Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

54 minutes ago, Zatman said:

One managed 11 games and One managed 27 games

Both got us 14th

Indeed. I believe he has16 games before the break which is nearly half a season. So as mentioned before if we are 14th after these games and points wise closer to bottom 3 than top 8 he’ll probably be sacked.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Indeed. I believe he has16 games before the break which is nearly half a season. So as mentioned before if we are 14th after these games and points wise closer to bottom 3 than top 8 he’ll probably be sacked.

The only way I can see him being sacked is if there’s a top replacement available. Personally I think he’s got the team to finish top 10 minimum

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Doubt it. That would be Purslow admitted he's shit the bed.

I think we could be as low as 16th and he'll stay.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lexicon said:

Of course - I don't think there's anyone who'd argue that Gerrard isn't a pull for players and has enabled us to sign players who we might not have done otherwise. 

@TRO too as this relates to your point as well. Relationships in business and life are, of course important too - no argument from me. I've had plenty of work and got jobs because of people I know, same as most people on the planet. 

Just because I think Gerrard would've been lower on the list doesn't mean that I think he was 100% unqualified for the job and Purslow's just hired his mate, I'm not saying that, but that relationship definitely played a big part.

for sure.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

If we finsh 16th.....He will walk, he wouldn't need the sack.

The biggest driving force behind SG, is himself....If he can't achieve what he wants to achieve, he won't hang around.

He knows where he wants to go with us, and he will take us there kicking and screaming, if he has to.

My only concern, or doubt is.......can we stand up to the bullies, can we negate the Press, can we circumnavigate teams who just want to disrupt, or negate our talent.

I don't know the answer to that just yet.

This squad of ours has loads of talent, thats not my concern......but are they able to let that talent shine, I am yet to find out.

I think Bournemouth WILL be a hard game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Thank goodness the new season starts tomorrow.

We can get away from historic feelings about SG and base our praise or criticism on the current evidence of our own eyes.

Christ, yes please.

27 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

No he won't.

Right. OK.

But you just said Gerrard will drag us to success?

The players are good enough. The biggest question mark around Aston Villa is undoubtedly the inexperienced manager who's been given the resources many managers would thrive with. Gerrard should as well. 

It's not far off as easy as you'll get in this league. Their manager just said they're "way short of where we need to be".

Anything other than a win is a bad result. I'd prefer a good performance.

you seem to be assuming , we just go out there and start spraying balls around to out hearts content.

They might not have our talent......but they can still negate our intent.....if we don't match them physiclly.

Good performance for me means talent on show + a good dollop of application......one without the other, won't do.

12 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

What would u prefer a good performance to? A loss or a draw? I would prefer 3 points and a crap performance to dropping points and a good performance

Nah. Not at this stage of the season for me. I'd like to see something encouraging for the season.

If we need it to win a trophy or something, obviously I'll take a rotten 1-0 win with the ref scoring the winner. That's not a repeatable thing and poor performances will only make me think we're wasting our time with Gerrard.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Perfect press conference. Everything has aligned perfectly for him this summer. He admits we have to improve on our inconsistencies from last season. It's all coming together nicely for him and I hope he smashes it this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

By sounds of the press conference Gerrard made the call with Carney. Didn't want him in the camp if he hadn't committed to club. Sounds like Carney might have just been holding out to get the wages he wanted and a line was drawn the club can't give in to making an 18 among the top paid players at the club after just 2 starts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Managers never walk. Too much compensation when sacked.

I had a look at the most recent example of a top flight manager leaving on his own accord, in particular falling on his sword when it hasn’t worked out.

The most recent example I could find was David Moyes leaving after Sunderland were relegated in 2017. That reads like it was a mutual thing, with Moyes not receiving any compensation. I don’t know if that’s right, but the lack of anything else suggests to me that when Gerrard does leave, it likely won’t be because he’s resigned because of poor results.

Of course I’m both sure and hopeful this is all academic and by this time tomorrow we’ll be on our way to the first of many victories of the season under Gerrard. The first three games look relatively kind, seven points from those would be a good to very good start (depending on the manner, I suppose).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I mean he's got Gerrard to come here and attract players. Coutinho, Digne, Kamara and most likely Carlos wouldn't have signed for us without Gerrard that gives us a better foundation for the future whether we sack Gerrard or not. 

Â