Pre match thread

mottaloo

Bit concerning Gerrard didnt freshen it up at Newcastle knowing the players werent going to be at 100% after Leeds. Missed a trick there, it was such a stale performance by the same XI that started the midweek game. Should have changed it at HT at least. We have a big squad now but aren't using it. After a week off if he makes wholesale changes and it doesnt work again, it will look like the wrong decision again. Really hoping the fans stay with the team on Saturday no matter what, but not holding my breath. Hoping for the best, that our quality will come to the fore but got the feeling like ive seen this movie before.

• Like 1

On 16/02/2022 at 14:07, OutByEaster? said:

Deeper?

He's currently our left sided holding midfielder, with Coutinho ahead of him and Digne usually in front of him down the left - where are you thinking of putting him?

I think Luiz will be dropped so can see Gerrard risking it and putting McGinn in at 6 against pretty much bottom of the table and non scoring Watford at home.

so.....

McGinn

Ramsey   Carney/Sanson

then Ings as CF as other main attacking change.

• Like 1

On 16/02/2022 at 20:29, robby b said:

How on earth did this team that have scored once in their last 6 PL games beat Man Utd 4-1 and Everton 5-2 (at Goodison) just three months ago?! Strange. 

Sarr started in those games, indeed Man. United was his last league start.

He's the only hope Watford have of staying up as rest of their team is very mediocre.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think Luiz will be dropped so can see Gerrard risking it and putting McGinn in at 6 against pretty much bottom of the table and non scoring Watford at home.

so.....

McGinn

Ramsey   Carney/Sanson

I can see that point of view, but for me I'm not sure it'd work - the person in that position sees more of the ball than anyone else in the team and I'm not sure McGinn's passing is good enough for it.

Just now, PaulC said:

Dennis is good. 

Thought he was one of those who'd barely scored since opening day but yeah 8 goals in 20 games is pretty good, double Ings.

Their defence is poor though and midfield with Kucka, Cleverley and Sissoko is all workmanlike with next to no creativity so really poor result if we get held to 1-1 or whatever.

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

so.....

McGinn

Ramsey   Carney/Sanson

In my opinion, Ings doesn’t work hard enough for the team to play him up front by himself, others might think differently just for a change!

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In my opinion, Ings doesn’t work hard enough for the team to play him up front by himself, others might think differently just for a change!

Not hugely impressed myself but Ollie been poor for last 3 games so feels like right opponent to bring him back as CF.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

so.....

McGinn

Ramsey   Carney/Sanson

I dont like having McGinn having that responsibility, his discipline isnt good enough either

Best keep Luiz there and drop McGinn

There simply has to be changes made to that first X1 for this game, doesn't there...? Though worryingly that seemed obvious at HT at the latest against Newcastle, and nothing changed. Really want to see lessons learned on the pitch over 'tough talk' for the media.

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

There simply has to be changes made to that first X1 for this game, doesn't there...? Though worryingly that seemed obvious at HT at the latest against Newcastle, and nothing changed. Really want to see lessons learned on the pitch over 'tough talk' for the media.

It's difficult, you'd expect changes based on form I think - but the eleven that started against Newcastle is our best eleven, and I guess if they show in training a willingness to put the work in, it's hard to drop them. 

I think we'll see a couple of changes, but not much more than that.

• Like 1

I think the NUFC game saw most players privately saying to themselves they were going to take it easy and be a passenger. Then they realised they had all decided to do that. They will be shitting it in this game and I think we will see something drastically different. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Watkins hasnt been working hard most of the season so i am in favour of ings getting some starts and ollie dropped

• Like 2

I'm not saying Gerrard doesn't know results aren't good enough, I'm sure he does, but the fact is we are paying him a lot more money than Smith and in the last 5-6 games results are no better on average than Smith's 11 games this season and performances are just as flat if not more so (especially last week).

There has to be changes but 2-3 and no more. Probably Ings for Watkins, maybe Sanson to come in for one of the CMs (McGinn or Luiz most out of form), potentially Bailey but he'd have to change the formation if he wants to keep Coutinho and Buendia in.

Luckily some of our fans don't pick the team because selecting Iroegbunam in that sitting midfield role is the worst suggestion I've seen given his inexperience. Then again Luiz or McGinn or Sanson aren't skilled in playing there either.

Suggestions to go back to a double pivot might work with McGinn-Luiz or Sanson-Luiz/McGinn and then 3 of Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey or Ramsey behind the striker. 

Basically if we don't win this game it is a huge concern and Gerrard will not be making his case any stronger for the Liverpool job if that is his aim. 

Watford are even more out of form than us, in fact the most out of form team in the division, I'd expect us to win either way but there's absolutely no damn excuses this weekend for anything other than 3 points and we have to be 100% at it from the off.

Gerrard has a decent enough squad here (it should be higher in the table than it is), if he has to adapt his methods temporarily until the summer so we start winning games then that's what he has to do. We can't continue on this crappy run any longer. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

The high winds are going to be a factor. 

EDIT: Aww shite, I did it again. I always wake up on Friday (my first 'day off') thinking it's Saturday. 

Forget it. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Suggestions to go back to a double pivot might work with McGinn-Luiz or Sanson-Luiz/McGinn and then 3 of Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey or Ramsey behind the striker. 

I think this might be what SG does. Instead of going with a 4-3-2-1 he might go with a 4-2-3-1 and put McGinn and Sanson in at DM and play Buendia, JJ and Couthino behind Ings. 
It gives the full backs more license to get forward knowing the two DMs are covering. And I think SG will want possession in the opposition half and that three will play narrow and hopefully retain possession looking to pick out overlapping full backs or runs off the shoulder by Ings! 

1 minute ago, Herman22 said:

I think this might be what SG does. Instead of going with a 4-3-2-1 he might go with a 4-2-3-1 and put McGinn and Sanson in at DM and play Buendia, JJ and Couthino behind Ings. 
It gives the full backs more license to get forward knowing the two DMs are covering. And I think SG will want possession in the opposition half and that three will play narrow and hopefully retain possession looking to pick out overlapping full backs or runs off the shoulder by Ings! 

I regularly see people promoting the idea of pushing JJ further forward but I dont see it myself. I have never seen him play well as a 10 or attacking midfielder. His best assett is his driving runs from deep and his good link up play with 10s. If we are to play 3 behind I striker I'd rather see Bailey come in (not that I'm advocating dropping JJ of course). Will be interesting to see whether he sticks or twists with the shape though. 

I don't think it is all the player's fault. I think Beale has got our shape a bit wrong!

Luiz needs to sit a bit deeper and JJ and SJM need to push a bit higher up. The full backs need to get forward but not as consistently high as they have been.

I personally wouldn't make any changes but wouldn't be surprised if Stevie did.

We just need to release that front 3 but stay reasonably tight defensively.

On 16/02/2022 at 11:56, MakemineVanilla said:

Exactly so!

It is based on the mistaken idea that if you buy more attacking players, the more goals you will score and the more games you'll win.

PSG seem to be a prime example of this sort of thinking.

The title-winning Leicester team proved otherwise and Chelsea's transformation under Tuchel was another example.

1,000 times yes.

Chelsea and Man City are past masters of control.....They have the personnel to help them do it.....we don't.

They buy in the personnel to achieve control.