Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

20 hours ago, blandy said:

The thing with that line is that Gerrard's system doesn't create a lot of chances for the players to finish. With limited scoring opportunities, there's more pressure to score each time, there's a drop in confidence for the strikers because they're not getting many if any chances in most games, and so they're not scoring. It's chicken and egg, really.

And prior to this alleged abandonment of a more progressive approach, the team wasn't playing fluid creative football either. It hasn't been doing so for a year or more, now, really, with the odd exception.

It's the job of Gerrard and his coaches to both find a system of play that suits the players available and to select the team to make that system work.

Gerrard does have an alternative to shutting up shop. He has as many alternative as he wants. The options are basically infinite for systems, for tactics, for selection even. He could give more time to youngsters like Archer, if the criticism is of the current striker selection. He could (and has) tried both 2 up top and one. He could play a winger(s), he could use different midfield combos, he could play 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, he could play wing backs. He's got loads of options.

• firstly, they created 19 chances against Leeds.....without success.
  • secondly, in the precarious position we have left oursleves, from the turgid start, remedial action of not losing games is required to A) Keep himself employed and B to avoid the bottom 3
  • Totally agree with your second Paragraph Pete, I would say for over 2years, other than the odd games.
  • I would agree, it is the job of Gerrard and the coaches to find a way for us to play more progressively, but How long that takes, I don't know....it took Graham Potter over 2 years to get any kind of convincing results and Patrick Viera has won 17 games in 52, but both seem to be revered, as to Gerrard, constantly fighting for his job.
  • As for the last line, His judgment will be tested to how many feasible options he has, he can't change the players he has until January.....and playing different systems is debatable, if it effects results.....Dean Smith was also searching with system changes to find consistency and 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 had varying degree's of success, but nothing set in tablets of Stone.....The big thing for Dean, was losing Jack in my honest opinion, and possibly John Terry.

In my opinion, we have used rakes of combinations under 2 managers, and still, we find consistency elusive.....I think Dean and Steve have made mistakes, and I can understand the fans who think Dean could have still been here, with what Steve has produced, it has been no better.

However, I think CDM was a massive  trick been missed, under Deans stewardship, and it too us yonks and a manager with a higher profile to attract a well sought after version, albeit cruel luck has robbed us of his services.......I also think Diego Carlos would have proved to be a huge upgrade by now, only to be robbed of him too....so his 2 marquee signings wiped out, from settling in with us.....I can't dismiss that as, oh well, it happens.

I also think we have a problem up front where for me, Ollie clearly misses the chances laid on by Jack, as for Danny, maybe a different problem, but same outcome.....neither are SG signings, but I accept they are his responsibility.

I think you will know by now.....I am not as convinced as many on here that systems, tactics or selection, is our saviour, even if I respect, that some are more conducive than others.....i.e attacking full backs are not my bag, I am a defend first attack second man, so I don't agree with SG on that, and I am not as enamered as some with Lucas Digne as Targets replacement....something else, I am at odds with Gerrard over.

I think the options he has are questionable.....I am chomping at the bit for Cam to be given a run, but is it fair to put so much pressure on him right now, when we are scrapping for points and the manager, wants to stay in his job and experience is probably prudent.....catch 22, I know, but what would we do?

I am not saying, he won't lose this job.....but I think its only fair, while he is still in the chair, to support him.....until the club, with far more info, than us on his tenure, decides on his future.

We can easily look at clubs, who have pressed the button, but what about those that have kept their nerve too.....I don't hear of Viera being under pressure, despite them being below us.....and since Arteta, has signed a pucker front man in Jesus, they are flying too, after a dicky spell, where the pitchforks, were out.

I am not suggesting for one minute Pete, SG is beyond question, far from it......but i do feel, we are going through choppy waters, where decisions of the past, have come home to roost, and its going to take time, and money to correct it.

I think, Kamara, Carlos and Coutinho ( despite his inconsistency) are quality signings, to move us on, shame the injuries have just scuppered the chance to prove it.

I hope the owners have the confidence, to provide a few more players, who can make that difference, and not just make up the numbers.

I feel more time is required.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, blandy said:

In the entertainment industries the customers/audiences are the thing that determines success or failure. Music industry drops acts that don't sell. Actors get roles because they sell tickets to films, Football clubs sack managers when the crowd turns for a period, and particularly when the anger starts turning towards the owners and board and execs.

Gerrard is clearly under pressure because of results and because of performances. It's those two things that have caused supporters to become disenchanted. It's results and performances that will do for him, the ire of supporters is a consequence of results, not the direct cause of dismissals, IMO.

I know what does happen......I am questioning whether it should.......I think the examples you make, are interesting, but not quite the same, imo.

There was 53 pages on here Pete, that was mainly opposed to Gerrards signing, before a ball was kicked in anger, so, I take  "some" of the gerrard compalints with a pinch of salt.

Gerrard is naturally under pressure and even he gets that, as I do.....I know and you do, that, if performances and results improve, so will his job prospects, with us.......but don't be alarmed, if a fair sway of fans, will still not be satisfied.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I know what does happen......I am questioning whether it should.......I think the examples you make, are interesting, but not quite the same, imo.

There was 53 pages on here Pete, that was mainly opposed to Gerrards signing, before a ball was kicked in anger, so, I take  "some" of the gerrard compalints with a pinch of salt.

