got our shape a bit wrong!

Luiz needs to sit a bit deeper and JJ and SJM need to push a bit higher up. The full backs need to get forward but not as consistently high as they have been.

I personally wouldn't make any changes but wouldn't be surprised if Stevie did.

We just need to release that front 3 but stay reasonably tight defensively.

So the coach is to blame for the players losing the ball at an alarming rate against the mighty Newcastle?

Is it the coaches fault for us being bullied and out run against a Leeds team 3-1 down?..who just raid our box and score agricultural goals.

I don't think so.

That doesn't mean everything is rosey in the coaches garden.....but you only have watch the game to know the players are at fault.

2 managers, with 2 different coaching methods are having the same problems......" We are too easy to play against".....and all the formations, both have chosen, have not fixed the problem with any consistency.

It is the players.....whether that means they are not putting it in or we have too few defenders in the team...is up for debate.....but for me, its the blend of players, is not right.

Whether that has affected their game, its anyones guess....but its down to them.

We keep signing players, who have little effect on the aforementioned tag.

Edited by TRO

On 14/02/2022 at 11:03, Herman22 said:

I think SG is going to ring the changes for this one. He was fuming during and after the game and he will have made that known to the players. I think he will go with this:

Emi

Cash Chambers Mings Digne

JJ Tim Sanson

Buendia Couthino

Ings

I wouldn’t be surprised if he dropped Buendia for Bailey but I think he’ll know he’s lacking fitness to last 70+ mins. 

He is right to ring the changes. But that can't be his sole motivational tactic.

The Newcastle game was a really damp squib in the end and everyone will be looking for a major reaction tomorrow. Gerrard in the immediate aftermath last week talked about changes being made for this game but I’m just not so sure what changes he can make without actually weakening us? Pretty much it was our best eleven that started at Newcastle and depending on what he’s seen in training this week I can only see a couple of changes at the most.

Chambers probably retains his defensive place, unless he plays Hause and moves Chambers into a defensive midfield position but I don’t think we’ll do that. The main midfield three positions are where we may see a change or two but it’s likely to be Sanson and/or Carney? Ramsey definitely keeps his place but I still wouldn’t be surprised to see Luiz and McGinn starting.

The other spot up in the air is who starts up top? Watkins was a major disappointment last weekend no question but his game hasn’t been great for a while now. Ings I think will get the nod to start this one but Bailey and Watkins should certainly be prepared to play a part in this match.

Watford will want to keep it very tight and frustrate us no doubt, so patience may be required or we may come flying out the blocks and blow them away early? Either way I think we’ll win, it just may not be the convincing victory we’re all hoping for. Going to say 1-0 win.

Martinez

Cash      Chambers         Mings      Digne

Ramsey        *****        *****

Buendia       Coutinho

• Like 2

I'd quite like to see just a nice routine 2-0 win here. Nothing fancy, get the basics right and get back to some kind of structure or solidity. If we can't do that against Watford then we really are looking a bit bereft. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

The Newcastle game was a really damp squib in the end and everyone will be looking for a major reaction tomorrow. Gerrard in the immediate aftermath last week talked about changes being made for this game but I’m just not so sure what changes he can make without actually weakening us? Pretty much it was our best eleven that started at Newcastle and depending on what he’s seen in training this week I can only see a couple of changes at the most.

Chambers probably retains his defensive place, unless he plays Hause and moves Chambers into a defensive midfield position but I don’t think we’ll do that. The main midfield three positions are where we may see a change or two but it’s likely to be Sanson and/or Carney? Ramsey definitely keeps his place but I still wouldn’t be surprised to see Luiz and McGinn starting.

The other spot up in the air is who starts up top? Watkins was a major disappointment last weekend no question but his game hasn’t been great for a while now. Ings I think will get the nod to start this one but Bailey and Watkins should certainly be prepared to play a part in this match.

Watford will want to keep it very tight and frustrate us no doubt, so patience may be required or we may come flying out the blocks and blow them away early? Either way I think we’ll win, it just may not be the convincing victory we’re all hoping for. Going to say 1-0 win.

Martinez

Ramsey        *****        *****

Buendia       Coutinho

I heard SG has been doing drills with EB PC and Ings. I think Chambers gets another shot and SG loves SJM, maybe he will give Sanson a try or a very long shot he gives TI a shot but I doubt it.

I'd say just Dougie and Ollie replaced.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Whether that has affected their game, its anyones guess....but its down to them.

Against Leeds certain players lost their discipline, after Ramsey scored his second goal.

Mings thought he was Maldini and started to run the ball beyond the midfielders.

They blew the three points, obviously got a bollocking for their folly, and went into the Newcastle game looking uncertain.

The loss of confidence carries over to the next game

Watching the top managers, they don't wait until the end of game to have a word in a player's ear.

Klopp, Tuchel and Guadiola give out the individual bollockings, as soon as they do the wrong thing, no matter what the score is.

I get the impression that they don't give bollockings for simple errors but for poor decisions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wict01 said:

I'd quite like to see just a nice routine 2-0 win here. Nothing fancy, get the basics right and get back to some kind of structure or solidity. If we can't do that against Watford then we really are looking a bit bereft. 

Yep - there can be no excuses.

Sure Stevie G needs his own players - and time with those players if we are going to push on and be a force in the division. But not to beat lowly Watford at home.  Indeed with less time and none of his own players - We beat Brighton and Leicester.

No excuses.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

That would be a tad drastic IMO.  What happens if that team loses ? - Does he recall the dropped players next time out.  In one sense ruthless - but then Digne and Chambers keep there places !!!!! 

Watching the pre-match interviews it sounds like the players have had a good rollocking about their level of performance against Newcastle. I do envisage at least two changes with Watkins and Luiz being dropped but maybe there will be more. 

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Martinez

Ramsey        Sanson        Mcginn

Buendia       Coutinho

Ings

This for me. We need Marvellous back asap. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

This for me. We need Marvellous back asap. 

That's why maybe we should just go with Iroegbunam.  A proper DM is imperative to Gerrard's style of play as evidenced by how much better we were when Nakamba was in the team.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

That's why maybe we should just go with Iroegbunam.  A proper DM is imperative to Gerrard's style of play as evidenced by how much better we were when Nakamba was in the team.

I don’t know anything about him tbh, but if that’s where he plays I would start him over Mcginn and let Sanson get forward. 

42 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It does seem he is a natural for that position, however, his competence at Premier league level, I am unsure about, yet.

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

It does seem he is a natural for that position, however, his competence at Premier league level, I am unsure about, yet.

Yep, it's about weighing up whether someone playing the correct role but maybe not fully up to standard yet is better than a square peg at the moment.

• Like 1