Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Be interesting to know Gerrard's thoughts about this one and if he had his time again would he sign him. He's gave himself a real headache now and not a good one.

I think he's probably realised this isn't the Coutinho he remembers. He's had absolute flashes of brilliance no doubt but I think was an ego signing from Purslow and a rose tint one from Gerrard.

It's probably cost us the best part 10m in wages and fees already. To go with the Tuanzebe deal...

We can't keep doing this.  We really can't.

"Villa. Coutinho. If you can sign a player like that it's a no brainer."

The club has really got to start being smarter. 

Gerrard has already said he wants to make the deal permanent.

If Gerrard doesn't think he can get Coutinho and Buendia in the same team then it's a no from me, your not going to keep them both happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

I think the issue is not Coutinho vs Buendia

It's the overall balance of the midfield.

I think we could actually play Coutinho and Buendia - because Buendia does a lot of tracking and tackling, but we couldn't play them both as well as Jacob Ramsey because JR doesn't really have a defensive brain or track/tackle that well. So the three of them in the team doesn't work.

I would argue JR and Coutinho playing together doesn't work either unless you have someone like Tim, Nakamba or Ramsey to do some of the donkey work at the back.

If McGinn and Luiz could do an effective defensive job then it might be different and even though I think both of them are good at tracking and tackling, they don't win enough physical battles especially in the air.

I think this is a top post. I really noticed that McGinn & Luiz were not as attacking as Ramsey is usually, and I think that allowed for Buendia to have more freedom. 

(oh and JR & Ramsey are the same person)

12 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

I think the issue is not Coutinho vs Buendia

It's the overall balance of the midfield.

I think we could actually play Coutinho and Buendia - because Buendia does a lot of tracking and tackling, but we couldn't play them both as well as Jacob Ramsey because JR doesn't really have a defensive brain or track/tackle that well. So the three of them in the team doesn't work.

I would argue JR and Coutinho playing together doesn't work either unless you have someone like Tim, Nakamba or Ramsey to do some of the donkey work at the back.

If McGinn and Luiz could do an effective defensive job then it might be different and even though I think both of them are good at tracking and tackling, they don't win enough physical battles especially in the air.

Yeah if we have a CDM who sits in front of defence that leaves more space centrally for a Buendia to drop deep to link play allowing the 8s and Coutinho to make the runs forward. I think a full pre season will be key for the Coutinho / Buendia in the two 10s roles to work. 

I think when we have that new CB and CDM we should have advanced our playing from the back ability significantly and also our weakness in conceding on the counter. 

48 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I really hope we keep him. Seems like such a great character to have around the place and is talented as hell. 

Seems a really great guy no ego despite his massive talent. Gerrard I see to go with the above comment said he wants both.

It's not his money though and it doesn't make any financial sense to drop the finances on this one on a player I don't see being the main guy next year.

If we get Coutinho for 30 mill and pay the sort of wages around 150k - then while he's expensive, he isn't a club record purchase - he doesn't need to be the spearhead of the team - get him in. 

• Like 2

His purchase price was never the problem, it his wages. Would he sign for £150k a week and take a cut from his £480k? I doubt it tbh, he will go to the club who can pay the highest wages. 

He's a great player , so easy on the eye , but two quality midfielders on 75k each would be my preference and would improve us far more than Coutinho. With Beundia playing like he did on Saturday I doubt he would even be starting.......would he? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

How reliable it is I'm not sure.

But if that price is true, Gerrard played a blinder by getting Coutinho to play shit on purpose for two months to drive the price down :ph34r:

Pretty sure they were pretty decent with the details in January when we were in talks. Absolute bargain if true!! Less transfer fee more wages? Not that I mind!

11 hours ago, tinker said:

His purchase price was never the problem, it his wages. Would he sign for £150k a week and take a cut from his £480k? I doubt it tbh, he will go to the club who can pay the highest wages. 

He's a great player , so easy on the eye , but two quality midfielders on 75k each would be my preference and would improve us far more than Coutinho. With Beundia playing like he did on Saturday I doubt he would even be starting.......would he? 

He has done that once and it turned into a complete disaster for him.  I think he will sign for the team that can offer him the most playing time and possibly that will be likely to finish higher in the table / more likely to play in Europe.

I still think that we can play Buendia and Coutinho behind a central striker - but that means strengthening the midfield three behind them.  If we can get a quality CM in place who offers more control than the ones we currently have and also protects our defenders better then I think Buendia and Coutinho will get more time and space to work their magic.

Â