Lucas Digne

villan-scott

Does concern me that we're now in the business of spending £20M+ on players late 20s starting with Ings. They're not on the way up and will be on super high wages as they start to decline. 

Don't get why the step change

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dale said:

Does concern me that we're now in the business of spending £20M+ on players late 20s starting with Ings. They're not on the way up and will be on super high wages as they start to decline. 

Gerrard needs to show he can take Villa to the next level within the next 1-3 years (if he has aspirations to move up the management ladder), to do this its reasonable to think he will be going for older, more fully developed players to try and do so.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dale said:

Stagnation, relegation and mid-table mediocrity for two or three generations might be why.

2 minutes ago, Dale said:

We'll get 5 years out of Digne. 

• Like 1

Lb has been an issue for us since I started following the club it seems. Targett largely changed that but now looks like we even get to upgrade him. Good signing 

Interesting. They want £25m. I'd assume we'd manage to get him around £20m.

If we managed to get him for £5-10m + AEG I'd be very happy. Wouldn't feel like such a big outlay on a late 20s player then. 

He's a big improvement for us either way but that would help settle any lingering issues on the cost.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dale said:

In order to progress, we need immediate quality. The reality is that players that the likes of Barcelona can sign aged 25 aren't going to come to Villa just yet.

This is our compromise to build a team that the best players will want to play for. Having Gerrard at the helm is also a massive boost to our recruitment aims.

Signing a few older players isn't doing an Everton, lots of teams sign one or two older players not just Everton so not sure why're we're in particular being compared to them, besides Ings, Digne, and Coutinho are all in their late twenties that's hardly old.

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

Interesting. They want £25m. I'd assume we'd manage to get him around £20m.

If we managed to get him for £5-10m + AEG I'd be very happy. Wouldn't feel like such a big outlay on a late 20s player then. 

He's a big improvement for us either way but that would help settle any lingering issues on the cost.

Imagine we managed to bin off AEG as part of this deal. Be magic

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We'll get 5 years out of Digne. 

Agreed CVByrne, and in today's modern prices, approx £20m ish plus add ons isn't that bad at all for a player literally in his prime years. We paid about 15m ish all-in for Targett anyway and this guy is an upgrade for a few mill more. This is definitely a positive move.

Add to this that he apparently wanted to come here, when other destinations have been possible. Digne wants in.

• Like 1

Â