Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Coutinho, Digne, Kamara and most likely Carlos wouldn't have signed for us without Gerrard

I'll have to disagree.

These are players that would be attracted by a proven manager as well.

Gerrard having clearly more pull than Smith doesn't mean he was the only one that could replace him and sign good players.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'll have to disagree.

Gerrard having clearly more pull than Smith doesn't mean he was the only one that could replace him and sign good players.

Who should we have appointed that was attainable that could’ve swayed these players to sign? Just curious.

7 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

He seemed a bit nervous in the presser. Cynical of me but I read his note of "Tyrone and Emi Buendia had a little knock in training but are available" is a signal he wont be starting either but I guess we shall see.

He kind of gave up the game when he said that he hopes that Tyrone could focus more on his game (post-captaincy loss) so he could get into the team. He tried to save it by adding that you're not a guaranteed starter whether you're captain or vice captain. Tyrone is neither 🙃

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Who should we have appointed that was attainable that could’ve swayed these players to sign? Just curious.

I will come back to you on this when I can. Previous post got deleted on it. Good options were available IMO.

I hope I can't be arsed in a few weeks because we're three for three and looking the absolute business.

UTV and Up the Gerrard.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I will come back to you on this when I can. Previous post got deleted on it. Good options were available IMO.

I hope I can't be arsed in a few weeks because we're three for three and looking the absolute business.

UTV and Up the Gerrard.

v9wNkq.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I'll have to disagree.

Yep. Bailey was a coup. Gerrard wasn't there doing keepy uppies to impress him. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

What! Gerrard? 

Didn't know that. Sliding doors.

He wouldn't have fitted in well there as they probably wouldn't have let him change the transfer policy.

You keep saying this, what evidence is there Gerrard has changed the transfer policy?
Maybe the club has, there is evidence that occurred when St. Dean was in charge with  the Ings, Buendia and Bailey signings, all big fees and probably big wages.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jim said:

You keep saying this, what evidence is there Gerrard has changed the transfer policy?
Maybe the club has, there is evidence that occurred when St. Dean was in charge with  the Ings, Buendia and Bailey signings, all big fees and probably big wages.

Of those only Ings was over 26. Under Gerrard, we've signed Digne, Coutinho, Carlos and Chambers who will be unlikely to recoup much of a fee on the way out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

John Percy said it:

It was very obvious though.

Don't hate it myself as long it comes with instant/very quick success. Otherwise you may as well have signed younger players who cost less, earn less, and who you can still sell if you lose your need for them in the squad.

Were still developing young players though, Archer , Iroegbunam  , Kessler and Feeney all involved in the first team, Ramsey already a established first teamer and Kamara a Gerrard signing only 22.

10 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Were still developing young players though, Archer , Iroegbunam  , Kessler and Feeney all involved in the first team, Ramsey already a established first teamer and Kamara a Gerrard signing only 22.

Yep. Maybe he's decided it's better off bringing in old heads if there's some serious quality in the youth.

Absolutely fine if we progress immediately.

I feel this season is the first in a long time where we have no one else to blame if we don't perform.

There have always been (valid) excuses ex. squad rebuild, shit pre season, Jack leaving etc.

This time the manager has had half a season to experiment, only key additions to squad, players joined early in the window and a full pre season with matches against decent teams.

Hope we start strong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

I feel this season is the first in a long time where we have no one else to blame if we don't perform.

There have always been (valid) excuses ex. squad rebuild, shit pre season, Jack leaving etc.

This time the manager has had half a season to experiment, only key additions to squad, players joined early in the window and a full pre season with matches against decent teams.

Hope we start strong.

No doubt the world cup break will be much harder for us than for everyone else, for whatever reason.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Hooooooof! Boring football! Sad thing is Purslow won't be sacking him even if we lost 10 on the bounce! 

He'll be out at the World Cup break if we are not solidly challenging for top half.  Poch will be our new manager.

Get out of my club.

Didn't enjoy last season one bit. £150 pound extra this year just to watch the same shite with the same guy promoted about £3m a year above his ability just because he's a mate to play players just because they are a mate to hire staff just because they are a mate. To watch the same shite week and week and pay 25% more for it and sit in traffic for 3 hours on a Saturday to watch a side coached ineptly by an absolute personality vacuum.

Get the **** out of my club.

Â