Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I get that but Purslow dosen't have that much power. If NSWE wanted to sack Gerrard there's no chance he could overrule them and refuse.

Think big issue is the owners are seemingly happy with the worldwide profile Gerrard brings to us so they're willing to put up with mediocre results longer than under DS. 

I think NSWE were happy with the profile bounce initially vs his limited coaching experience. But as with most things there’s a tipping point and I believe that point is close to being reached. 

Purslow I believe was the big factor in his arrival here and I think up to now has managed to swing the boardroom towards retaining him. How much of that is about Purslow backing his pal or his own personal arrogance I’m not sure but I think it’s damaging the club and that will reach a critical point, if it continues, pretty soon. 

You’re absolutely right though, the buck stops with NSWE and if they decide it’s time for SG to go then he’ll go. How much blame is attached to Purslow, for what at best has been a wasted 12 months, may also have some significance in the future with regards to his own  roll. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Has he actually increased our profile? I think this is another myth that we are now some elite media darling because we hired him

If you want to look at it objectively, just imagine if you think Lampard has raised Everton’s ‘profile’.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

They will rely on him for guidance, being sensible business men. Unfortunately they've ended up taking the opinion of someone who gives jobs to his mates and doesn't have much of a clue about anything football wise. He's slithered his way in and it'll be very difficult to remove him now.

A loss to Forest is not enough to get rid of Gerrard. It will take the crowd really going for him against Chelsea and Brentford. Hopefully it happens. The longer he's here, the more time we're wasting.

We've already lost touch with Newcastle who were well behind us when he was appointed. I'd have to check but I presume we've spent more money than them as well. Maybe the tactical Chris Wood transfer would push them ahead of us.

I see it similar to where we were four years ago under Steve Bruce.

Just checked back and that 3-3 v Preston meant we had only lost once in 5 games but anyone with half a brain cell could see we were coming nowhere near promotion and we rolled the dice early and it just about paid off.

Of course it's different now but at least let's attempt to become a serious top 10 prem team again. With likes of Fulham and Bournemouth in top 10 of the table and regular top half teams like Wolves and Leicester both in current bad states we are wasting yet another opportunity to stake a claim.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Has he actually increased our profile? I think this is another myth that we are now some elite media darling because we hired him

He allowed us to sign Coutinho who no one else wanted.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Probably more worldwide so perhaps helps with commercial metrics, same with signing Coutinho.

48 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He allowed us to sign Coutinho who no one else wanted.

You really think " no one else " wanted Coutinho? Lol

More likely they never wanted him at the wages he commanded, but to straight up say no one wanted him just can't be accurate.

Wasn't he at Bayern on loan the season before where he actually did ok as well?

I think he also had the option to go elsewhere before we made his offer permanent.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You really think " no one else " wanted Coutinho? Lol

More likely they never wanted him at the wages he commanded, but to straight up say no one wanted him just can't be accurate.

Wasn't he at Bayern on loan the season before where he actually did ok as well?

I think he also had the option to go elsewhere before we made his offer permanent.

I’d be interested to see how Coutinho performs under a proper manager. He might work well in a decent system.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TRO said:

These things take time.....but I will almost guarantee you now.......If Ollie and Danny could find their shooting boots, from now, the landscape would change....

half these , fanciful claims would disappear......and we could get back to gradual improvement and sensible growth.

We are wallowing in self pity and negativity, due to the poor start.....and we are doing ourselves a disservice.

watch UTV podcast, it might, throw a bit of positivity, your way.

Leeds is not an easy place to go, and yet some are treating the place, with no respect......we should have won, we should have beat Man city too.....but we need to have more respect for what is trying to be done too.

There are no easy games.....and yet the disrespect is already gaining momentum, for Nottingham Forest, we are like spoilt kids.

If we win, it will be well deserved.

What? He’s been here a year!  We’re not upset with a poor start, we are upset with a whole year of absolute garbage.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Its funny isn't it, when games are won systems are rarely mentioned?

We hear all the time about Pep’s and Klopp’s respective systems, and Conte’s and Potter’s. The media love to discuss successful systems.

There’s a lot less talk about Gerrard’s system however, probably because it’s difficult to even identify it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sne said:

Gerrard isn't allowed to do any irreparable damage to the squad by alienating players that could be useful to the next manager.

This for me. If the Bournemouth performance wasn't so abject it was obvious he wanted Tyrone Mings out. (and before anyone says anything, him being "injured" is a load of bs that only got mentioned well after the dust had settled.)

• Like 3

Â