Pre match thread

mottaloo

Coutinho will be looking out of the window this morning saying ‘Not long ago I was playing for Barca against Athletico in the Spanish sunshine. Now I’m in Birmingham playing Watford, and it’s 2 degrees with horizontal driving rain. ****.’

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Nakamba has played around 70 games for us and we’ve lost quite a few of them. He was good those four games before the injury, but why was that?

Some like the Birmingham Mail claim he was ”transformed” by Gerrard. How? Magical powers? I saw a Nakamba in great physical shape, playing the same way he always does: patrolling an area outside the box and making tackles.

It worked well because Villa in those games were set up to primarily defend. We played some difficult sides and more or less handed over possession (low 30s), defending in a tight and narrow block while the opposition passed the ball around us, sideways and out on the flanks.

Do we want to go back to playing like that? Against difficult teams we probably should and Nakamba has traditionally done well against the best teams where Villa spend much of games under attack. But do we want to hand over possession and spend most of the game defending in a tight block against teams like Watford, Burnley or even Southampton?

Gerrard says he wants us to become a more possession oriented side. We haven’t seen much of that yet. With Nakamba such a change could be even more difficult, even though he’s a great ball winner, since he’s not very comfortable is possession and definitely not when pressed (few of our players are actually).

I also look forward to Nakamba returning  but feel some have unrealistic expectations based on those four games. He will likely be the same Nakamba with strengths and weaknesses, not a player forever transformed after a few training sessions with Gerrard in November.

It’s a funny one because we have Luiz who is more comfortable in possession but limited defensively and Marv who is physical and tackles well but is so basic on the ball. My view of what happened with Marv when Gerrard came in was his role was just simplified for him, try and break up play and give the ball out wide, and it worked fine. Douglas is better at taking the ball from the defence but I don’t think he’s anything special at it. Against Newcastle our only luck in the first half came when Mings and chambers pushed through the middle. So I actually think the role of Douglas and us keeping possession is overestimated. He has good moments from playing deep but he’s too much of a passenger in that position for me. His best game for us this season was against city and Marv played in the middle in that game. I don’t think Marvs a long term solution at all, but I think we’ll benefit from having him in the middle and worrying about who plays either side of him. 

Feels like a typical awful weather, awful game and 1-1 type of day.

Can see us getting an early goal but with general lack of confidence just sitting back and Watford getting a late equaliser. And yes will be boos and dissent at end if that happens so this is a proper test for Gerrard now. I wish him luck.