Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

There's no more 'give him time'. No more 'give him signings' or 'give him a pre-season'. I'd genuinely sack him after that showing. 100%. I'd rather see Critchley, Beale or even Dean Smith have another crack.

Just now, av1 said:

I’ve finally lost faith. 

1) We have no style of play. 

2) Mings is better than Konsa.

3) Beundia is better than Coutinho 

4) Our worst midfielder has been made captain. 

This Bournemouth result is awful. Though Watford went down last season I thought they were very good on the first game last season and deserved the win. I don’t see the same thing today, I just see one poor team betting another. 

This is shit. 

I agree with every word.

He's not getting sacked after a game, we'd be a laughing stock, but he's a dead man walking if he doesn't make some significant improvements very quickly. 

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Critchley is more of a manager than Gerrard is.

Put him in charge.

Well yeah Gerrard doesn't actually do anything. Just plays his mates. Doesn't even **** coach.

Stealing a living. Not a coach. No style of player.

"Manager" apparently. Paid about 3m above his worth because his pal is part owner.

The club stinks.

Gerrard talks shit.

He never sounded convincing to me.

He personally, may have high standards, but that on its own is not enough.

He can't bring people with him and persuade them of his vision.

Reputation is important, but it's not enough. He's not likeable.

W.A.N.K.

What worries me is that he already has his favorites. Ramsey has offered nothing for ages, yet starts every game, McGinn plays 90 minutes no matter what, preferring Coutinho to Buendia etc. Worrying stuff.

Also found it a bit worrying that he "ditched" his formation after only 45 minutes in the first game of the season, have we ever played with just 2 midfielders under Gerrard? I don't see what we are trying to do on the pitch, I don't see how we are going to score goals, unless individuals do something spectacular. Terrible start that mirrors last season

• Like 1

I can take an opening day defeat. Always weird results this early in the season.

But we’ve gone into this game with everything in place, in terms of personnel, fitness, etc, for a really good season - and we look shite.

I’m not convinced Gerrard has the ideas or the tactical understanding to lead this club to where we want to be. Even as a player he always seemed like raw ability and fighting spirit rather than a natural reader of the game.

I like his attitude, and all the signings he’s made, and definitely happy to give him a chance up to Christmas. But this is the premier league, the managers he’s coming up against half the time are world class. It’s a massive step up from the SPL, and anyone who thought otherwise was deluded.

• Like 2

2 wins from the last 12 Premier league games (Burnley and Norwich), 9 points out of the 12 games.

The squad is excellent on paper now and I hope the owners are as ruthless with Gerard as they were with Deano if this trend doesn’t quickly reverse, particularly as there has been further investment.

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

As @Daweii kind of said in the match thread how would you describe how Steven Gerrards Villa play football?

Because I honestly don't know what the answer is

At least with Smith we could say we pass the ball to grealish 

It's a roll your sleeves up side with a proper lad as captain that tries to be at it most weeks and show great character and give it 110% and battle for every ball and be a good teammate side 

Basically. We have no style of play no clue. A stubborn brexit Barry in charge who thinks it's 1999 who doesn't coach doesn't have a style of play but has a great aura and was a great character.

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

As @Daweii kind of said in the match thread how would you describe how Steven Gerrards Villa play football?

Because I honestly don't know what the answer is

At least with Smith we could say we pass the ball to grealish 

Today had echoes of 15/16. Some interesting names on team sheet but awful quality on pitch. Memories of Hutton being given free reign to run down the right and teams just letting him cross out of play. Midfield not being able to control play at all.

Hopefully we'll beat Everton and get some optimism going but this has been a very depressing watch and little chance we trouble any of the top teams with this style.

Â