Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

51 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Guess it's some of his old Liverpool friends in the press who'll be spinning the line he's keeping us up against the odds.

It’s his old Liverpool pal in the boardroom that’s the problem. He’s the reason he came here and the reason he’s still here.Β 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

are you an expert at false narrative?

He has said on occasions, he's made mistakes....he said "its on me"....takes a big man to say that, some past managers haven't.

If you don't like him, fair enough, but have the balls to says so, don't make stuff up.

Why do you think he says so often 'it's on me'? It's because deep down he doesn't believe it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

These things take time.....but I will almost guarantee you now.......If Ollie and Danny could find their shooting boots, from now, the landscape would change....

half these , fanciful claims would disappear......and we could get back to gradual improvement and sensible growth.

We are wallowing in self pity and negativity, due to the poor start.....and we are doing ourselves a disservice.

watch UTV podcast, it might, throw a bit of positivity, your way.

Leeds is not an easy place to go, and yet some are treating the place, with no respect......we should have won,

we should have beat Man city too.....but we need to have more respect for what is trying to be done too.

There are no easy games.....and yet the disrespect is already gaining momentum, for Nottingham Forest, we are like spoilt kids.

If we win, it will be well deserved.

I honestly think you watch a different Aston Villa to me mate, we can’t be at further spectrums at the moment and I never remember being like that before Gerrard with you.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

and we could get back to gradual improvement and sensible growth.

I assume you don’t mean under Gerrard but generally since the owners came in 4 or so years ago? Because I haven’t seen gradual improvement and sensible growth under Gerrard, in fact probably on balance we seem to be at best drifting and at worse getting worse.

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

Leeds is not an easy place to go, and yet some are treating the place, with no respect......we should have won

No Leeds isn’t an easy place to go but we aren’t picking up points well for equivalent of half a season, we played half a game against 10 men and a goalkeeper that was flapping, of course we should’ve won but between players not taking their chances and Gerrard’s poor tactics and subs we didn’t.

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

we should have beat Man city too

You’re one of the biggest advocates for this so I’m surprised you said this re the Coutinho goal which I for one disagreed with because a) Man City players stopped when the ref blew so who knows if it still would’ve gone in and b) it changes the game and so we don’t know how either team would’ve reacted. Β Goals change games and saying a goal should stand which means we would’ve won is not correct.

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

There are no easy games.....and yet the disrespect is already gaining momentum, for Nottingham Forest, we are like spoilt kids.

If we don’t beat Forest, which is a banker in my eyes for Gerrard then we are in a whole world of trouble. Β While we have to respect the league, we are supposed to be a team pushing for top ten, we need to beat the worst teams at least because we struggle against mid to elite teams.

I think Gerrard’s team beats Forest, it has to but this guy needs to go, but beating Forest will cover him to the WC unfortunately. Β Gerrard is doing just enough to save himself from the sack it seems but enough to damage Villa. Β Sad!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

These things take time.....but I will almost guarantee you now.......If Ollie and Danny could find their shooting boots, from now, the landscape would change....

half these , fanciful claims would disappear......and we could get back to gradual improvement and sensible growth.

We are wallowing in self pity and negativity, due to the poor start.....and we are doing ourselves a disservice.

Β 

It's a poor start, carrying on from a poor end to last season from Soton at home early March onwards.Β 

You can't get away with four > five months of duff form and performances in the top flight now - if you ever could.Β 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

It’s his old Liverpool pal in the boardroom that’s the problem. He’s the reason he came here and the reason he’s still here.Β 

I get that but Purslow dosen't have that much power. If NSWE wanted to sack Gerrard there's no chance he could overrule them and refuse.

Think big issue is the owners are seemingly happy with the worldwide profile Gerrard brings to us so they're willing to put up with mediocre results longer than under DS.Β 

7 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

I recall a lot of banter about how we were able to get Gerrard and Newcastle had to settle for Howe.Β Β 

I don't.

Anyone celebrating Gerrard was very overconfident. He was a ridiculous punt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I get that but Purslow dosen't have that much power. If NSWE wanted to sack Gerrard there's no chance he could overrule them and refuse.

Think big issue is the owners are seemingly happy with the worldwide profile Gerrard brings to us so they're willing to put up with mediocre results longer than under DS.Β 

Depending on how much they defer to their CEO ie Purslow. Β If Purslow (their choice to run the business day to day) is fighting Gerrard’s corner every time they question it then as owners they defer to the business leader maybe. Β We don’t know but they chose Purslow to run the business and will rely on his voice.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Depending on how much they defer to their CEO ie Purslow. Β If Purslow (their choice to run the business day to day) is fighting Gerrard’s corner every time they question it then as owners they defer to the business leader maybe. Β We don’t know but they chose Purslow to run the business and will rely on his voice.

Could be but I can't believe Wes and Nas watched the last two games and genuinely think we'll do anything with Gerrard as manager.

Can only think Purslow is telling them to give Gerrard until world cup break as then it's a full year in charge.

I think that's an error as by then it will feel like another wasted season. We'll see.

It's no good anyway lauding the owners as brilliant if they give a below par manager game after game after game when other similar clubs are sacking managers who've arguably done better than Gerrard e.g. Wolves and probably Southampton in next week.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They will rely on him for guidance, being sensible business men. Unfortunately they've ended up taking the opinion of someone who gives jobs to his mates and doesn't have much of a clue about anything football wise.Β He's slithered his way in and it'll be very difficult to remove him now.

A loss to Forest is not enough to get rid of Gerrard. It will take the crowd really going for him against Chelsea and Brentford. Hopefully it happens. The longer he's here, the more time we're wasting.

We've already lost touch with Newcastle who were well behind us when he was appointed. I'd have to check but I presume we've spent more money than them as well. Maybe the tactical Chris Wood transfer would push them ahead of us.

Γ—
Γ—
Γ‚