Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Eventually he gets to the point that you can do all the coaching and the drills but ultimately it falls on the players to do the job. 

Hmm this might fly if there was evidence of coaching on display, that just wasn't properly being executed. An example of this would be the early Houllier days. I don't see any of that. I just see poorly thought out tactics and a lack of cohesion.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fans that aren’t going because they hate everything right now under Gerrard is understandable. It’s the season ticket holders that feel this way that have been shafted a bit. They’ve paid for their tickets so may as well go unless they are able to sell it back to club. Something that will become more and more difficult when we can’t sell out. 

Those that hate everything and are still buying tickets to go to games need to really consider why they are doing this to themselves!

it's already started. my city ticket didn't sell. whenever i listed it last season it sold within minutes

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

it's already started. my city ticket didn't sell. whenever i listed it last season it sold within minutes

Mine sold even though I don’t think we sold out. I was surprised by that. 

I agree though it won’t be as easy whilst this type of football continues under Gerrard. 

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I don't think whoever manages us we are ready for Europe, silly statements that should never have been made...

However I'd bet a pretty penny that another manager could easily have this group playing better football, scoring more goals, gaining more points and not have us worried about relegation. That manager could shape the squad and get us closer to Europe.

Stevie G has proven over the last 11 months he ain't that manager.

PS Remi Garde scraped a draw with Man City and we all know how that ended, so we need to stop using that result to support him. A broken clock is right twice a day, and all that jazz

I agree on tbe Europe thing, but i think it could be made to look conceivable by the right coach. 

This is the thing. Dean probably overachieved with the squad in the second season and we all took it as par and somewhere to kick on from (Europe here we come). Gerrard is underachieving (and has been since January (so 90% of his time here) and somehow the expectation level has adjusted down despite signing a bunch of very well paid senior players at the wrong end of their careers, presumably meant for instant success! 

• Like 3

So would we all be ok with seeing a Villa team pass the opposition to death (as per the oil barons) and win stuff, but play boring football, or...

Play more exciting stuff win a few, lose a few, win no trophy and always finish mid table...?

At the moment we are so boring to watch, yet scrape by now and again by more luck than anything else but nothing convinces me that Gerrard's "style" is going to work in the long term. I am also sure thats its not the players its the tactics and coaching that is the issue.

I have been watching the documentary re Crystal Palace and it is so clear what a good, inspirational and tactically aware a manager can do for a team - Gerrard is none of these in my humble opinion.

VTID

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Hmm this might fly if there was evidence of coaching on display, that just wasn't properly being executed. An example of this would be the early Houllier days. I don't see any of that. I just see poorly thought out tactics and a lack of cohesion.

Didnt he go through a season in Scotland unbeaten ? Or,was that the season there was no football because of covid ?

9 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Didnt he go through a season in Scotland unbeaten ? Or,was that the season there was no football because of covid ?

He did, but people will tell you that is no achievement in a two team league like Scotland even though it only happened three times before two of which were in the 19th century.

18 hours ago, CVByrne said:

If we'd beaten Bournemouth instead of losing we'd be 8th behind Newcastle on goal difference. If we'd got a 0 0 with West Ham too we'd be in 6th. 

The league is very compressed atm. I think we need to get as many points as possible by the World Cup break. Get ourselves into the top half and be within 4 or so points of 7th. Even then we're only 15 games or less than 40% through the season. Loads to play for then and use the break well hopefully

You can't just do this one way though. 

If we lost to Southampton we'd be in the bottom 3. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Mine sold even though I don’t think we sold out. I was surprised by that. 

I agree though it won’t be as easy whilst this type of football continues under Gerrard. 

Completely off topic but when I had a ST in the past I never sold games I just had to suck it up when I couldn't go, but is it easy to sell tickets normally? I know atm we're playing horrendously for an unpopular manager so demand is down but assuming we either improve or sack him by next season would it be straightforward to sell games you can't make?

I only ask as I put myself on the waiting list but think I could probably only make 40/50% of games due to work so it would help make a decision as to whether it's worth it or not. 

Apologies for off topic, to keep it relevant I really hope the board are looking at alternatives to Gerrard. It's a risk that looks like it's backfired and if our form against good teams is anything to go by we could be in real trouble after Forest unless there's a change ready 

On 04/10/2022 at 09:05, skarroki said:

I would like to give him credit for taking the armband off Mings as it seems to have relieved some of the burden from Mings and he looks very good at the back again now. I'd like to see him play alongside Bednarek in future matches.

Just to have another swipe at him though, you could say it appears the mental effects of wearing the armband are now damaging McGinn. However I'd also argue the formation and tactics are doing that and he's also looked championship standard for the best part of a year

The mental effects of being John McGinn are affecting John McGinn. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, weedman said:

Completely off topic but when I had a ST in the past I never sold games I just had to suck it up when I couldn't go, but is it easy to sell tickets normally? I know atm we're playing horrendously for an unpopular manager so demand is down but assuming we either improve or sack him by next season would it be straightforward to sell games you can't make?

I only ask as I put myself on the waiting list but think I could probably only make 40/50% of games due to work so it would help make a decision as to whether it's worth it or not. 

Apologies for off topic, to keep it relevant I really hope the board are looking at alternatives to Gerrard. It's a risk that looks like it's backfired and if our form against good teams is anything to go by we could be in real trouble after Forest unless there's a change ready 

I’ve responded in the season ticket thread mate.

Keeping it on Gerrard and the fans reaction to the football along with ticket prices. There will be opposition fans all over the ground against Man U when we play them due to so many tickets going on general sale at the moment. It’s really sad to see. 

• Thanks 2

One of my biggest concerns about Gerrard is how wasted our youth prospects are going to be unless they get game time by leaving on loan.

I'm gutted for Archer that he wasn't loaned out because if he isn't going to get minutes against 10 men when we need a goal, then when is he going to?

If you want a sell to buy plan for the club, which I think is a good thing if done correctly, then you need a manager that develops players that can actually be sold for decent money. You also need a scouting system that can find the hidden gems that the likes of Brighton can find that can make a strong impact, whether it's straight away of after one season.

I honestly don't think we have either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

He did, but people will tell you that is no achievement in a two team league like Scotland even though it only happened three times before two of which were in the 19th century.

It is an achievement. It's just not relevant to a PL team who are supposedly pushing into Europe. He could have won every game and it likely wouldn't translate over.

Â