Calum Chambers

His Name Is Death

56 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Against a team like Norwich, he's excellent. They don't have the attackers to give him a hard time and he can show off his good technique on the ball. He's not a good enough defender to be first choice against top half opposition, but he's a very useful squad option. 

The question for me is where does this leave Konsa? 

Yeah I agree I think Chambers is a very decent squad player and is more than capable of doing a solid job in most games for us but can’t see him being a first choice solution in the long term. When he’s been first choice before it’s been at Middlesbrough and Fulham - relegated both times, not that it’s his fault but I don’t think he has that extra bit of quality that’s going to push us up closer to the European places. 

As for Konsa, he’s got to up his game. He is still young so has a lot more to come. I’d like us to sign a new top class centre half and then Mings,  Konsa and Chambers fighting it out for the second centre back spot.

• Like 1

On 13/02/2022 at 16:05, lexicon said:

Terrible mistake for the goal today. 

Positioning and concentration let us down again for their goal......good job we was 0-3 up.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Positioning and concentration let us down again for their goal......good job we was 0-3 up.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

He gave us more balance today.

It's interesting really because he didn't play very well today IMO but I agree re: the balance he gave us. Kinda like he was sacrificed for the greater good of the team or something.

• Like 1

On 30/04/2022 at 17:35, HanoiVillan said:

Didn't like this signing in January, but he's been pretty impressive and better than Konsa for me. Okay, it was an easy opponent, but another clean sheet as well.

Daft yellow mind you.

Traditionally, its hasn't been an easy opponent for centre backs....they have a reputation for being aggressive in the air....and Weghorst is no slouch with that.

I am with you, better than Konsa at present.

I just think we outclassed them generally, was the difference yesterday.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Calum Chambers wasn't on the pitch. And did you mean to quote a comment from February!! 😛

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

It's interesting really because he didn't play very well today IMO but I agree re: the balance he gave us. Kinda like he was sacrificed for the greater good of the team or something.

paradoxically you are right,imo

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

Calum Chambers wasn't on the pitch. And did you mean to quote a comment from February!! 😛

Sorry, I was responding to another post......I didn't mean it was Calums fault.

It was a general observation.

apologies for misleading.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CVByrne said:

He's been a great addition. Very astute business and his versatility is just superb to have. He has played a huge amount at RB too. 

He can take over the "utility man" role from Ashley Young...

1 hour ago, TomC said:

He can take over the "utility man" role from Ashley Young...

Ash has played RB, LB, CM, LF and AMC (10). I'm sure he could play CDM too if he was asked

That's a level of versatility even Chambers can't match

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Ash has played RB, LB, CM, LF and AMC (10). I'm sure he could play CDM too if he was asked

That's a level of versatility even Chambers can't match

How well has he played in each of those roles? Genuine question...

Chambers offers way more defensively,  and young just doesn't seem to have the pace or skill going forwards on the occasions I've seen him getting in to the opposition third. 

• Like 1

Can't complain for a free transfer. But I really only see chambers as a back up player. I seem to be in the minority who didn't think he had a particular good game on the weekend. First half especially he seemed a bit lost, uncomfortable on the ball and his lack of mobility doesn't suit for DCM. I assumed he was thrown in to be another big guy to challenge Burnley's set pieces but he didn't stand out for me on Saturday. That said, he's proven to be a steady enough CB when called upon, but not what I want at DCM. I also understand he isn't expected to be a starter in this position. Decent enough squad player for cover at best.

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 2

I really looked forward to seeing him as the holding/defensive midfielder, we need a new player at that position, he has a lot of the attributes for that position and he was great in that position for Fulham some years ago. Was a bit disappointed though, thought he was sow on the turn and not as tidy in passing as I would have expected. Perhaps he was a bit rusty and can improve, but I don't see him as a long term solution in that position (sadly). Great to have as an utility player who can cover there or in the back line though, and at really good value.

Think that knee injury put an end to his career as a DCM. Just like it did for Mings as a LB.

Chambers feels like a really good squad player thou. And for that price he is a steal.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

Â