Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

34 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We’ve got the deal that we’ve got and the market will have largely dictated the price.

In any case I’m not sure it matters much to me, or more importantly the long term aspirations of the club, whether it cost us £5m or £7.5m. It is a pittance compared to the signal of intent it sends across world football. 

We’ve arrived.

He needs to not flop for that.

I think it's very unlikely he flops.

Have we ever signed a player with a higher international profile who wasn’t definitely already way past their best? 

Really hope he’s coming back at least close to the player that left the premier league, if he does this could be a seminal moment for us in terms of now move forward as a club.

I can’t recall seeing him in interviews but does anyone know what kind of level his English is at? 

We could feasibly see 6 months of a rejuvanated PC, signed up for a further 3 years in the summer, then potentially he goes to the world cup and wins that with Brazil and then comes back to Brum - the timing of all this is quite something.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Hmm. Interesting. It’s weird no main publications or guys like Fab have mentioned it.

i think its a copy pasta from some other stupid report.

This twitter account said yesterday it was to be an 18 month loan, which i think was also copied from elsewhere.

Wouldnt pay too much heed tbh.

• Thanks 1

Just now, The_Steve said:

Absolutely no way the club would accept another team having first option also. Utterly bizarre claim. 

Exactly. Loan with an option for Spurs to buy? We just aren't that stupid....

... anymore.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozvillafan said:

Exactly. Loan with an option for Spurs to buy? We just aren't that stupid....

... anymore.

Wouldn’t put it past Levy to try to piggyback on every loan deal with an option to buy.

The club that loans the player takes all the risk, then Spurs can swoop in and sign the player on the permanent deal if he does well whilst out on loan.

As you say though, we’re not that stupid.

I think it speaks volumes that Gerrards first signing was someone like Coutinhio…

Thats a statement of intent… A player of proper calibre…

Gerrard knows him and visa-versa… They know what they expect from eachother and both want one thing - success…

As much as I love Dean Smith and I will thank him until the day my blood runs cold for what he has done for our football club… He does not have (and probably will not ever have) the influence and “managerial clout” to make these kind of signings…

• Like 4

6 hours ago, robby b said:

Spanish football rent a gob and all round lard-arse, know-nothing clearing in the woods Guillem Balague has said he doesn't think Coutinho will succeed back in the PL. Come on Phillipe, prove him wrong !

FTFY

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just a small observation from the Barca announcement. They say he will travel in the next few hours (from yesterday morning), whereas we said 48 hours. So hopefully he’s already out of isolation and in Birmingham doing medical/media etc so we may see more on this today tomorrow 🤞 need the excitement fix following the last few days, and Mrs Villan-Scott isn’t playing!

The spurs thing makes no sense 

Levy will have paid barca money for joint first dibs on a player that I will assume at least in part chose to come to villa? Does that sound like Levy? 

Or barca gave them joint first dibs for free? Does that sound like barca? 

Or we paid €8m and the wage percentage that we wanted because spurs have effectively topped our offer up and we are confident enough to let them join in

Means that if his health and head are right and we want him we've got to time our bid right, buy him before the season ends rather than let him have a good 6 months, spurs have a good 6 months and then have the argument in the summer 

£800k to the agent - word removed 

Edited by villa4europe

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The spurs thing makes no sense 

Levy will have paid barca money for joint first dibs on a player that I will assume at least in part chose to come to villa? Does that sound like Levy? 

Or barca gave them joint first dibs for free? Does that sound like barca? 

Or we paid €8m and the wage percentage that we wanted because spurs have effectively topped our offer up and we are confident enough to let them join in

Means that if his health and head are right and we want him we've got to time our bid right, buy him before the season ends rather than let him have a good 6 months, spurs have a good 6 months and then have the argument in the summer 

£800k to the agent - word removed 

I'm not sure legally how Spurs could have such an agreement, I've never seen this kind of option to buy for a player a team isn't loaning before.

So I'm calling BS, if there is anything in it I'd imagine it would be more of a "gentleman's agreement" type thing.

Sadly, 800k agent fee is actually pretty low these days.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I'm not sure legally how Spurs could have such an agreement, I've never seen this kind of option to buy for a player a team isn't loaning before.

So I'm calling BS, if there is anything in it I'd imagine it would be more of a "gentleman's agreement" type thing.

Raiola wouldn’t even get out of bed for that. 

18 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

We'll never know cos we'll never see the exact wording but I would guess the word first isn't written in it

If villas contractual agreement is that we can buy him at an agreed €40m at any time then I don't see why spurs can't have that exact same agreement, it wouldn't contradict ours 

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He needs to not flop for that.

I think it's very unlikely he flops.

Really ?

We are buying a player who fews years back was amongst the very elite in world football.

We have now secured such a player for a very nominal outlay. That said the expectation (rightly or wrongly)  is that he is something approaching the Liverpool player of 4 seasons ago. If he is then villa have achieved what Barca couldn't and other big clubs didn't think they could do. PC recapturing that form.

Of course he might not recapture that form - but still be a better option for us than Bailey, AEG , etc. 

Really hope he becomes one of the best players in the world again but imo there is a good possibility he doesn't. At the reported outlay though it's worth the gamble.

Â