Gerrard is naturally under pressure and even he gets that, as I do.....I know and you do, that, if performances and results improve, so will his job prospects, with us.......but don't be alarmed, if a fair sway of fans, will still not be satisfied.

If those complaints were about Gerrard's character or personality, should he turn out to have one, then that's fair enough but if those complaints were about his inexperience, inflexibility, quality of coaching or that his appointment foretold a lack of ambition by the club, the surely those complaints were warranted?

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

This is sad. Who is Steven Gerrard to you to make you relinquish all your agency as a Villa fan? Being a good player 15 years ago makes people start talking like this about their relationship with the club. Incredible.

Steven Gerrard is nothing to me, or Steve Bruce either, but when I see comments that are unfair, i thinks its right to respond......and I think some are bandwagon designed.....some have valid points, I concede on that, but some are well, meh.

I don't care if SG Loses his job....so what, 2 billionaires, hire a new one......we then go rinse and repeat......and when we find some of the things are still with us.....and we go oh, maybe that wasn't him.....but all the disruption sets us back.

I am not claiming to be holier than thou......but I have seen so many managers, unfairly criticised, over the years......because its an easy cop out.

7 minutes ago, picicata said:

If those complaints were about Gerrard's character or personality, should he turn out to have one, then that's fair enough but if those complaints were about his inexperience, inflexibility, quality of coaching or that his appointment foretold a lack of ambition by the club, the surely those complaints were warranted?

why the smug remark to start with?

but thats prejudging surely, and as its turned out so far, you are in the pound seats........but what if we won every other match, and all that prejudging was unfounded, what then.

run to the keyboard to apologise.......yeah, and that is pie in the sky, isn't it?

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

but thats prejudging surely, and as its turned out so far, you are in the pound seats........but what if we won every other match, and all that prejudging was unfounded, what then.

run to the keyboard to apologise.......yeah, and that is pie in the sky, isn't it?

Surely everyone prejudged to some extent?

You look at previous facts and you extrapolate them into the new situation. He was inexperienced, he came from his first job in a lesser league and had no experience managing a club in our situation. He was inflexible, he was known to only set his team out one way whilst at Rangers. He was known to be hands off in terms of coaching, hence why people said we would need Beale to come with Gerrard. The club choosing a manager of so little experience and proof of ability does suggest a lack of ambition.

If he had come in and won every other game then pretty much every fan would be singing his praises, I certainly would. Sadly he has, so far, proved every fear correct.

Still, before every game I hope 'this could be the one, this could be the game that it clicks and doubters are shown why Gerrard was chosen by our management '. I'll have that hope on Monday evening but certainly no expectation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I feel more time is required.

He’s clearly going to get a bit more time. Thanks for your reply too, Paul. I can see where you’re coming from, even if I don’t completely share your view, but it’s reasoned.

My opinion is that the appointment was a risk and so far it’s one that doesn’t look like working out. Maybe perseverance may turn out to be right and we’ll reap the rewards, though I am very sceptical. My basic concern is not around, kind of, “he picks this player instead of that player”, or “that formation is wrong”, more that he’s getting out thought by the opposition managers. The players are a very decent squad, though a couple of key players are currently injured, they’re playing for each other, but the team looks dulled and inhibited as a collective compared to their abilities. Better managers make teams look better than the sum of their parts, Gerrard makes them look worse than the sum of their parts. I wish him well, genuinely, but the flip side is I have no faith at all in him to turn it round. It’s tedious to watch, it’s too expensive, the trains are ****, and I’m glad that after the price increase of nearly 50% in my season ticket I binned it off. I thought I might regret it, but quite the opposite.  There’s no joy.

• Like 1

On 06/10/2022 at 13:34, IrishVilla10 said:

Beale doing very well at QPR is no surprise

He is a very smart football man who I'm sure will end up managing in the Premier 

Lets debate- if you was offered these two choices what option would you take?

Option 1) 1 Point against Forest but Gerrard stays on
Option 2) 0 Points against Forest but Gerrard gets the sack 

Edited by messi11

11 hours ago, Dale said:

Smith was the last decent manager we had. We got a cup final, a promotion an 11th place finish on enough points to see us top half most seasons. Prior to that, you cam make arguments that Lambert did a good job with the resources but the club ground him down. 

At the moment we've got Tim Sherwood without the positivity and goals. 

I was responding to someone who brought up previous managers of an earlier time...

Ultimately Dean Smith couldn't survive the run he was on at Villa without Grealish.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
Typo

Just now, messi11 said:

Surely depends who next manager would be. I don’t by this ‘anybody could do better’ talk.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Intrested to see what @Xela @Paul33 @PussEKatt @The_Steve @romavillan and @jim pick. I guess the 1 point.

Edited by messi11

4 hours ago, TRO said:

what do you suggest?....what should be the line up, with this current squad?

Solutions are far more helpful, than just saying its crap....or a poor system.

we have 2 strikers, who can't score, and he hasn't signed, would it not be fair, to factor that in.

I didn’t say it was a shit system.  I said it was the system shit mangers revert to when they have ran out of ideas.  Its safe and gives the fans the illusion you are trying  something different when all you are doing is fumbling around in the dark. Why not stay with 4 at back.  It’s because you are still likely to be show up you short comings, thats why 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Footballs a game of opinions - everybody who prejudged SG to be inexperienced, out of his depth and not able to move us forward were bang on

Â